Propane valving question.

Moderator: Mike Everman

Stuart

Propane valving question.

Post by Stuart » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:16 pm

Hey guys, I finally have something that works (my mystery design, somewhat related to a Gluey). But it is only putting out poop for thrust, which can be due to one of three reasons:
1) Starved for air (solution, bigger pipes or flanges)
2) Starved for fuel (that's my question about propane valving)
3) Starved for brains (maybe the design terminally sucks, that's what I'm trying to figure out)

I am using the valve from a cheap MAPP/OXY welding torch, but I don't get any thrust increase after only about one turn of the valve. Before I drill it out, I am just curious what others are using for propane valving? Qualitatively, does anyone have a feel whether I should be getting significant thrust out of an engine given the valve limitations I already have?

Is there an off the shelf source for a better valve with standard fittings that will let me open the throttle more on the propane bottle? Even if this valve is adequate for the current dimensions (2.5 inch diameter combustion chamber), when I upsize to something bigger I think I'm going to have to have more fuel flow.

I haven't been here for a while, so hi to everyone. Finally have a little time to tinker and I'm making some flame. It takes a while to build up operating experience (and courage). Making fireballs out on your driveway is not always considered socially redeeming.

Stuart in Vegas
I'm writing an automated airplane designer in java, useful later when you guys get ready to bolt a p-jet onto some wings

Stuart

never mind

Post by Stuart » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:18 am

Never Mind! it isn't the fuel flow that is choking my engine, it's the intake dimensions.
I'm writing an automated airplane designer in java, useful later when you guys get ready to bolt a p-jet onto some wings

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:19 am

Hi, Stuart, welcome back. Tough to help with so little detail... good that you figured it out!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Dave
Antipspambot question: 0

Fuel system parts.

Post by Dave » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:41 am

Stuart

One of the simplest fuel system setups I found was as pictured below. It provides the direct connection to a full sized BBQ tank with no regulator, a needle valve, a high volume squeeze valve, 3 sets of nozzles with 3 different pre drilled orifices, the nozzels and orifices can be used with standard 1/8" pipe fittings, bla, bla, bla. I'm sure you get the picture.

Best of all it is relatively cheep. Just go to ebay and search for "weed burner" you will find a variety of vendors.... Just look carefully at shipping costs and for one that comes with 3 nozzles. Best of luck.

Dave
Attachments
7inchpropanetorch.jpg
Fuel system / Weed Burner
7inchpropanetorch.jpg (15 KiB) Viewed 5742 times

Stuart

Weed Burner

Post by Stuart » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:19 pm

The weedburner hardware is great stuff. That's what I like, cheap and simple to prototype.

Another "cheap and simple" is to use a weed sprayer for pressurized liquid fuel flow. I'm about to try that out, after I figure out how not to end up like a toasted marshmallow.

Sorry for the lack of details on my design, it may be patentable since I haven't seen it here on Kenneth's site.