FWE Problem With Plans?

Moderator: Mike Everman

senthil19
Antipspambot question: 125

FWE Problem With Plans?

Post by senthil19 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:33 am

I recently build a FWE for my Project, But it never starts up. . .

i have a good ignition source, a electric blower for air, and a propane tank for fueling.

Could any one Please Check out my drawings, ,whether it has any mistakes on them. . so tat i would correct them and start my engine.

Thank You in Advance.
Attachments
FWE 2D.pdf
My FWE Drawing
(103.22 KiB) Downloaded 555 times

gettylee

Re: FWE Problem With Plans?

Post by gettylee » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi , I've built a few of the fwe variations,it looks like a good plan to me,its a lady Ann Boleyn,there's a plan on here by Larry cottrill,also, I've had good luck with the fwe engines,it is a Balancing act with the air,you need low pressure20 to 40 psi&start about 8" or 10" away from intake&find the air over a coke bottle sound,I use propane&a hi flow torch set up,like a turbo torch or weed burner set up.
Last edited by gettylee on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gettylee

Post by gettylee » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:05 pm

You than move in steps closer & increase gas Simultaneously,she should start to run when you get about a inch away with your air nozzle, there is a nice air&fuel system on Larry's drawing,that ide like to try, it really is a balancing act! Its all about accustics, try to keep that coke bottle sound

senthil19

Post by senthil19 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. . . i will test the engine again with in one or two days. . . i will keep posted. .
Attachments
Image0266.jpg
Image0265.jpg

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:14 pm

Nice work. Can't tell from the pics, but don't forget your intake flare if you have not formed that yet.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

gettylee

Post by gettylee » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:02 pm

I use a small propane torch set up to have a flame just licking the intake & when you give it air,you can kinda judge the turbulence,you want turbulence,& burbles,pops,etc... the flame helps me because you can see the turbulence,instead of hearing it,because you will have earplugs in,I make the injector out of break line&pinch the end&put it about 1/2" into intake.you do need lots of propane pressure,a bigger tank works better&a small 14oz tank,will have to be submerged in warm water,or it will freez up quickly!

gettylee

Post by gettylee » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Nice work. Can't tell from the pics, but don't forget your intake flare if you have not formed that yet.
You will need the flare,&FYI,that is a very good engine,power per weight,I want to fly a plane with that style engine,mabey radient heat can keep a onboard 14oz tank from freezing so quick,? Sounds kinda scary! But it may work? :)

senthil19

Post by senthil19 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:16 am

I have built an another one, i need to know weather the intake flare is ok with this one. . . also no problems with the gas tank. i have a 14 kilograms tank. . .still facing trouble in start up. . .i'm working on it.
Attachments
IMG_20130413_100905.jpg

gettylee

Post by gettylee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Hi,for me,the little fwe should use less gas & is a bit easyer to start,I put injector(pinched break line) 1/2 to 1" down intake,centerd seems best,with air squirt nozzle in one hand 10" away&other hand on lp valve,20 or 30 lbs psi. Crack the gas&give it the air,try to get burbles,move in closer in steps&increased gas each step closer,I go in 4steps approx.once it starts,you can increased the gas.

gettylee

Post by gettylee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Hi,I've noticed that it would be easy to convert the ladyann,to a hpx,longer is better for starting,it seems,there's pics of my hpx&others, on hpx goes massive, although, that is a nice lady Ann boleyn,it may be finicky?but I bet its a great engine,power per weight,for a Plane:)

gettylee

Post by gettylee » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:16 am

Hi,here is a suggestion,I use the small air nozzle,air squirter,with a aircompressor@20 to 30 psi.I am able to direct the air stream more precisely,at the small intake,I move the airstream to find the sweet spot,kinda like a flute,trying to get burbles&harmonics,than move in closer&increase gas simultaneously,it takes a bit of patients, but ya get more proficient after you figure it out, I want to try Larry's lady Ann boilyn air starting system next build. Hope I'm of help to you.

gettylee

Post by gettylee » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:51 pm

gettylee wrote:Hi,here is a suggestion,I use the small air nozzle,air squirter,with a aircompressor@20 to 30 psi.I am able to direct the air stream more precisely,at the small intake,I move the airstream to find the sweet spot,kinda like a flute,trying to get burbles&harmonics,than move in closer&increase gas simultaneously,it takes a bit of patients, but ya get more proficient after you figure it out, I want to try Larry's lady Ann boilyn air starting system next build. Hope I'm of help to you.
any luck on your Lady Ann Boleyn yet? I'm going to build one,& try to get one to run on methanol, the power per weight ratio may be good for a rc plane,that would be better than sliced bread!!! :) I think that's a good choice engine! Can't wait to here a good progress report! :)