beginers valveless jet engine

Moderator: Mike Everman

SpudGunEnginer

beginers valveless jet engine

Post by SpudGunEnginer » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:00 am

hi, a little bit about myself, I build complex potato guns cabable of rapid fire and shooting up to half a mile. But to fuel my lust for building things i was surfin the net on day and saw this web site. and so i want to build a valuveless pulse jet. Though i am new to this field i have no acces to welding. (so thats a big constrant). Anywase is there a simple way to build a valuveless jet engine?

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:35 am

build it all yourself (what ever jet you want) and pay someone to weld it, or get a friend who can weld it.

Stephen

Mark

Re: beginers valveless jet engine

Post by Mark » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:02 am

SpudGunEnginer wrote:hi, a little bit about myself, I build complex potato guns cabable of rapid fire and shooting up to half a mile. But to fuel my lust for building things i was surfin the net on day and saw this web site. and so i want to build a valuveless pulse jet. Though i am new to this field i have no acces to welding. (so thats a big constrant). Anywase is there a simple way to build a valuveless jet engine?
In some respects, pulsejets and potato guns are similar. For your rapid fire capability, are you using an air compressor or compressed air to run the show?
One thing I never liked about spud guns was their long delay to air out for the next shot. Perhaps there is a spring/valve technique out there to charge the chamber for rapid fire shooting without the need for a tank of compressed air or pneumatic lines. I could appreciate such a mechanism.
There is a kind of valveless pulsejet, (no moving parts) called the escopette, which losely translated means machine gun. Perhaps a spring loaded magazine of uniform potato ammo could be shot out at a crackling speed, imitating machine gun fire.
But then you would be a hop, skip, and jump from something even more frowned upon than a flying potato. There is a kind of nail gun that fires and reloads quickly using propane and air and a little battery run fan to refresh the chamber.
I think you will like pulsejets. They are "simple", interesting, fast action excitement with lots of room for creativity. Guns have just about run their course with ideas, and maybe pulsejets too, but it is fun to dream about finding some new niche.
Mark

Nick
Antipspambot question: 0

Spudgunengineer

Post by Nick » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:55 pm

Hi, first you will need to weld or have access to someone who can but second that may not be such a problem, tell us where abouts you are. someone else on the forum might well be near enough to help.

good luck

Nick

Viv

Re: Spudgunengineer

Post by Viv » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:50 pm

Nick wrote:Hi, first you will need to weld or have access to someone who can but second that may not be such a problem, tell us where abouts you are. someone else on the forum might well be near enough to help.

good luck

Nick
from your profile "Interests:pulsejets, CNC machines, Enduro,"

"Enduro" ! bastard you cant help rubbing it in can you!

Viv:-)
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:32 pm

those nail guns are pretty sweet. there is a store near here, 1/2 builders supply, 1/2 home depot, so they have all sorts of goodies :o) i was thinking about getting some of the little propane canisters so play aboot with....

T.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:46 pm

SpudGunEnginer wrote:Anywase is there a simple way to build a valuveless jet engine?
----------

Nope. Without welding, you won't get very far. But, you can learn, or you can have a muffler shop do the welding for you.

Bruno

HPSCL

Post by HPSCL » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:32 am

SpudGunEnginer wrote:hi, a little bit about myself, I build complex potato guns cabable of rapid fire and shooting up to half a mile. But to fuel my lust for building things i was surfin the net on day and saw this web site. and so i want to build a valuveless pulse jet. Though i am new to this field i have no acces to welding. (so thats a big constrant). Anywase is there a simple way to build a valuveless jet engine?

First, the useless topic and now a post in dead topic. - 2 demerits today.

Seeing as there really is nothing new to discuss after several months away from these forums though...
I've designed and built "complex" PVC cannons for many years and can honestly say (without even a hint of doubt) that there is absolutely NO way to launch a potato a half-a-mile distance. (880 yards)

7 years ago, there was no such thing, as a "complex potato guns cabable of rapid fire and shooting up to half a mile"... AND... There still isn't.

A potato has the aerodynamics of a school bus and even "IF" the potato slug were frozen, it STILL would not reach a half-mile in distance. - Just like my poorly designed valveless pulsejets will not put out more than a few pounds of thrust.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man how to build a pulse jet and you piss his neighbors off for a lifetime.

keith mcconnell

Post by keith mcconnell » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:25 am

I have a air cannon that will shoot a potato 3000 feet. And it will go through a 1/2" thick plywood at 30 yards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugze5AiFb40

HPSCL

Post by HPSCL » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:47 am

keith mcconnell wrote:I have a air cannon that will shoot a potato 3000 feet.
uh...yeeah. :roll: With a 6-7 foot barrel? - Don't think so, buddy.
keith mcconnell wrote:And it will go through a 1/2" thick plywood at 30 yards.
That claim (with your setup) is (at the very least) believable.

nickwilson

Post by nickwilson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:40 am

If you go on the looking for plans look here category i believe there is a pj made from threaded water pipe

Ghrey

Post by Ghrey » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:40 am

Pipewood.
In the process of moving, from the glorified phone booth we had to the house we have.

No real time to work on jets, more space, no time.

Life still complicated.