Pulse ramjet from Messerschmidt

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Pulse ramjet from Messerschmidt

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:02 pm

Just thought I should alert the forum visitors interested only in ramjets that there's an interesting thread under 'valveless pulsejets' -- the title is 'Truth or dare' -- that deals with a 1970s hybrid pulsejet-ramjet developed by no other than Messerschmidt (in the guise of the Messerschmidt Bolkow Blohm combine).

Here's a picture. See more details in the above thread.
Attachments
0057.jpg
0057.jpg (33.82 KiB) Viewed 7921 times

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:39 pm

Bruno -

I finally took a couple of minutes to look at this, and it really looks pretty good! At first, I thought it was a sort of straight Lockwood, but no - the tailpipe is way too wide for that. It is a sophisticated re-work of the Schubert, with the addition of a nifty streamlined 'Tharrat cap' [or stylistically speaking, in this case a 'dunce cap']!

Or, can you prove me wrong? I hope not -- I have always liked the simple elegance of the Schubert since I first saw it in your fine Valveless paper.

I especially like the 'burner grille' to keep cool air out at the chamber wall, just like in a turbo combustor.

Is there any performance data, or other evidence of actual test firing?

Incidentally, I have a small model of the 'E-Z-just' inlet I proposed a couple of years back [similar to the 'improved' example in the attached drawing, but without boring out the lower threads] -- do you think such a device could form an 'adjustable impedance inlet' for something like a Schubert front end [allowing the pipe to be shortened somewhat, for example]?

L Cottrill
Attachments
E-Z-just_inlet.gif
E-Z-just_inlet.gif (10.65 KiB) Viewed 7309 times

yipster

Post by yipster » Thu May 13, 2004 9:21 pm

Messerschmidt coal-burning Lippisch P13 ramjet at http://www.nurflugel.com/Nurflugel/Lipp ... ugels.html