Flight weight FWE pulsejet build

Moderator: Mike Everman

nalexandrov
Antipspambot question: 125

Flight weight FWE pulsejet build

Post by nalexandrov » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:18 am

Made from .5mm stainless steel. Trying to keep it under 2 pounds, hopefully it will put out around 5 pounds thrust, even more with liquid fueling.

This thickness is very hard to TIG weld, you tend to burn through it. I actually turn the power VERY high, like 100 amps and hold a very sharpened electrode almost touching the metal and hit it with about a half second of power just to do a quick tack. If the pieces don't overlap or there are gaps I lay the filler metal down, hit it with 100 amps to burn a ball off, this lands between the two pieces of metal and I hit that ball for just a second, making a large round weld. Sometimes you can do this for up to an inch if you work fast, but usually you need to stop and move on to a different part to let it cool down.

I flared the intake using a method anyone with a pair of snips and spot welder could do, needs some more sanding but it looks like it will work fine.

I will test this on propane and then onto pressurized isopropyl/h2o, hopefully I can rig up a static test stand and get some accurate thrust readings too. I downloaded a spectrum analyzer app on my iphone so I will be able to identify the running frequency once I fire it up.

Does this look good to you guys?
IMG_0738.jpg
IMG_0739.jpg
IMG_0743.jpg
IMG_0746.jpg
IMG_0748.jpg
IMG_0749.jpg
IMG_0750.jpg
IMG_0751.jpg

gettylee

Re: Flight weight FWE pulsejet build

Post by gettylee » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:32 am

Hi,nice build,I've been going as light as possible for flight engines, I just can't figure out how to get the fwe styles to run on liquid fuels? I've tried several ways! Was very close on methanol&vapor coil,but it ossolates&won't sustain on liquids, its probably something simple? If you find a way? Please let me know how ya do it" lol
Attachments
IMG_20130613_191636_240.jpg

nalexandrov

Re: Flight weight FWE pulsejet build

Post by nalexandrov » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:31 pm

I really like that HPX style in your drawing. Looks like I could convert mine to that style very easily. Do you expect an increase in thrust using hpx type? What are the benefits?
Are there pros/cons between our two engines?

I am looking into a pressurized liquid system, how much pressure did you use?