Pulsejet for a boat?

Moderator: Mike Everman

terra
Antipspambot question: 125

Pulsejet for a boat?

Post by terra » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:48 am

Hey everyone,

This is my first venture into the world of turbines. Although I'm new to this, I come from an extensive CAD and engineering background. Really isn't any part or material that I can't have CNC'd within a couple of days. BUT, I would like some help on the technical points.

I have a 25' power catamaran. Power was originally going to come from a 7.3 Powerstroke, but I ran across several websites of boats actually using gas turbines for propulsion. I'm pretty sure they were using the actual propulsion to push the boat, and not using a shaft running to the prop but I could by mistaken. Based on my research, I have several questions.
1. What is fuel consumption like? With the diesel, I was expecting around 1 MPG at 30mph. Would I see an improvement or not?
2. What kind of thrust would I need? I was thinking 2 or 3 100-200lb turbines. I'm not trying to break the speed record, just cruise.
3. Does anyone have recommendations on where to find plans or reading to design such a motor? Or maybe one already exists and I could use those plans?

Making parts and assembling isn't the challenge for me but designing such a turbine is slightly beyond my abilities right now. I'd be happy to learn, but Google isn't doing wonders for me at the moment.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,
Alex.