"The Millenium Lance" Project Build

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

re: "The Millenium Lance" Project Build

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:08 pm

That first one must be wrong - 12 amps and only 300 CFM? How can this be? That second one looks good if the specs are correct, but neither one gives us an idea of air speed at the throat. Hmm ...

An impeller would be better, I would think ... like an oversized leaf blower. Of course, they take some power to work well, too!

There is nothing wrong with cones joining cylinders, as long as the "break" in contour isn't too sharp. This is especially true joining onto the front of combustion chamber, as the speed there is supposed to be low.

L Cottrill

heada

Post by heada » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:47 pm

What about a tear-drop shaped cone? Start off fairly thin, slowly increasing in width (almost logarithmically?) and then coming back around.

Here is a very crude drawing (done freehand...with a bad mouse, in 5 seconds...and I have NO artistic abilities)

-Aaron
Attachments
teardrop cone.JPG
very bad drawing of a teardrop aerospike
teardrop cone.JPG (10.33 KiB) Viewed 12953 times

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:23 pm

It is quite difficult to roll a sheetmetal cone shaped like that. You could make a composite cone in that shape but it is still somewhat difficult.

It is the correct idea though.
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

heada

Post by heada » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:47 pm

I was thinking that I could turn something like that on my wood lathe made out of styrofoam (closed cell blue foam) and then cover it in carbon fiber. I do similar things for my rockets all the time (boat tails, custom nose cones, etc) Once the carbon fiber is cured, I use acetone to dissolve the foam and I'm left with a very strong but hollow form.

Attaching a hollow cone made from carbon fiber to the ramjet would be a bit of a challenge, but I was thinking of embedding some spars into the foam and then wrapping the carbon fiber around that so I could do a metal to metal attachment.

If I find that this works, I wonder if the space could be used for a small fuel pump and fuel bladder.....bah, thats just crazy talk!

-Aaron

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:59 pm

At the moment I am making a mold of a cone so I can make carbon fiber copies of it. I plan on using one of them for my ramjet, already figured out how to attatch it and a way of pumping the fuel through it. But my cone isn't really to change the expansion ratios for my jet, more to smoothe the airflow over the fuel injection system. Plus a cf cone sticking out the front looks sweet! Gotta cover the back of it with heat resistant paint so the whole thing doesnt melt...
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:23 am

Check out these beasts...

http://www.spencerturbine.com/blower.ht ... entrifugal
and
http://www.cincinnatifan.com/centrifuga ... lowers.htm
and
http://www.thomasnet.com/
has a big list.

Larry I'll be banging up that cone now, I just woke up, straight to work.
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:06 am

There goes the planet...
No flare as yet, I think the spike will help the incoming airflow pass well out to the side walls, though, I still got my big ball of bluetac here...yippee,
This look ok Larry? Inlet area is much smaller but doesn't seem to causing any issues when I blow into it.
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (76.84 KiB) Viewed 12910 times

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:30 am

SLow motion...LOL!
Just waiting on my gas nozzles then i can fire this baby up shortly with its new mods.
Attachments
slowmo.mp4
haha
(635.07 KiB) Downloaded 535 times

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:40 am

Did you use the zincalium (check spelling) for the newest addition to the intake?

Looking good, I'm startin my metal work tomorrow and should have the jet all wired up and ready to go next week!!
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:24 am

Yep sure did (Zincalum) its only 1 mm thick, easy as pie to weld/bend shape etc. Took me about 4 minutes, I cut most of it with tinsnips then just angle ground off the rest.

larry cottrill

Re: re: "The Millenium Lance" Project Build

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:59 pm

Irvine.J wrote:Check out these beasts...
Ooooooh ... now you're talking.

I really like those Cincinnati ones called "Pressure Blower" - the little square outlet hole surrounded by a big heavy-duty flange. I'll bet even a 5hp one of those babies would be a wonder to behold!

Yes, some nice ones to choose from! For ramjet testing, you'd favor the ones with large, narrow volutes and small outlets, I think.

L Cottrill

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:03 pm

Irvine.J wrote:There goes the planet...
No flare as yet, I think the spike will help the incoming airflow pass well out to the side walls, though, I still got my big ball of bluetac here...yippee,
This look ok Larry? Inlet area is much smaller but doesn't seem to causing any issues when I blow into it.
Nice, as usual - you still need a slight flare, though. True, the air next to the spike will be flowing down the cone wall, but the air at the outer edge of the inlet will be impinging straight on! You need that flare to "wrap it around" smoothly, so it doesn't immediately break away from the edge in turbulent eddies.

Nice work, though - looks like a winner to me.

L Cottrill

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:11 pm

Here is a picture of how I made my new high pressure injectors, with tiny .4 or something (its hard to tell) drill holes. At max they are .5 mm, but i think they are smaller then that. Anyway here is a picture of how they turned out, most happy!

Also ok larry i'll give it a tiny flare, but I will run it in this mode once or twice first for experimentations sake. In the future I'd suggest we put the quadjector in the actual inlet spike, shooting the gas outwards towards the walls of the cc, it should be pretty easy secure in there, its now 2 am, I can't wait!

I forgot to say in the injector pic to also get a hammer and a small nail and make a small dint where your going to start drilling your hole
Attachments
injector.JPG
injector.JPG (55.07 KiB) Viewed 12830 times
quadjetctor.JPG
quadjetctor.JPG (42.02 KiB) Viewed 12831 times

heada

Post by heada » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:58 pm

Larry Cottrill wrote:
Irvine.J wrote:Check out these beasts...
Ooooooh ... now you're talking.

I really like those Cincinnati ones called "Pressure Blower" - the little square outlet hole surrounded by a big heavy-duty flange. I'll bet even a 5hp one of those babies would be a wonder to behold!

Yes, some nice ones to choose from! For ramjet testing, you'd favor the ones with large, narrow volutes and small outlets, I think.

L Cottrill
What about this one?

http://www.mdhydro.com/inline-centrifugal-fans.html

For $350 (not cheap, I know) you get a fan that can do 1140 CFM and has a variable speed control.

I've found larger (both in physical size and in volume of air) but most of those are industrial (220V 3-phase) and beyond what I can supply.

Just looking for the ideal air source.

-Aaron

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:03 pm

I think its 550 for the 12 inch fan...

Why not build one? Get an old truck turbo and rig an old ventilation electric motor to it? I bet it would explode but might work for a few mintues...

Why is silicone rtv so expensive? Stupid carbon fiber, pain in my ass
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!