Scramjet projects still alive and kicking

Moderator: Mike Everman

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Scramjet projects still alive and kicking

Post by Viv » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:48 pm

http://www.spacedaily.com/2004/04031800 ... ru5bk.html

This is the NASA project that had a big problem with the seperation of the test plane from the booster rocket the last time they tried to fly it.

Better luck this time we hope.

Last years Australian test failed when the rocket developed a navigation problem.

The race is still on it seems

Viv

Edited the title too scramjet! sorry dyslexics four you:-)
Last edited by Viv on Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Glenn Olson
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Glenn Olson » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:57 am

NASA is currently checking out the B-52 mother ship. I noticed they've been moving it around Edwards AFB flightline lately. The pylon was attached when I saw it but not the test vehicle. I find in interesting that they are using the old B-52B rather than the newer B-52G they received about a year ago.

The last I heard about the Australian attempt was that they had achieved supersonic combustion. Can you refer me to an article that says otherwise? Thanks.

As an historical note, a few years ago I attended a dinner where one of the NASA researchers discussed their attempt using a Russian SAM missile a few months before. At the dinner he said that they had achieved supersonic combustion and that they thought they had zero or positive thrust. When their official report finally was published they had backed away from the claim of supersonic combustion. He showed us some great videos of the launch and the celebration afterward.
Glenn