Lockwood on petrol won't run

Moderator: Mike Everman

Helix
Antipspambot question: 125

Lockwood on petrol won't run

Post by Helix » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:58 am

Hello!
As an examination project I have constructed a valveless pulse jet engine based on the Lockwood-Hiller design (see attached blueprint), that I rather unsuccessfully have been trying to run on regular 95-octane pump-petrol. Please take a look at the attached video and share your thoughts and ideas concerning the starting-issue.
Video: http://img213.imageshack.us/i/s7p.mp4/
Best Regards
Marcus
(Click to enlarge)

Video: http://img213.imageshack.us/i/s7p.mp4/

keith mcconnell

Re: Lockwood on petrol won't run

Post by keith mcconnell » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:12 pm

what kind of fuel nozzle are you using? Have you tried it with propane? Are there any leaks in your welds?

Keith

Helix

Post by Helix » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:42 am

I'm using a injector based on the "Rossojector"? principle. So far I haven't had the chance to test it with propane but I probably will in a near future. There aren't any visible leaks, but i will test it by filling it up with water. Is there important not to have any leaks what so ever in these engines in order for them to operate properly?

Marcus

keith mcconnell

Post by keith mcconnell » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Not having any leaks is important. On my engine I had a small hole form after it got hot and it just quit running. I think you might need some type of flare or cone on your intake tube. maybe someone else on here can help you with the dimensions. I would definitely try it on propane. I also would not use a lighter. Maybe a sparkler or something you can throw into the combustion chamber. Maybe someone else has some ideas. Keep trying and have fun! Post some more video when you can.

Keith

metiz

Post by metiz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Using pronpane will solve your problems. and like Keith said, try igniting from inside the combustion chamber. If you insist on petrol then you'll need a vapourising nozzle.
Quantify the world.