how to set up a liquid fuled engine

Moderator: Mike Everman

lovot
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: how to set up a liquid fuled engine

Post by lovot » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:04 pm

Rocket Man wrote:What works best for me is a duel fuel system. Start the engine on propane, then turn on the liquid fuel.
That's the plan, there was another method I could use to pressurize the liquid fuel tank without mixing the liquid fuel to the pressurizing gas that would be safer, but slightly more difficult and expensive. First I need some sort of airtight fuel resistant bladder, then the bladder is placed into a rigid tank that is pressurized, that way regular air can be used to keep the tank pressurized without having to worry about the air and fuel mixing so when I need to refuel I can release the compressed air, refill the bladder, and then re pressurize the fuel tank. That method requires an air pressure regulator, a small air tank, and a fuel bladder, which would increase the cost a little, but the design would be safer. A pressure tank rupture wouldn't spill fuel everywhere, and if whatever ruptured the tank also damaged the bladder, then at least the fuel would just leak out instead of exploding everywhere.

tufty
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: how to set up a liquid fuled engine

Post by tufty » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:04 am

lovot wrote:First I need some sort of airtight fuel resistant bladder, then the bladder is placed into a rigid tank that is pressurized, that way regular air can be used to keep the tank pressurized without having to worry about the air and fuel mixing so when I need to refuel I can release the compressed air, refill the bladder, and then re pressurize the fuel tank. That method requires an air pressure regulator, a small air tank, and a fuel bladder, which would increase the cost a little, but the design would be safer. A pressure tank rupture wouldn't spill fuel everywhere, and if whatever ruptured the tank also damaged the bladder, then at least the fuel would just leak out instead of exploding everywhere.
There's an added bonus, which is that, modulo pressure surges blowing air back up the fuel feed, you won't get bubbles. I'm sure Larry will be along soon with some control-line/ucontrol lore about methanol and condoms.