Motorjet

Moderator: Mike Everman

redneck1
Antipspambot question: 0

re: Motorjet

Post by redneck1 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:54 pm

i have a few colorful adjetives for it but to my knowledge this will be a first.
hoooooo weeeee that was loud!!!!! ( do it again!)

redneck1

Post by redneck1 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:31 pm

problem with being alive today is most everything has been done, if i were alive 150 years ago i would have invented flight. i think. and things that havent been done havent been for a reason, so i would like to find out the reason for this one. this motor jet idea i had at the age of about 13 myself, kinda a ducted fan with afterburner, a hair dryer on drugs. but dismissed the idea cause i couldnt figure a way to get thrust. i didnt know about ramjets back then, so i am excited about this. i really hope it works so i can tell myself i wasnt stupid..... heeheee. i wish you luck with yours. right now i have mine aside and am working on a valveless pulsejet with a foward facing intake, without much luck in design it seems. but i will figure it out.

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:16 am

We dont usually see ducted ramjets except on rockets, anyone know why? Cooling maybe, the air should be able to flow easily over the outside.

Yes, as I have said, my shop vac with nozzle shoots air out at over 400 mph (says the box), but even without the nozzle it seems to work better with the washer in place...
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

redneck1

Post by redneck1 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:30 pm

kinda sucks eh bro? well its kool at least we get to play with this stuff. hey have fun on your trip. now i wonder if there would be any advantage to a double augmentor? one inside the other?added cooling? added weight. not a good thing. possiably added thrust depending on length? cold it also double as an afterburner? an after burner sorrounding an augmentor now that sounds crazy wonder if it would do anything? now i was thinking (not much gets done when i do that) but these mugs really seem to me to be nothing much more than a simple burner can wihout a turbine driven compressor. take a few of these, put them around a shaft with a compressor and a turbine and i wonder what you could get out of it. maybe use a leaf blower impeller and maybe some sort of a turbine from a turbo charger or make one by cutting steel pipes in thirds down the center and mounting them somehow.perhaps by clamping them between two pieices of metal to look like a sunflower or something of that shape. i tell you what if you wanna turn these mugs into a turbine i think that would be the way to do it. it would take a big model airplane but i bet it would be fast.wonder if that would be a practical way to build a turbine?

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:44 pm

True, it doesn't make a lot of sence to have a conventional turbine with gas flow concentrated at a single point. However, since you guys are interested in working with augmentors anyway, here's a simple turbine that could be entirely enclosed within an augmentor (though I didn't show it that way).

The idea is to make the turbine by cutting an accurate disk around a center hole, then accurately drill eight holes and cut eight slots as accurately as possible. This should result in a very well-balanced slotted disk. Then, the blades are twisted to a slight pitch (maybe 4 or 5 degrees) and the disk is mounted so it has the same pitch down into the flow stream. It spins almost flat, like the blade of a gyrocopter or something, and is entirely immersed in the exhaust flow stream.

One can only speculate about the efficiencies (or lack thereof) of such a scheme, but in a reasonable size augmentor, it would be a very simple thing to try (except for cooling and lubricating the bearings - that might not be so simple! Note the use of an exhaust-drafted cooling shell in the drawing ;-)

L Cottrill
Attachments
Pulse_Turbine.jpg
Helical turbine that is used fully immersed in a large cross-section exhaust flow - ideal use would be in an augmentor. Drawing Copyright 2003 Larry Cottrill
(120.89 KiB) Downloaded 821 times

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:20 pm

You might try Durahms Rock Hard Watter Putty as opposed to glue. It does not burn, but may not stick to metal super well, score the metal first would be my best advice. Also anchoring cement, same not burning thing but it expands as it dries. Or even better, mix the two together along with some shreded fiberglass or carbon fibers, strong as all hell and wont burn!!!
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:23 pm

I'm going to whip up a soup can motorjet. Well its not going to have its own fan I'll just shop vac it, testing a new type of design. If I can figure out how to recharge the battery in my digital camera I'll have some pics up soon...
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

redneck1

Post by redneck1 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:11 pm

hey bro just wondering how things were going for ya.... keep us posted please...

redneck1

Post by redneck1 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:55 pm

hey is this project still going on?

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:26 am

It is hard to patent a concept ;)
Meaning that there are many patents on jets engines, possibly thousands as each special part has its own design. The name being copywriten would be your only issue here!

Dont start a new thread, once you start posting here again people will look
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

redneck1

Post by redneck1 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:27 am

hey yall i have a post id like someone to look at, the link is
http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3269
please look at my design and tell me what yall think.... thanks.....

redneck1

Post by redneck1 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:01 am

yo bro good luck with everything but i think you should slow down a small bit and remember that you have r&d to do before you even worry about web sites/ automation/ and anyhting else other than making one work. so build your first one ok? what motor are you gonna use for your motor jet? what rpm range? different rpms need different blade pitches for optimal preformance. also the taller the blade the tip needs a different pitch than the base because the tip travels faster than the base. with a small engine like this i dont think you will have to worry about the length of the blade but rpms and blade pitch you do need to worry.... that will determine the speed and mass of air entering the intake to tell you how much fuel to send in the engine for a good burn. to make things easier you may wanna build a large one that is heavy and use a big electric motor to see if a motor jet can even potentally make enough of a power boost to even worry about making one for a power plant. just to see what kinds of thrus you can get... also it would be really easy to make changes and adjustments not to mention cheeper possiably......

and as for my design its supposed to be valveless though i am pretty dren sure the idea will work i have alot of demensions to work first beofre i can build it..... good luck friend