Bomarc ramjet replica going on a rocket

Moderator: Mike Everman

Irvine.J
Antipspambot question: 0

Bomarc ramjet replica going on a rocket

Post by Irvine.J » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:13 am

Strangely, I somehow got into working for a nice gentleman in the US on a ramjet for his rocket.
He's a member of a few clubs and is going for space, and I'm just sort of doing little things I can for him and enjoying every step of the way.

Rossco and I decided to do some flow modeling, so we can learn our programs a bit better, so we made a little video of the Mach diamonds etc forming
in the CFD program, the tail is a little over expanded so it seems to resonate in and out, and the intake is not quite as it was in real life...
none the less, this kicks ass.

Cheers to rossco for doing the bomarc model so well, its awesome.
Video link below.
Kick ass theme song attached.
http://www.mediafire.com/?2hzpywpw6wy

Looks like the server is down for maintenance for about an hour. Also my apologies for low quality still learning my screen capture program.
Still its cool.
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

airrocket

Re: Bomarc ramjet replica going on a rocket

Post by airrocket » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:05 pm

Sounds awesome would like to see some pics? Unable to access video, So what size is this ramjet diameter? Have you flown it yet?
Retro Flight
RetroFlight.com

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by metiz » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:39 pm

Irvine.J wrote:Strangely, I somehow got into working for a nice gentleman in the US on a ramjet for his rocket.
He's a member of a few clubs and is going for space
To what altitude can normal ramjets still function practically? if he realy is going for space or "semi space" (i.e 30 kilometers up or something), would it not be more practicall (in a sense) to go with a scramjet? he's got the rocket to get it up to speed...
Quantify the world.

airrocket

Post by airrocket » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:01 pm

SCRAM tech would be well beyond hobbyist capability. Ramjet is alone challenging at mach plus velocities. One would need to obtain a velocity great enough to carry model into space after engine burnout. Altitude depends on burn time and velocity obtained during that burn time. For a ramjet flying a vertical trajectory oxidizer/fuel ratio is constantly changing.
Retro Flight
RetroFlight.com

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:45 pm

hey guys,
The ramjet they intend to use is approx 6 inches diameter. Very similiar to the ones found on the F-23. The F-23 rocket flew to 150 000 feet with the assitance of 2 x 6 inch ramjets which is pretty incredible, i don't recall but up there it was still doing mach-something.

The difference in this project fundamentally to the "Norm" is that they are hoping to use the ramjets to lift the vehicle from anywhere up to 100k before engaging the rocket. Ramjets are pretty much go up to around 80 000 but depends entirely on the design, i guess its a case of how creative you want to be. They will accomplish this by launching the rocket with an initial boot to get it past the sound barrier. They have the capability to break mach 1 when the rocket is about 10 feet off the ground, should be really, really wicked to see.

My involvement is limited but i'm having heaps of fun doing stuff for them.

Also i checked the link and have had no problems on my end. Its just a bit of CFD.
Peace out
James.
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

airrocket

Post by airrocket » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:51 am

James,

Please keep me informed on progress. I'm very interested in seeing how this project develops and flies.

Doug
Retro Flight
RetroFlight.com