New member and failed FWE IV "smooth lady"

Moderator: Mike Everman

henkie22222
Antipspambot question: 125

New member and failed FWE IV "smooth lady"

Post by henkie22222 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm an 18 year old Dutch student interested in engines. I own a two-stroke 50cc Yamaha fs-1 "fizzy" and a 4-stroke Yamaha xs-360.
So I decided to build a valveless pulsejet for my profile thesis (a big project at the end of high school that has to take 80hours of your time and shows your capabilities.)
I decided to build the "smooth lady" designed by Larry Cottrill, and i built a special rig for it to measure the amount of thrust it created. However it proved to be not necessary due to the high friction of the sliding mechanism and the fact that I never got the engine to run properly YET :lol:
Pic of the engine and rig: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/22 ... 00306.jpg/

short clip of the first test: http://youtu.be/f0GHxmS7mog gets interesting after the 5:00 mark
This test was with the regular pressure regulators we have here, they opperate at a standard 5mBar and ignitded with a normal lighter :roll: I also used a compressor for starting air and a 5mm brass fuel tube.

I noticed this is not the normal way to start these engines so i am trying to rebuild it with a sparkplug int the dome of the chamber so i dont need a lighter anymore. And i bought a propane regulator that can be regulated between 0 and 4 bar. Also i would like to add length to the exhaust tube because it turned out the original plans were slightly off.

I would love to hear what you guys think of the build and get some feedback on getting this engine running.

metiz

Re: New member and failed FWE IV "smooth lady"

Post by metiz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:42 pm

henkie22222 wrote:This test was with the regular pressure regulators we have here

Get rid of any and all regulators, use a direct feed (no the tank won't explode)

Flare your intake and light the gas inside the cc to make things easier.

"float" your injector in the centre of the intake, don't just lay it in there.

Make sure you follow the plans as closely as possible. fix any problems (like the flare) that you can find

How thick is your injector tube? seems a bit fat to me but I could be wrong
Quantify the world.

henkie22222

Post by henkie22222 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:25 pm

And how can i attach it straight to the bottle? Since you also live in Holland maybe you have an adress?

The injector is 5mm thick

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:34 pm

henkie22222 wrote:And how can i attach it straight to the bottle? Since you also live in Holland maybe you have an adress?

The injector is 5mm thick
here is a picture posted by metiz to show a clear view of the fuel line.
Attachments
100_2157.jpg

metiz

Post by metiz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:14 pm

a 5mm internal injector is pushing it. Try something a bit smaller.

You need something like this (make sure it's the right thread and size) https://www.campshop.nl/shop/gas/gasaan ... s/?id=5503
Quantify the world.