steve's TLAR ramjet

Moderator: Mike Everman

Red_Armor
Antipspambot question: 0

re: steve's TLAR ramjet

Post by Red_Armor » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:25 am

Casal Garcia, well well you have a good taste for wine, that wine is from my contry Portugal, do you speak portuguese?

And one more time thank you for your advise, I will study hard this subject to be at your levek (well mora and less) if I can build one I'll be happy.

Please if you need something don't hesitae !!!
The knowledge that you seek is the source of my power

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: re: steve's TLAR ramjet

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:59 am

Red_Armor wrote:Casal Garcia, well well you have a good taste for wine, that wine is from my contry Portugal, do you speak portuguese?
No, I don't speak Portuguese. I got a bottle from a person at the Portuguese Embassy in Zagreb. Vinho verde was served at a diplomatic reception given by the Embassy and I told the Embassy staff I liked it very much. Et the exit, a bottle of Casal Garcia was waiting for me as a token of appreciation. Very nice of them, I must say. Very pleasant people. I just opened the bottle couple of days ago. Good stuff!
Red_Armor wrote:And one more time thank you for your advise, I will study hard this subject to be at your levek (well mora and less) if I can build one I'll be happy.
You are welcome. Just be careful with my advice. I do not know these things the best, I just respond to people's questions the most. When real problems arrive, I have to yield to real experts. Fortunately, there are other people in the forum, and some of them know a lot.

Red_Armor

Post by Red_Armor » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:55 am

Pk thanks any way.
- Casal Garcia
- Alvarinho
- Gatão
and others are the best Vinho verde that I know. very nice stuff.
The knowledge that you seek is the source of my power

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:46 am

i have done a lot of testing with ramjets, and i found a huge performance booster. it is quite simple
find or make a nozzle for ur leaf blower that brings the opening down to around 1 inch or so (this dramatically increases the amount of airspeed going directly into the jet)
weld a washer onto the front of ur ramjet that has an opening the same size of the nozzle for the leafblower.

run the nozzle tip almost right up to the opening of the ramjet, u may need to bak it off at first to get it started but once started they should almost be touching

there is a problem, there is little air moving around the engine so it gets hot...and now that the air going inside is so mch more concetrated the heat builds up rapidly.

the air is very cold when it comes out of the nozzle, but if u run it thru the jet u will notice not only does the air slow but it heats. as i have read this is vital to the performance, not only does more air move into the engine from the concetration but the expansion is drastically increased, pressure goes up and heat goes up. the flame going out of my ramjet increased from light blue about 1 foot long to blinding white/orange about 4 feet long...u think its loud now just wait until u gotta explain it to the cops (running it at night isnt the best idea i guess)

hopefully u didnt stop reading because this is important, u said u were running at full throttle? is that the most fuel u can get into it? if so then this may not work as well as u hope, the heat and air expansion are best suited for fuels that expand a lot with them. gasoline is wut i usually use because of the price, i am yet to try diesel but i have played with white gas (freaking great) 99% alcohol (pretty and loud) and paint thinner (i was bored and it actually works) liquid lamp fuel (parafin wax, worx fine very clean not much power).

i run the simplest fuel injection of all, just a lab squirt bottle with a silicon tube that plugs into a copper tube that runs inside of the jet. it burns fuel as fast as i can squeeze it out, and the pressure inside sometimes gets so great that my blower is knocked away from the intake by a blast of blu flame.
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:28 am

i have to strap it to 2 cinderblocks to keep it from moving...still rumbles the blocks a lot, i will try to rig it to a skateboard with a fish scale to see wut thrust it is making
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:02 am

ok so i have learend many lessons about strapping a jet to a skateboard.
i ran outta fuel the other day so i pretty much was using a mix of gas oil lamp fuel and white gas...worx quite well...
oil gives off a smoke that almost makes u puke...it burned quite loud and bright.

so my fish scale records around 4 lbs of thrust but everything is rigged wrong, i bet i cud get about 6 outta it if i nail down everything, but for now the best i got is 6

i also got a little surprize, the rope melted away and the skateboard shot at me...didnt have much power once the air was gone but it did scare me a little...
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:57 pm

What an amazing device!
Did you need a great deal of forced air to maintain the idle, or once running can it sustain itself?
How do you find the efficency compared to a chinese style PJ?
This is a beautiful engine, I can only hope to one day make something that cool. I just keep repeating the video... very cool steve.

steve

Post by steve » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:27 pm

thanks! it's nice to see that people are still looking at my old stuff and getting something out of it. Unfortunately I havent really made any new contributions to the forum in almost a year, due to "college life" but hopefully I can start working on jets again sometime in the near future...

larry cottrill

Re: re: steve's TLAR ramjet

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:37 pm

Number47 wrote:Did you need a great deal of forced air to maintain the idle, or once running can it sustain itself?
Number47 -

A ramjet by its very nature REQUIRES forced air. In "real life" you use something else (launch plane, rocket boosters, whatever ... ) to get the ramjet moving fast enough for the ram air to feed it. They're the simplest form of jet engine, but NOT necessarily the easiest to use. They have mostly been used for unmanned aircraft such as certain types of missiles.

L Cottrill

speedhunter

Post by speedhunter » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:28 pm

heelo, my nameis jacar (strange spanish name, I know)

I'm a total newby in ramjets but I found an article with some drawings but they where different to ours. diffuser was longer than the exit nozzle. what is better to do?

thank you fot reading (my englisch is not so good because I live in the netherlands)

Thedon

Post by Thedon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:58 pm

On Steves ramjet.. What are the dimensions for the flame holder... Well other than the ones given but for the radius of the bend

pomel

Re: steve's TLAR ramjet

Post by pomel » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:11 am

Hi!
i apologize for my english, i can not practice it at all.
I am from mexico and i am really interested in this kind of jet because i am going to use it as a burner to dry food.
I got several questions to steve but it looks that him is not going to appear soon.

I have been trying to understand who it woks, so i did a analisys of fluid mechanics to find out who the turbulence helps the combustion but i only could make the analisys without combustion. I used only the fluid flow through the ramjet at 360 Km/h.

So guys i ask for your help to find the ecuations to make a chanGe on the dimensions of steve ramjet because i need a few more power (flow heat).

thanks i apreciate your help
Attachments
PlaneCuts7.png
VELOCITY VS PRESURE
PlaneCuts5.png
VELOCITY VS PRESURE
PlaneCuts3.png
PlaneCuts2.png
PlaneCuts1.png
BoundaryContours24.png
BoundaryContours19.png
BoundaryContours12.png