Soaring with pulsejets

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Soaring with pulsejets

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun May 30, 2004 8:25 am

Any gliding/soaring enthusiasts out there? Bill? Craig?

I would appreciate seeing this article very much:

Soaring Magazine
Volume I, Number 2, October, 1971
Robert J. Pegg
Application of the Valveless Pulsejet Engine to Powered Sailplanes

Maybe you happen to have this in your attic somewhere?

jmhdx

Post by jmhdx » Sun May 30, 2004 3:23 pm

It's the best civil application for the pulsejet I can think of.
Welland G.C. has a rather noisy tow plane and I think the influential residents would prefer short bursts for launches over the extended loop the plane takes.
All weight of fuel will be consumed on launch/acceleration and if the engine is close to a hollow tube then weight can be discounted.
The motor would be best where the rudder and elevators are and I have a design built around it.
I dream of a research/development grant!
Mike.

hinote

Re: Soaring with pulsejets

Post by hinote » Sun May 30, 2004 3:31 pm

brunoogorelec wrote:Any gliding/soaring enthusiasts out there? Bill? Craig?

Maybe you happen to have this in your attic somewhere?
Sorry, I didn't join the Soaring Society of America until 1976 (and I've been a member continuously since then).

Which pulsejet is discussed in this magazine article?

Billl H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Soaring with pulsejets

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun May 30, 2004 4:00 pm

hinote wrote:Which pulsejet is discussed in this magazine article?
No idea. That's why I'd like to see the article. My guess is that it is the French Emouchet/Escopette combination, but it could be something else, too. Do you know any older members of teh Association who might have the magazine?

Pieter van Boven

Post by Pieter van Boven » Mon May 31, 2004 8:53 am

Bruno,

at the bottem of this site you can find an e-mail adres. Maybe this person can help you.

http://acro.harvard.edu/SOARING/JL/Soar ... sue.html#1

Pieter.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Mon May 31, 2004 9:39 am

Thanks, Pieter!

I have written to the guy. Hope to hear from him soon.

George

Pulse jets and ultra light gliders

Post by George » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:09 pm

Hi !

My interrest about PJ comes when i was searching a propulsion system to launch an UL glider with a simple, light and économic system.

I was professional teacher for paragliding and know what's wrong with PJ and ultra light gliders:

-It's very hot: the system would be placed near the wing with a hang glider and near the pilot with a paraglider...
-the speed of exhaust gases is too hight for a good propulsion/energy ratio: the UL gliders are flying aroud 50 km/h
-too heavy sound for a free flight pilot

I still take a look at the PJ developpements but at this time, i don't see something really interresting for the UL glider propulsion.
I've seen a micro turbine on a UL trike for hanggliding but it's more compact than a PJ and less hot, it was a project, the project fly but stay a project (heavy sound and enormous fuel consumption).

Maybe the PJ propulsion can be used with a "rigid" glider (an UL sail plane) like the photo down.

see you in the sky !
Attachments
Icarus.jpg
Icarus.jpg (9.25 KiB) Viewed 9166 times

jmhdx

Post by jmhdx » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:14 pm

This thread really ought to have this picture in it, I think total thrust was 244lb's, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Are there any stats for this plane? Weight, lift speed, max speed and so on.
I've no intention to fly supersonic, just self launch, but feel a jet-glider is a possibility. I'm currently watching a wide variety of birds just hanging in the thermal behind my house, the red-kites can glide for hours without any energy input, I swear I've never seen one flap its wings.
Mike.
Attachments
escopette_emouchet.jpg
escopette_emouchet.jpg (44.16 KiB) Viewed 9151 times

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Pulse jets and ultra light gliders

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:15 am

George wrote: -It's very hot: the system would be placed near the wing with a hang glider and near the pilot with a paraglider...
True. It's a serious concern. However, a way around it can be found, Isolating ducting would help. Mounting out there on the very tail etc. But, as I said, it is a concern.
George wrote:-the speed of exhaust gases is too hight for a good propulsion/energy ratio: the UL gliders are flying aroud 50 km/h
True again. However, the thing need not be very efficient to be fun! Look at http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/flylight/ ... ame_db.htm for pictures and a video of a foot-launched hang glider powered by a turbojet engine. Its gas exit speed must be higher than that of a pulsejet, especially if the pulsejet is augmented. I have talked to the guy who flew the jet Doodlebug and he says it was a hoot. (He did admit that the best performance was at the very top of the speed range he was brave enough to explore!) I think the rigid wing ULs are the best hope for this.
George wrote:-too heavy sound for a free flight pilot
Jet again, I have to agree with you. However, tow launches are also noisy and they last and last… On a powered hang glider, power is really used very shortly, just to gain altitude. But true; no one has ever called a pulsejet quiet. As an observer said about pulsejets, “They redefine noiseâ€

Pieter van Boven

Post by Pieter van Boven » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:07 pm

jmhdx,

check this out for some more Emouchet information. Also try the other parts of the site. There is more information about it.

http://pj-website.tripod.com/escopette/id9.html

Pieter.