metal jam jar experiments

Moderator: Mike Everman

steve
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: metal jam jar experiments

Post by steve » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:39 pm

you could also wrap the coil with aluminium foil or light sheet metal to hold the heat in better.

I thought this was kind of funny from that website you posted:
This demo should only be performed using a plastic jug. The large quantities of gases (H2O and CO2) produced during the very rapid combustion could easily shatter a glass container.
Anyway I tested my snorkeler quickly using propane but didn't accomplish much because I need a sparkplug. What I did see seemed promising though. I'll just have to keep testing and modifying.

BTW do you think it would be worthwhile to make a similar snorkeler with a cone inside like the conventional reynst? I have no time to make it now, but that would be something interesting to experiment with eventually.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:54 pm

I am now a firm believer in the inner cone. Makes me wonder if it would help an LH type, too, though perhaps since the blasts come from both directions, it would be a simple tube segment(?)
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

hinote

Post by hinote » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:22 pm

Mike Everman wrote:I am now a firm believer in the inner cone. Makes me wonder if it would help an LH type, too, though perhaps since the blasts come from both directions, it would be a simple tube segment(?)
Mike, I'm not so sure about the "classic" L-H type--the gas motion is primarily in the x-plane.

But, somebody just HAS to try this on a Chinese.

After all, there's some family resemblance, as previously discussed. At the very least, both types have a "dead-end" combustion chamber, and the turbulent flow might just be enhanced by the inner cone. Also, because it presents so little to the y dimension it shouldln't upset the acoustic properties of the engine.

Hmmmmm

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:25 pm

Hmmmm is right!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:53 am

Mike Everman wrote:Hmmmm is right!
I see no hmmmmms there. A Chinese is (veeery broadly speaking) a 2-dimensional kind of Reynst. Its intake is a single conduit on one side, rather than an annular slit. So, let's reduce the Reynst to two dimensions.

Look at a longitudinal half-section of a Reynst pot. I have added a wall where the centerline used to be for a clearer impression.

The layout is immediately obvious. Instead of the internal cone, the Chinese would use an angled vane to guide the flow.
Attachments
halfreynst.JPG
halfreynst.JPG (9.42 KiB) Viewed 10952 times

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:35 am

Bruno, that's really good. It makes it look a lot more like a thrust engine, too, even though the cross-section is awkward.

L Cottrill

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:20 am

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:
I see no hmmmmms there. A Chinese is (veeery broadly speaking) a 2-dimensional kind of Reynst. Its intake is a single conduit on one side, rather than an annular slit. So, let's reduce the Reynst to two dimensions.

Look at a longitudinal half-section of a Reynst pot. I have added a wall where the centerline used to be for a clearer impression.

The layout is immediately obvious. Instead of the internal cone, the Chinese would use an angled vane to guide the flow.
Hey Bruno can you hear me chuckling all the way from Canada:-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:57 am

I'm glad to see all this evolutionary thought, how one shape transmogrifies into another. Tonight I attached a long piece of 1/4 inch titanium tubing to my regenerator coil. I bought a bunch of scrap pieces of titanium on eBay and some had the bends in them so that was nice. I might shorten the length later so it doesn't extend into the snorkel as far. I don't like all my bulky fittings, but it's all I have to work with right now. It would be nice to get some 316 stainless steel and shape something more elegant. I wouldn't mind having steel fittings too instead of the brass ones. I guess I will test the configuration this Saturday.
Steve and Mike, an inner cone would be nice, but tweaking it up and down would be challenging and require a lot of patience. If you could make a track for the spokes to ride on up and down inside the vessel, that would be neat. That way you could slide it up and down and then lock it at the height you want. The tracks would be on the inside walls of the tank of course.
Mark
Attachments
050104231334.jpg
050104231334.jpg (111.39 KiB) Viewed 10924 times
Last edited by Mark on Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Presentation is Everything

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:20 am

Here's an evolving idea, the hole in the elbow is too tiny and I am going to drill it out and try to redirect my side port thrust south. In this way, it might just start to take on the features of a Chinese pulsejet. But again, this thing doesn't rev very well, the narrow end of my elbow, the part that screws into the combustion chamber has very thick walls.
I was hoping to improve on my "drill one hole" Logan pulsejet by making the side port an elbow-o-dyne. I think I might try to just thread a piece of soft steel tubing of that diameter and shape and bend it to do my bidding as a side port directed south. And one day I can push a toy car with it or something similar but less primitive.
Mark
Attachments
050104231122.jpg
050104231122.jpg (94.25 KiB) Viewed 10919 times

jmhdx

Post by jmhdx » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:09 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:

An excellent post Bruno. I think thats a great way to bridge the gap between Reynst style pots and chinese or whatever types of pulse combuster. I hope it will encourage all to think three dimensionally.
Incidentally with the other half in place, would I be right that nobody has yet to build and run what in Reynst's and your opinion is at least theoreticaly an optimum design?
Mike.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:42 pm

I occured to me today after reviewing Mark's heroic efforts to run the snorkeler on propane that one of the only things that hasn't been tried (and the method that is most likely to work IMHO) is lipfeed. After all, isn't that what reynst used?

I have started to build a lipfeed on my snorkeler but it is taking a little longer then I expected. Hopefully I will be able to test it late tomarrow, otherwise I will have to wait untill next week.

I also have come up with another possible starting method I believe might work well: Difluoroethane (duster gas) will be injected into the CC through a tiny hole that will be too small to upset proper operation. This will be ignited using a sparkplug on the opposite wall. Just before the spark is turned on, the propane will quickly be turned on to the setting required for the snorkeler to run (this part will require some experimentation and a bit of luck, but it shouldn't be too dificult to figure out) After the first big pop, the snorkeler should begin running normally (maybe I can even throttle it!)

steve

Post by steve » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:52 pm

here is the new lipfeed on my snorkeler. Yes I know it is terribly ugly, but if it works I'll clean it up with the grinder and make it look halfway decent.
Attachments
IMG_0012.jpg
(34.86 KiB) Downloaded 574 times

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:12 pm

I wish someone would come up with a nice, workable Coffee Mate fuel feed!

L Cottrill

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:37 am

jmhdx wrote:Incidentally with the other half in place, would I be right that nobody has yet to build and run what in Reynst's and your opinion is at least theoreticaly an optimum design?
Well, Mike Everman seems to be on the way towards an engine that is very, very close to what Reynst was working on. See the picures near the beginning of this thread.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:41 am

I kind of like the mention of paraffin or wax, of course there would be some preheating needed to start with, but how neat to have a fuel that doesn't evaporate on you if you leave it out or absorb water and any other advantage I can't think of just now. Just pop in the needed amount of "candle power" and you are off and running.
Maybe you could use the expansive power of paraffin for something or another.
http://www.starsys.com/technotes/article.asp?id=9
And should you spill some on your hands, well they will only become soft and moist.
http://www.bodysuite.com/The_Power_of_T ... _Dips2.cfm\
And of course there is this.
http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2 ... x-115.html
http://www.firstscience.com/site/articles/candle.asp
Be sure to scroll down on the last link for exciting fire and flames.
Mark