noob ramjet

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mike Spike
Antipspambot question: 0

noob ramjet

Post by Mike Spike » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:29 am

Hi all, another noob is here!
I'm looking for some really simple ramjet plans, I want to make a ramjet that can be powerd by my FWE valvless pulsejet that I made from erics plans, I've studied Deckers ramjet plans at http://www.alt-accel.com/arla/decker/ramjet.htm what do you guys think about them?
I'm just building it for fun, so thrust and fuel consumption doesn't matter.
If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!

heada

Decker's ramjet

Post by heada » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:03 pm

Decker's ramjet design should work for you if built exactly as designed. If you want to change scales (make it larger or smaller) then you can't use his formulas as there are problems. In another post, I corrected all his formulas so that it could be scaled up or down as desired.

Depending on the material you make the ramjet out of, it may not last very long as ramjets get very hot and tend to melt just about anything but stainless, ceramic or graphite.

-Aaron

Jim Berquist

Ram Jet

Post by Jim Berquist » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:34 pm

Cool! Ram Jets again. I loved the one Eric put on the 180.

:shock:

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Mike Spike

Post by Mike Spike » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:52 pm

ok, so I've used the excel sheet heada posted earlier, right now I'm looking for some good pipes that I can use.
My goal is to make it completely weldless, I've got the basic design clear, but I can't sort out where to put the flame holder, should it be in the middle or slightly forwards/backwards?

Mike
If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!

heada

flameholder location

Post by heada » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:52 pm

I see no benefit to placing it any further aft from the defuser as you will not get any more pressure change without changing the shape of the combustion chamber (at which point, it is a defuser again and no longer the combustion chamber)

My opinion is to place it fairly close to the forward end of the combustion chamber. Besides size ratios, the type and location of the flame holder is where you can play the most to see what differences in thrust you get.

-Aaron