Synchronous Injection

Moderator: Mike Everman

John Hasler
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Synchronous Injection

Post by John Hasler » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:16 am

I see now that Miller's paper has been mentioned in another thread, but the link there did not work for me. Sorry for the duplication, I still think it is interesting work, though.

metiz

Post by metiz » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:01 pm

John Hasler wrote:
How large is medium? I'd like to keep it under 2m or so for ease of transport.
It wouldn't come near 2 metres, more like 850 - 1000mm Thrust would be in the 15-25 pound range. With linear I mean that the intake is welded on the endcap, pointed the opposite direction of the tailpipe (this will affect thrust but that's not the goal of your setup)
Quantify the world.

John Hasler

Post by John Hasler » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:19 am

mwriz writes:
It wouldn't come near 2 metres, more like 850 - 1000mm Thrust would be in the 15-25 pound range.
I've got a copious supply of 35mm pipe plus a long piece of 70mm with a plate already welded on one end. Should go a long way toward approximating Miller's setup [1]. Don't have any 30mm pipe, though. Can I get away with using 35mm for the inlet and compensating by lengthening it? I calculate that 3.44 diameters rather than 2.67 would give me the same Helmholtz frequency. I note that Miller used an adjustable inlet that appears to be of the same diameter as his tailpipe.
With linear I mean that the intake is welded on the endcap, pointed the opposite direction of the tailpipe
That's what I meant by axisymmetric.

[1] According to the paper they used a 75mm diameter combustion chamber and that the overall length was 1250mm, which doesn't jibe with Pyrojoe's rules. Does anyone have detailed dimensions for Miller's motor?