Questions about CFD analysis and What is Uflow1D?

Moderator: Mike Everman

sid_raptor
Antipspambot question: 125

Questions about CFD analysis and What is Uflow1D?

Post by sid_raptor » Sat May 10, 2014 8:09 pm

So i have been doing a lot of reading about the black magic that actually goes on inside a valveless.
I was thinking, i would like to do a CFD analysis of a valveless engine. The problem is im not very good at doing a CFD

So my questions!

Is solid works any good at running a CFD?

What software do you recommend for a CFD? I don't mind crawling through tutorials and lessons to learn a new software since my current skills are rudimentary at best.

I played around with Openfoam (Windows version) and Khamsin plugged into Sketchup for a while. While this seemed to work for simple blocky models, it could not handle my engine model. Not to mention i cant figure out how to model a flow from inside the engine in Khamsin. Is there an easier way to do this?

I see a lot of talk about something called Uflow1D in the older posts. What is this? I cant seem to find anything about it on the internet!

Thanks!

Sid
The Great and Powerful Wizard of MOZ!

VicHanby
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Questions about CFD analysis and What is Uflow1D?

Post by VicHanby » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:40 am

[quote="sid_raptor"]So i have been doing a lot of reading about the black magic that actually goes on inside a valveless.
I was thinking, i would like to do a CFD analysis of a valveless engine. The problem is im not very good at doing a CFD

About 18 years ago we built a CFD model of a (valved) Schmidt tube using the commercial code CFX but other codes like FLUENT should do the job as well (they're all expensive). OpenFoam should be OK as some engine developers use it. The model predicted our lab measurements quite well but the tricky bit was setting the conditions for triggering combustion.

Good luck!
Vic

Ryan Blake

Post by Ryan Blake » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:25 am

I am fairly new here. I mostly use NUDiS which can be found at viewtopic.php?t=3588. Read the whole post before trying to use it and make sure you download both versions. Some of the last posts are the most informative. It works great for me (with a few bugs now and then), but others find that they can't get it to work. Try it and see is I all the advice I can give. I will say that you will need a powerful computer for the combustions runs - I have crashed computers running NUDiS. Mucking around taught me most of what I know about it. :D

UFlow1D is also good, but NUDiS shows a lot more information and is more suited to pulse-jets. I have attached the UFlow1D file below, and a tutorial is at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=702&hilit=uflow+tutorial. I find UFlow1D also likes to throw up some unreadable rubbish at times, but generally it doesn't worry me too much.

Also, try using a site specific google search like "UFlow1D site:www.pulse-jets.com" - that is how I find most things on this forum.
Attachments
uflow.zip
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 499 times

Ryan Blake

Post by Ryan Blake » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:55 am

Here is another post which goes over what to look for when using UFlow1D and how to tune an engine using this software which I found quite useful :D : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4215