Can you have a "carbureted" ramjet???

Moderator: Mike Everman

NickC
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by NickC » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:54 pm

I've been rekindling the idea of making one of those cool pulsejet RC planes and was wondering if a ramjet could be added to one without requiring a fuel pump.

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:09 am

Hmm, I've been considering for "The most practical ramjet" catagory using the mini gas stove cans and locking mechanism I was talking about a while ago. Only problem is when you lay them side on the gas line inside the can itself is shaped like an "L" to only burn vapour. However, if you cut a small notch in the can you could lock it in upside down to run liquid, thats what I'm going to try anyway, should be barrels of fun, or flames, or both. That way atleast you wouldn't need a fuel pump.

NickC

Post by NickC » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:50 pm

well a fuel pump and a metal pressure vessel are both pretty heavy

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:16 pm

but, the fuel pump is a good deal more complex. For simplicity's sake, I prefer pressure vessels. But, they are a good deal harder to fill... Can't just pop a cap and pour in more fuel.

But, without a fuel pump, I really doubt you could run a ramjet, I just don't think there's the proper conditions for such a thing, If I remember correctly you have a high pressure area where you usually dump the fuel.
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!