Pulsejet Build

Moderator: Mike Everman

JustinY
Antipspambot question: 125

Pulsejet Build

Post by JustinY » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:16 am

Hi there, I am new to posting on this site but I have been reading it for some time now. Recently I have been in need of a project to partake in, and figured why not build a valvless PJ. So after spending many hours learning how to tig weld nicely and buying a slip roll, it's time to get going on this thing.

What I need now is a set of plans. Now I know what your all thinking as you read this, I'm just another first time builder who's looking for plans that didnt even bother to read around a bit, but i've been searching and searching and I have not found what I'm looking for. What is it I am looking for you ask? I need a set of plans along the lines of a FWE, Chinese, or Thermopulse design with the smallest section no smaller than 1.5" inside diameter. The reason for this is my slip roll, it has a min. of 2", but I figure I can get as much as possible out of it then hand roll it the rest of the way down to 1.5". I plan on using 20guage 304 stainless.

I have found a few designs from Beck-Technologies that would probably fit the bill. They seem to be on the older part of his site (http://www.beck-technologies.com/engine ... ulsec.html) and after many order requests, I have yet to receive a response from him. I will admit I am fairly irritated by this, so If any of you (including Eric himself) may be able answer why this is, it would be great. It's time to get this show on the road and get it finished. So if any of you have Ideas relating to a set of plans that may fit the bill, it would be great if you could point me in the right direction.

Also on a side note, I plan on building a professional looking ignition system with a Model-T coil (pulsejets powered by ford? Hell YA!!) Searching E-bay has turned up plenty of them, but most of them look like they have been sitting in a salt bath their whole life, so If ya know of a good place to pick one up at, it would be great info.

Thanks in advance, Justin Yochum.

HPSCL

Re: Pulsejet Build

Post by HPSCL » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:00 am

JustinY wrote: What I need now is a set of plans. Now I know what your all thinking as you read this, I'm just another first time builder who's looking for plans that didnt even bother to read around a bit, but i've been searching and searching and I have not found what I'm looking for. What is it I am looking for you ask? I need a set of plans along the lines of a FWE, Chinese, or Thermopulse design with the smallest section no smaller than 1.5" inside diameter. The reason for this is my slip roll, it has a min. of 2", but I figure I can get as much as possible out of it then hand roll it the rest of the way down to 1.5". I plan on using 20guage 304 stainless.
JustinY:
If you're looking for plans with the smallest section being no less than 1.5" in diameter, then you may have a tough time doing so. Seeing as how the intake may be the smallest diameter of any valveless pulsejet design, then one that has an intake of 1.5" in diameter is a fairly large pulsejet, when compared to most of the free plans that are available on the internet.

Most of the valveless pulsejets that I've built used 1.5" and larger intake tubes, as I quickly became bored with the smaller ones. But I build mine only to have the largest and most obnoxiously loud as I can, with no regard to whether or not they will put out any measurable thrust. My designs are limited to 2 things:
1.) The largest tank I have is a BBQ-sized 7 gallon
2.) No slip roll.

I use exhaust pipe, which I purchase from local vendors and 1/8" steel plate for the end of the combustion chamber and the transition to the tailpipe.
JustinY wrote:I have found a few designs from Beck-Technologies that would probably fit the bill. They seem to be on the older part of his site (http://www.beck-technologies.com/engine ... ulsec.html) and after many order requests, I have yet to receive a response from him. I will admit I am fairly irritated by this, so If any of you (including Eric himself) may be able answer why this is, it would be great.
From past experience, Eric Beck has been pretty good about answering inquiries in a short amount of time. But as everyone else does, there are often times where we're all pretty much "inactive", being caught up in daily life or other projects and (of course) hether or not you decide to be patient for a reply is entirely up to you.
JustinY wrote:Also on a side note, I plan on building a professional looking ignition system with a Model-T coil (pulsejets powered by ford? Hell YA!!) Searching E-bay has turned up plenty of them, but most of them look like they have been sitting in a salt bath their whole life, so If ya know of a good place to pick one up at, it would be great info.
Check out Sacramento Vintage Ford, particularly this link: Model T Ignition (Hint: Right-Click and select: "Open Link In New Tab", if you want to avoid hitting the back arrow to navigate back to the forums --- I have NO clue how to write the correct BBcode to do this. - Ha!)

I have about a dozen videos of crappy (but easy-to-build and run) projects on youtube : HERE

I hardly ever log on here, or youtube anymore, but if you have a question or two- I'll check throughout this weekend to see if I can help at all. Good Luck.

JustinY

Post by JustinY » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:41 am

Thanks for the reply.
That link for the Model-T coil looks perfect I figure I'll order one and get that part of the build out of the way.
As far as the engine goes, I am starting to lose sleep over trying to find plans. I understand that finding one this size will be difficult but the restrictions with the slip roll are holding me back. Not only that, but would'nt a larger PJ be easier to build from the standpoint of welding the sections together?
As far as patience goes regarding Beck-Technologies I had sent an E-mail 2 1/2 months ago with a more inbetween. There may be the chance that something happened and he did not receive them. I would not try so hard but he seems to be the only one that has proven designs of this size. If there is any way I can get ahold of him, It would be greatly appreciated. I even sent him a message through the youtube channel.
If there is anyone else with a design close to this, I would be happy to pay what you think it's worth. My culminating project is on the line and I need to make some headway.

Thanks again, Justin

HPSCL

Post by HPSCL » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:39 pm

JustinY wrote:Thanks for the reply.
That link for the Model-T coil looks perfect I figure I'll order one and get that part of the build out of the way.
As far as the engine goes, I am starting to lose sleep over trying to find plans. I understand that finding one this size will be difficult but the restrictions with the slip roll are holding me back. Not only that, but would'nt a larger PJ be easier to build from the standpoint of welding the sections together?
I know (all too well) about "losing sleep" over a project!
If you want to build a valveless pulsejet just for the satisfaction of having one that runs, then a bigger one is definitely much easier to build and weld together. Also, if usable thrust isn't your main concern, then don't worry so much about build one that has cone sections that need to be fabricated on a slip-roll. The plans you originally posted a link to are a proven design, but I really can't imagine what type of vehicle (model plane/boat etc.) you'd be to strap it to, for the sake of propulsion?

As I think that I've already mentioned, it's really difficult to get a reply from any one person on these forums, as most are still active, but may not necessarily be looking every single day for replies. Even I have the tendency to be posting on any one of a number of different type of forums every day and then not even turn my computer on for 2 months!

If you would care to look at my lame youtube channel , you may come across a design that is far much easier to build. All of my pulsejets were constructed using Exhaust Tubing and/or EMT (Electrical Metal Tubing; more commonly referred to a "conduit").

EDIT: The larger pulsejet on the first link to one of my youtube channels show a large pulsejet on the first video. In this other channel, it show the same engine, with a poorly designed augmenter. (Slapped-on more for looks, than anything else) They worked out well though and made the effect of flame shooting out of the intake, so I was pretty happy with it! youtube lame-o channel #2

JustinY

Post by JustinY » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:26 am

Thanks for the reply.
Here's the deal, i'm building this for my senior project in High School. I'm not worried about it producing a bunch of thrust, or mounting it on anything, pretty much if it runs, I'm good to go.
I sent a PM to Eric and he will hopefully receive it. I figure he's probably my best chance for a set of plans. If he is running a profitable buisness, he is (or at least should be) checking his E-mails for order requests. I don't know how I could get the address wrong but there's always the chance something could have happened.
If there is any other way to reach him, I would very much like to know, thank you. Justin Y

JustinY

Post by JustinY » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:07 am

Well, this thread has become stale.
Since I am still waiting for any reply for an engine, I have since decided to move on to a different design. There are plenty of large lockwood designs out there. The reason for not going to one originally was that tricky U-bend. Unsure of how to get one I ruled it out. But after reading the Pyrojoes sticky again, I thought about making a straight lockwood. My question is, will it work? If it does, what would the thrust be like if a 55lb engine plan was used?

This is the set of plans that caught my attention. What do yall think?
Attachments
lockwood__dimensions_100.JPG

HPSCL

Post by HPSCL » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:07 am

JustinY wrote:Well, this thread has become stale.
Since I am still waiting for any reply for an engine, I have since decided to move on to a different design. There are plenty of large lockwood designs out there. The reason for not going to one originally was that tricky U-bend. Unsure of how to get one I ruled it out. But after reading the Pyrojoes sticky again, I thought about making a straight lockwood. My question is, will it work? If it does, what would the thrust be like if a 55lb engine plan was used?

This is the set of plans that caught my attention. What do yall think?
My opinion?
What's truly become stale is your attitude towards this project of yours. - You've waited since Jan. 20th (almost three weeks now), for a reply from one person?
I've replied to this thread twice before this reply and have offered a simpler solution to your project. You went on to state (Feb 1st);
JustinY wrote: Here's the deal, i'm building this for my senior project in High School. I'm not worried about it producing a bunch of thrust, or mounting it on anything, pretty much if it runs, I'm good to go.
... so why - are you now asking about making something that is even more difficult to build, than the first design? - Especially since you're now asking to modify a proven design (by making it straight)... because you can't be bothered with "that tricky U-bend"!

A quick google search will bring up a bunch of businesses that sell "tricky U-bends" and I have even offered many designs (on my lame-o youtube pages) that are so simple to fabricate, they're ridiculous. - But hey... if you none of them floats-your-boat, then so-be-it.

In a nutshell; Don't bag on Eric, whine about the thread being stale and STILL ask for help on your project. Go build a Jam Jar Jet and consider the grade you'll receive, acceptable of the effort you've put into this.

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Is the Muffler Shop Special not a good candidate?
Go with the straight unexpanded tail. Use a three point injector with a non-regulated BBQ tank, and your set.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4515

--Avoid Lockwoods for a first build--
its not that they are a poor design, they tend to be difficult for beginners.

JustinY

Post by JustinY » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:19 am

Pyrojoe, thanks for the reply. The "muffler shop special" was a consideration. But Im not really looking for the easy way out. I am confident enough in my shop skills to build a set of designs exactly per specs. The reason for the idea of building a straight lockwood is to eliminate the hassle finding and ordering a U-bend. The lockwood plans specify the U bend to have exact parameters which would most likely call for custom ordering. Working two part time jobs as well as school and working on our own property leaves me with little time, but more importantly just enough money to try to get this accomplished without the added expense of a custom mandrel bent piece of stainless tubing. In the end, what im really hoping for is a proven set of plans that can be followed exactly with a minimum diameter of 1.5 inches. But at the same time a complicated plan adds fun and a feeling of accomplishment. I don't plan on building one of these for the sole sake of my project, I've always wanted to build one and this is the excuse I have to spend the money and time. I want this project to end up big and beautiful and remember for a long time. I have yet to "bag" on anyone, and still hope Eric can get back to me. I can't help but think someone here must be in close relation to him, or have a number to get ahold of him on. I know his site says their web host is changing.
HPSCL, not sure what that was about, I've found you to be great help so far and I hope you will continue to add advice.

Thank you, Justin Yochum

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Might consider the M25 by metiz:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5877

No bends in that one, and a proven design :wink:

It is not adviseable to hard fold a Lockwood as they are some what based on the Marconnet, with a larger volume of the CC nearest the tail. I have tried to hard fold two Marconnets and found the results lacking. So it would probably need to be a linear Lockwood until the bends could be acquired. HPSCL does have a nack for the Lockwoods, his has good range and starts relatively easy compared to others I have seen.

HPSCL

Post by HPSCL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:57 am

PyroJoe wrote:Might consider the M25 by metiz:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5877

No bends in that one, and a proven design :wink:

It is not adviseable to hard fold a Lockwood as they are some what based on the Marconnet, with a larger volume of the CC nearest the tail. I have tried to hard fold two Marconnets and found the results lacking. So it would probably need to be a linear Lockwood until the bends could be acquired. HPSCL does have a nack for the Lockwoods, his has good range and starts relatively easy compared to others I have seen.
PyroJoe:
While I appreciate the comment, I have never built a "Lockwood-style" pulsejet. - I'm not even sure which category most of my builds would fall under? Perhaps you have me mistaken with someone else?

JustinY

Post by JustinY » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:44 am

Hey man! I had completely forgot about that engine! I had looked into it before but the intakes were too small. After trying to order the largest slip roll from Harbor Freight for over a month now, the dumb-@$$ manager finally screwed up the order for the last time and addmitted yesterday they quit making that one. Now we got the 40" on on the way with a 1.5" minimum roll dia. That engine is now on the top of my list. I'm gonna order the stainless tomorrow. It's obvious that it has been buit (very nice looking I must say), and I assume it ran with no mods to the plans. Do you know if anyone else has built one? The dual intakes looks like its a little tricky, but its definately possible. I would like to open the .rar file, i've noticed many people on here use this file type, but I dont know how. My computer apperently doesnt have the right programing. If you know where to get the program (hopefully free) it would be great.
Any other plans you may know of would still be greatly apprectiated.
Thank you very much, I'm stoked (just may sleep well for the first time in a while).
Justin Yochum

metiz

Post by metiz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:41 pm

Hey Justiny

The plans can be followed normally without changes. It does asume 1mm steel thickness so be carefull.
You don't realy need a sliproll for those (intake) cones. put a broomstick in a vice and hammer the piece over it until it is round enough to weld. Do so. Now you might notice the piece being oval or not evenly rounded. Fear not, use a square piece of steel or wood to hammer out all uneven bends and corners. I do this with all my engines, with great succes.

Good luck building it!

You can download winrar (for the .rar files) here. It's trialware but after the trial is over the only thing you get is a nag screen everytime you start the program. hit cancel and off you go :)
Quantify the world.

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:20 pm

My apologies HPCSL,
I was thinking of Keith McConnells Lockwood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJy7kV6XKDw
IMO yours are in the style of Bohanon, Bruno called these "back enders". I like these types, but I like many designs.

JustinY
The intakes for the M25 show :
38.834mm
divide by 25.4 to get 1.4895"
Maybe metiz will let you know if the .0105"[.2667mm] difference is a issue.

metiz

Post by metiz » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:10 pm

I don't think that will be an issue; the intakes are actually SLIGTLY under aspirated. HOWEVER! I have not tested such deviations, and I do not know how the engine will react to both intakes being bigger. I suggest you just stick to the plans and hammer all the necessary intake tubes around your favourite broomstick. I will guarantee you that the results will be more than adequate
Quantify the world.