Secrets of Advanced FWE

Moderator: Mike Everman

zono

Secrets of Advanced FWE

Post by zono » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:02 pm

Secrets of Advanced FWE

FWE means "Focused Wave Engine", but I found no hints at suppliers sites what focused waves do in this engine?

But I found much literature about "focused shockwaves" and what they can do. They can cause self-ignition in detonatable gas mixtures like hydrogen/air.
Why?
Because shockwaves can be focused in a parabolic reflector similar to sunlight and cause high intensity in the focus. Of course the quality of the reflector is very important for the intensity in the focus.

Why has a normal FWE-head a stub cone? Because this cone focuses the reflected waves and accelerate fast ignition in the burning chamber. The more accurate this cone is, or even better a parabolic shape, the better a FWE should run. There are also "flat-head" pseudo-FEW's which are running, but I think, never with such a chamber pressure like cone-head FWE's. What experience do you have?

I made some simulations to show these effects with Suns 2D-Pressure-Analyzer (good tool!)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5910

it's an expansion of a round area (light grey) in ambient pressure (grey) , reflected by a ring outside. One can see the concentration of the reflected and focused waves. The simulation shows also, that the reflected pressure (white) exceeds the start pressure (light grey) !!!

start:
00000.png
(8.68 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

focused wave reaches center:
00173.png
whole sequence as movie:
Attachments
teste5.mp4
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 553 times

makulit
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Secrets of Advanced FWE

Post by makulit » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:26 am

Very cool looking program that, showing the pressures. When you mentioned detonating like hydrogen and oxygen when compressed I thought of diesel fuel and air. If you could get the pressure high enough, it should go just like it was in a diesel engine. Dimethyl ether would be even better (higher cetane rating) and would self pressurize, and if it were desireable, could be used to cool the intake (making the incoming air more dense)