Looking for plans for 'Hillar Pulse Reactor'

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mrbean
Antipspambot question: 125

Looking for plans for 'Hillar Pulse Reactor'

Post by Mrbean » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:58 pm

First, thanks to Micheal for a great site and to all those who contribute. I've learned a lot from this site.

I've built some simple, quick and dirt pulse jets and want to build a nicer version. Attached is what I would like to build. It would be fun to recreate the experiment that Lockwood and Hillar did. 300lbs of thrust seems a little generous to me. Any idea what they might have been using for fuel and a fuel system to achieve that?

I have searched the web, and have not seen any blueprints for the engine attached. Would anyone here have anything for the 'Pulse Reactor' as they call it? I've found something close in a patent, but it isn't the exact model.
Attachments
valveless1.jpg
This appears to be a 'flattened' version of the pulse reactor. I find the heat coloring interesting as the chamber seems relatively cool.
valveless1.jpg (12.53 KiB) Viewed 6991 times
vpj9.jpg
Patent drawing, but slightly different.
Hiller Pulse Ractor (Lockwood Hillar).jpg
This is what I am looking for prints for.

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Looking for plans for 'Hillar Pulse Reactor'

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:13 am

I've always loved that pic. The suit in the back learning what real noise is; the tech in the front kind of "ho-hum, another day in violently oscillating atmosphere".
There is a guy that used to frequent here that inherited all of Lockwoods material, but he does not want to play any more. I once went at this pic and estimated its dimensions, but I wouldnt trust it. You should do so yourself, adjusting for foreshortening, and I should think the CC is something like 8". The starting point is the hard part.

It looks a lot like titanium, and probably was, considering it was for a military application, and of course, wow, 30 lb dry for all that kit!
The thrust numbers reported or certainly for two motors and including that quad augmenter at the bottom.
The augmenter is probably good for no more than doubling the thrust, so I'd estimate each duct to be doing 60-80 lb. sounds about right for a decent 8 incher.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Kool

Post by Kool » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Wow long time that i logged in on this site :mrgreen:
Somewhere on a harddisk which is not in my house at the moment ive got them!!
Found on the internet! So if I'm not responding on time, good luck finding them!
...It's better to generate heat efficiently, than recover it efficiently...

Kool

Post by Kool » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:44 pm

1-minute search further on google on ''model hh 5.25-7'' search on .pdf files.

Found this:)

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/601715.pdf

Lot of info on this website http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/
...It's better to generate heat efficiently, than recover it efficiently...