Fuel pressure.... Go
Fuel saftey.... Go
Gas Valves... Go
Ignition.... Go
Artificial Airspeed.... Go
Fire Extinguisher.... Go
Flame retardent suit...Go
Will signed... Go

Flight, we are ready for jet engine ignition, T minus 9 hour 50 minutes.

I've already made a nice big video to upload on youtube, all we need now, is for this baby to light up and run well...stand by...so excited.
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

Zippiot
Antipspambot question: 0

re: "The Millenium Lance" Project Build

Post by Zippiot » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:22 pm

Wont let me print landscape in cone designer...
Did you find a fix for that?

-scratch that figured it out :)
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:59 am

Oh my freaking fire retardent clothes that was loud!!! AHAHAHAHHA holy moley!!! Hahahaha...ok, we have blue flame ignition... I got it on film, though the flame seems to be just at the inlet and too far foward on the lance, I'm going to move the fuel lines back an inch or two then try again...ahahaha IT WORKS!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Videos and stuff to come shortly!
A little teaser for you.

Larry-
I think my holes are too small, the pressure gets to a point I turn the gas up and can't get any more out, and I think its a bit lacking on the fuel side, I'm going to drill my holes alot bigger unless you can see a problem with that, then mount them back slightly (about 1/2 cm behind the highest point on the lance, hopefully pushing more air/fuel mix into the centre of the engine.
Attachments
teaser.mp4
Don't be fooled by the camera being closer to the blower, I jumped back in fright at the BOOM this thing let off, watch the heat shield move backwards from the shockwave.
(796.38 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
Last edited by Irvine.J on Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:13 am

It sounds very angry at you!!

Lookin good...I need to get off my lazy butt and get to work.
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:17 am

I'd suggest with no flameholder put your gas slightly behind the aerospike, save the blue creeping foward a bit. Yours by the look of it has a small one, i'd still consider putting it right behind no more then 1cm or so, seems like the way to go on these aerospike ramjets, though we will wait for larrys oppinion on that.

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:59 am

I've uploaded my movie check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nej3VUlJ_xk
or
http://mangyjet.freewebpage.org/rj.html

Before you do though, I moved the fuel lines slightly behind the apex of the aerospike, every now and again I got the odd blue flame shooting out, but it was more a blower issue then anything. I managed to correct it... However most of the blue flame was sticking...clinging to if you like the lance, I think my pressure nozzles were too small, I don't think I was getting enough gas...so I will open them right up or possibly drill out the sides, there seems to be enough airflow to make it work though, I look foward to your comments or suggestions. My tailflame should have been much larger I think...MORE GAS?!

I'm not sure but my mixing seems to be a little off, and henceforth from now on I'd assume that All your gas injectors should be inside facing out towards the walls or similiar, not in towards the centre.
Give it a minute or two to process.

I'm uploading a short version of the movie...this engine was much harder to start also.

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:13 pm

looking pretty good! (I really like the looks of the thing!)

However, are you getting enough air? It looked like your jet was burning too rich. Though probably the sparkler, just wondering...

I want to see if you've got any thrust! (I hope so, it would be sad for such a pretty jet to be "worthless")

try more propane! actually... try lots of stuff!
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:04 am

Yeah it takes a little bit for the sparkler to burn off, even when fully burnt it still throws some yellow particles, normally I'd pull it out, but wasn't going to even try it with this one. Heres the short video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7DXARSQHVo

I'll try alot more gas today, I broke all my really small drillbits anyway! Its still "works" though, and its far from worthless I garentee it.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:36 am

With a big one like that you could definately use a lot more air. With more air those big flames will get smaller and dissapear into the engine, and you can give it a ton more fuel to get the same size flames, except they will be much much much brighter and very loud.

If you can find a scrap ultralight motor and fan you could get that and make a housing and convergent funnel that should give you some decent speed :D

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:43 am

I think one of these would make a wicked windtunnel!! Could duct it down to get massive speeds, my blower makes 200 mph winds but very little cfm (this monster is in the 2k cfm range!)

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200007174

These can be had for around 100 dollars too! A wind tunnel would make a much better way of testing a ramjet over a leaf blower...
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

heada

Post by heada » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:18 am

For slightly lower price, you can get this:

http://tinyurl.com/yl63l4

slightly larger footprint but 7200 cfm.

With the start of the New Year, my first task on building my ramjet will be to build a wind tunnel that can push air near 350mph and at atleast 10000 cfm. I'm planning on getting a 48" diameter fan that will generate 22700 cfm, duct it down to 8" and then open it back up to 12" (convergent-divergent nozzle) I'll add a static pitot tube connected to an airspeed indicator from an airplane to measure the airspeed.

I'll start a build thread once I start on it.

-Aaron

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:20 am

Dunno if you should make it convergent divergent, but its an idea I have wanted to do forever...
It's not that I dont have the money, I just cant justify spending 100+ on something to test ramjets when I could build a bunch of them for that much money. I know it would definately help in designing them, fine I'll do it but you first and tell us how it goes!

I guess I could use the tunnel to test r/c planes or rocket...
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Mike Everman

Re: re: "The Millenium Lance" Project Build

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:15 am

heada wrote:350mph and at atleast 10000 cfm. I'm planning on getting a 48" diameter fan that will generate 22700 cfm, duct it down to 8" and then open it back up to 12" (convergent-divergent nozzle) I'll add a static pitot tube connected to an airspeed indicator from an airplane to measure the airspeed.

I'll start a build thread once I start on it.

-Aaron
Yaah! You thump chest! I was happy with the 12 incher. ;-)
You guys are getting me going on this.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mike Everman

Re: re: "The Millenium Lance" Project Build

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:41 am

Irvine.J wrote:Heres the short video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7DXARSQHVo
James, that's phenominal! I just got around to watching the video. Man, you're half way to a Pod Racer.

I'd be interested to know what thrust you get, as if it is a motor jet (which it is...). Put the ramjet complete with the blower together on a trolley and make an awesome video!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:51 am

Thanks Mike glad you liked it, I've returned the blower nozzle back to its smaller diameter, and changed the fuel lines for a run tonight so stay tuned for that video...in about 3 hours or so.

Heada and Zippiot...they both look like great products. However does CFM directly relate to airspeed, the big fan for a little less would be harder to duct, but at 7200 cfm would I be getting more airspeed, and would the motors burn itself out you think if we duct it to 6 inches or so? They would make a great christmas present for sure! I'm thinking a gocart, the yellow blower 2 car batteries with 12 to 120 V converters, and my big ramjet, would go really well. What do you guys think about the fans for future testing, a really high power one like those 2 would be great, though would they be pushing more then my petrol blower?