I'm new, no questions right yet, just my thanks.

Moderator: Mike Everman

Heliarc
Antipspambot question: 125

I'm new, no questions right yet, just my thanks.

Post by Heliarc » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:11 pm

First of all I'll apologize as this will be a long post, and introduce myself simply as Heliarc, Or Heli works fine. It's after the welding process. I do all kinds of welding but for some reason I find T.I.G.welding to be the most elegant process and I admire it and those who practice it. I can do it myself to an extent but my forte lies more with stick, M.I.G. and Oxy/fuel welding. Of course I also admire someone who can lay a perfect bead in a vertical or overhead position with a stick welder. Anyhow, I love working with metal. My favorite part of it is when someone brings me a pile of junk and says "I want X" and then they leave me to it. Cutting, machining, and welding until I have a finished product trips my trigger.

I saw the videos of pulse jets and watched them for a few years. I finally thought that I should attempt to build one and I did. Two of them as a matter of fact. The first one was fundamentally wrong(I think) though I'm sure someone better than I could make it run. The dimensions on my second attempt were much more convincing but I still could not get it to run. It was looking at pictures and guesswork pretty much. Finally I poked around and I found this site. I stumbled upon a post that mentioned the "roscojector" and the fact that it can make a stubborn engine come to life. Yet another area, possibly the same post, mentioned about slipping a slightly oversized pipe over the exhaust tube in order to "tune it like a trombone". It turns out that these were critical in helping me to get my engine running and as soon as I can find the authors I intend to thank them profusely.

So, on to my build and the philosophy behind it.

Many people might be intimidated by the forming, and welding of stainless sheet. As for myself, I really wanted to try this out but I wanted it quick and dirty for a first go. So a propane can from a blowtorch became my combustion chamber on both builds. Everything was made from nearly pre-made components requiring minor modification and I'd suggest the same to anyone trying to make an engine for the first time. The rest, I shall leave for the video's to explain.

Here is the engine running for the first time but in a very "rushed" state.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5TCeIYSErw

This video shows some detail of my setup, the startup, and the final run of this engine. In total I believe it has less than twenty minutes on it over 4-5 runs but the chamber shows signs of deterioration due to heat. Best not to push my luck on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GWcFIw9yJs

So that's my build. I plan to build more, bigger, and more powerful engines as the opportunity arrives. I also plan to learn the theory behind these engines so I can begin tweaking my original dimensions to make for easier starts, more thrust, and a cleaner sound. And I am sure this forum can get me on the way. After all, just a cursory scanning here brought me from dead to running. I thank you.

metiz

Re: I'm new, no questions right yet, just my thanks.

Post by metiz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:53 pm

Hi,

Welcome to (what's left of) the pulse-jet forum! Good job on getting your engine to run. Let me guess, you want to build lots more now :P
On a side-note: How the hell did you get almost 3000 views in 4 days? I'm lucky if I get that many in 4 years :)
Quantify the world.

Heliarc

Post by Heliarc » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:03 am

metiz wrote:Hi,

Welcome to (what's left of) the pulse-jet forum! Good job on getting your engine to run. Let me guess, you want to build lots more now :P
On a side-note: How the hell did you get almost 3000 views in 4 days? I'm lucky if I get that many in 4 years :)
Oh yes, lots more. Argus and bigger! Too many neighbors around here!

I'm not exactly sure how I got that many views to be honest. I'm a small channel myself and I was floored at the amount of views, comments, and ratings. Then I do a nice detailed video and noone gives a dang. I think it may be that the Colin Furze guy who has a large channel left a comment. I thought I was on to something great. I love doing it, and people love watching it. But I guess they just want to see the baby not hear the labor. Regardless I'll be filming my next build. I already have a nice piece of stainless pipe to serve as the core of my chamber. Now for some sheet.

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:27 am

Nice work man, Hope mine starts also, puttin in a lot of time and LOTS of effort.
But, as they say, If ya put your mind to something, and use common sense,and read the instructions.
It should work.
Keep going, and keep buzzin along.

Heliarc

Post by Heliarc » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:29 pm

I already have another build in mind. Not as big as the original but I have a chunk of stainless pipe that's going to serve as a wonderful chamber. I just have to find myself some sheet and tubing for intakes. I have stainless wire for the MIG but this time I'll be forming metal. If I stick within the parameters of my template, scaled down of course, I should end up with an ear splitting S.O.B. that will last me for a good long time.

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:14 am

Sounds COOL man,
Im gonna put my work pics in here, if ya dont mind,
Im using 0.5mm 304 stainless, whole motor is 534mm long, about 21".
Using plans from the forum and testing the intake and exhaust airflow on my flowbench, so I can keep
the motors all the same, and have numbers to see how a difference in dia. will effect the output.
I will try a sliding intake on the first one, an adjustable length, than one for the dia.
Only problem I see, is I dont have a propane fitting, without the regulator, its not allowed over here. :x
Guesse Ill have to make 1 for my motor.

The forum is kinda dead now a days, but maybe we can get some spark back in here, there are some left who I think
are still active running these motors, if not, than we are on our own.

Keep it up man, btw. I used to live in Utica N.Y.

Heliarc

Post by Heliarc » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:30 pm

No problem to me if you want to post here. Hell, if you want, put up build progress and methods, the startup and run, as well as sliding those intakes and effects of doing so. I'd like to see it all. As for the regulator, I have two on my setup since I don't have the parts on hand to eliminate the first one, and the second serves as a coupler. I don't think I can over fuel my engine but I can certainly run it. Perhaps you could take your regulator apart and gut it? But if someone found out I bet you'd have trouble. I still have to hold out for some stainless cutoffs since my next engine is going to be pretty small and cutoffs at the metal supplier are about %50 of the normal price. I also need to find my intake and exhaust tubing as well as a sparkplug nut or the drill and tap so I can just make my own. I want the sparkplug on this next engine to be removable since I plan to make it last a while. I might actually fire that second engine up one more time as well. I'd like to get some footage of it running at night and the only time I can think of where I might not get the cops called is on New Years when everyone up here will be firing off guns and fireworks with stereos cranked.

If it's just us, we'll have to bring in some new blood. There are lots of people who could be interested in this but don't know about doing it, or might be intimidated by it. We might even be able to get some kids to blow money on propane instead of bath salts, so that would be a good thing. In my future videos I'm going to link to this site. I don't get a ton of views but maybe word will spread.

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:47 am

Well, just a taste of what Ive been workin on the last few days, not finished, but almost, test run should be in 2 weeks or so.
Frank
Attachments
Cones welded.JPG
Rolled up.JPG
Transfered to metal.JPG
Paper Layout.JPG

metiz

Post by metiz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:45 pm

A lady Anne?

Hard to start but interesting build
Quantify the world.

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:01 am

Yep, a Lady Anne,
Hard starting ? I dont know, cause its my 1st pj I ever built, but looking at all the other plans I have,
I figured it might be hard starting because of the intake size, or the fast opening flared exhaust.
Im making the intake smaller to keep the combustion gasses in the chamber, and not blowing out the intake.
Intake tube will protrude into the cc about 1/2 an inch as to help to give some restriction on the gasses leaving the cc
so they will go out the exhaust instead. ( I hope ) :?
Anyway, most stuff in here requires a lot of testing and tuning anyways, and mine aint any different.
If it dont run, Ill make a trumpet outa it, and go play a different kinda tune lol.
Intake is now at 72% of the smallest part of the exhaust, plans say 79% but most other motors are by 67%.
Ill try that and see what comes out.

metiz

Post by metiz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:32 pm

If you build this engine, do NOT deviate from the plans! regardless of what other plans might say about intake size! seriously, if you build the intakes smaller or even worse, portrude them into the cc, you're gonna have a bad time.

Particularly on a highly tuned engine like this, don't change a thing!
Quantify the world.

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:49 pm

metiz wrote:If you build this engine, do NOT deviate from the plans! regardless of what other plans might say about intake size! seriously, if you build the intakes smaller or even worse, portrude them into the cc, you're gonna have a bad time.

Particularly on a highly tuned engine like this, don't change a thing!
Ok metiz, Ill just do it by the book, was just thinkin out loud again, But I will make it exactly to specs, the inside measurements are all perfect, and the length also.
Ill try to run it like it is.
What makes it so hard to start? CC needs to heat first? or just the design of it. I was lookin at others, in a simpler form, and they start right up.
Nothing worse than pumpin 4lbs of gas in,starts, than the tank is empty.
I will check to get a nice spray of flames from the jet tube, (Raging flames is what im shooting for.) Before I try to run it.

I hope the .019"(.5mm) Stainless wall thickness holds up to the pressure buildup in the CC and don't collapse.
I make 2stroke pipes (expansion chambers) from .5mm, and they hold up very well, (as long as ya dont put to big of a dent in them).
But, as they say, ya wont know, till ya try it.

Thanks for the help man. Hope we can keep this forum alive a little longer.

metiz

Post by metiz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:03 pm

These kinds of engines are hard to start basically because of the fat intakes and short tailpipe. The big intakes allow for lots of fresh air, but they also decrease containment (pressure loss) during starting. The short tailpipe makes it hard for the engine to lock in; there isn't much "resistance" in lack of better words (and understanding :) )

The engine is much easier to start when hot, I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe because the gas will ignite easier.
.5mm should be plenty. Just make sure you compensate your metal cutouts for the thickness of the material. All diameters on the plans are inside
What version of the Lady Anne are you building specifically? I'm not sure if the plans mention injectors but you should be able to start a small engine like this with just a straight, open tube (I suggest 4x6mm) If that doesn't work for some reason, use a Rosscojector.

There are 7 versions of the Lady Anne if I'm not mistaken. There is one that never ran, I realy hope you didn't pick that one :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD39FQJMFeY
Quantify the world.

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:11 pm

Boleyn Rev. 06 is the one. 64mm on both ends, 29mm at the smallest point, 23mm id. intake, 1 intake on the pipe.

Should run ok, dont ya think?

metiz

Post by metiz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:52 pm

It should run, yes. When will you finish it?
Quantify the world.