ram jet water heater

Moderator: Mike Everman

rmckee777
Antipspambot question: 0

ram jet water heater

Post by rmckee777 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:57 am

I just came back from living in South Africa for 3 years, and while living in a place in the transkai I came across an unusual water heater. It was a stainless pipe in the shape of a giant dynajet pulse jet pipe about four feet long that was water jacketed. You took a tin coffee mug with a piece of paper in it for a wick and filled it with 1/4 cup of parafin and lit it. then you placed the cup under the verticaly mounted pipe and shimmed it up untill it started a draft. Then you turned on the tap and you had hot water. Man did this thing roar and shot out high speed flame a foot out the end. a simple ram jet of a kink or what?

Tom

Re: ram jet water heater

Post by Tom » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:35 am

Howler Tube? Sounds like one to me. Then again, I can liken anything to a howler tube :p

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Rossco

Re: ram jet water heater

Post by Rossco » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:21 am

Rijke tube if im correct.
Very interesting divice, and the simplest of all.
The heater, which can be any heat sorce, placed at the correct spot in the pipe (even single dia), will set up a resonant fundamental standing wave.

I have built a burner a foot and a half round that will opperate on the same principle, for turning rubbish into something usefull.
Problem i see with it is that it flows all the hot gass straight out the exhast/chimny, good for thrust (pulse jet config) bad for heating.
What i had wanted, and will do is optimise shape and config to produce a more efficient burning by way of pre combstion pressure. (back to back 1/4, 1/4 wave config?) With stalled gas, it will therefore be more efficient heat transfer to whatever your heating, and better emmisions. (louder tho)

Dream, Dream, there just esnt enough time in each day/second/lifetime.
Maybe when the weather stops topping the 30's (or so) deg. C too.

Rossco

PS very different to Ram Jet! by the way. Unless they had a local air speed of 400 or so for it to opperate in.
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]