Aerosol cans

Moderator: Mike Everman

thecheat
Antipspambot question: 0

re: Aerosol cans

Post by thecheat » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:06 pm

yeah, I love the picture... it took me a little while to figure out why you called it fo mi chin... For my chin... very clever...

Hey, another option is to get some "guava nectar" (I think that's what it's called) one of the few times that I've seen a drink come in a STEEL can (pretty sturdy one at that!) most of them are aluminum now, but you might be able to find some in steel. Oh, and they're heavily mexicanish... (a good bit of it's in spanish) if that helps you find it in the grocery store.

PS: they didn't have ridged sides if I remember correctly, which differentiates them from soup cans... which themselves might not be a bad idea! Come to think of it, those tomato paste cans are just what you might need!

Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!

tufty

Post by tufty » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:41 pm

Awwww. Fo Mi Chin is dead. That made me sad. It's still the bestest name for a pulsejet, ever.

Simon

larry cottrill

Re: re: Aerosol cans

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:29 pm

berquistj@peoplepc.com wrote:Larry: Fo Mi Chin is alright. What was the life time on the Can section?
A few MINUTES of good running. That's all it took. Nature always sides with the hidden flaw ...
yeah, I love the picture... it took me a little while to figure out why you called it fo mi chin... For my chin... very clever...
Not quite - actually, it's supposed to have a "Chinese" sound (pron. Foe Mee Chin, i.e. "Foamy Chin"), since it's a quasi "Chinese" engine and was made from a Gillette Foamy can. The label in the photo is 100% original - a thin plastic shell that was slipped back on after the engine was welded up and the ends re-painted white - but was altered by meticulous cut & paste work in MS Paint.

Glad you like it - one of my best "father & daughter" shots, ever. I take all the pictures of me and my engines with a tripod and shutter timer, since no one else in my life wants to mess with it.

L Cottrill

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:27 pm

I always read it like "for my chin" but foamy makes more sense...

Soup cans die real quick in high heat, anything that gets red will easily burn through a chunky soup can.
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Najm

Post by Najm » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:55 pm

Soup cans die real quick in high heat, anything that gets red will easily burn through a chunky soup can.
Thats because it is made out of tin.

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:22 pm

No they are steel, tin coated on the inside but they are steel.
Just very thin steel that doesn't like red heat for very long
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:29 pm

Najm & Zippiot -

A clarification. "Tin cans" are called that because at one time, they almost all really WERE made out of tin. In Western countries, at least, they have been made of coated low-grade steel for several decades. It is entirely possible that in Pakistan, solid tin might still be used for a lot of canned goods, so you guys may be talking about two different things without realizing it.

I think in the US, there is one product I've seen that is still packed in actual tin cans, namely certain brands of evaporated milk. But, it's possible that even these are really steel, just very heavily tin coated; I have never tried to melt one to find out. These cans have a dull grey, almost lead-like appearance.

L Cottrill

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:44 pm

I Noticed some cans with a golden sheen on both the inside and outside, they all turn red hot and donnot melt in my furnace like tin does. I did find a zinc can once, I think it was used to store potatoes...
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!