How are spark and fuel delivered?

Moderator: Mike Everman

brandonppr
Antipspambot question: 125

How are spark and fuel delivered?

Post by brandonppr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:44 am

Can I use a grill igniter? Do I need an automotive coil? If so How do I wire it up?

Also if I use propane, how do I connect it from the tank to the jet?

I've tried to figure these things out, but I can't seem to find the info or I just don't understand what is needed.
I have built the maggie muggs ramjet and I have the spark plug in, but I need to get the ignition and fuel in.

Thanks

keith mcconnell

Re: How are spark and fuel delivered?

Post by keith mcconnell » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:41 am

For propane fuel I just use a ball valve and a steel braided hose from the ball valve to the engine. Make sure you don't have a regulator on the propane tank. For ignition you can use a model t buzz coil or build a circuit to drive the coil. Bruce Simpson has some info on his web site. I'll try to take some pictures of my set up maybe saturday. What are you using for a fuel nozzle and what size is it? The model t buzz coils can be found on the web and I think there might be a link somewhere on this site. I think you can buy one for around $80-$90 dollars. They seem to work good. Hope this help.

Keith McConnell

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Yes, grill ignitors and clothes dryer ignitors work great, with the spark plug gap opened way up. RV stores and home depot have hoses that go on the tank, but some have resrictors. Best to get the propane burner wand kit from harbor freight. It's got no restrictor, a nice long hose, and a very fine valve.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

55dcyinely

Post by 55dcyinely » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:28 pm

For information I posted a video on you tube to show what I use for a propane vapor delivery.
It will give you some idea what to do. Then like everyone else do what works best for you!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUGRGNkSPvQ
And you can buy a grill igniter on eBay for under $20.00 dollars.
Just go to: pulse jet engines, in the eBay search engine.

Oh' and here a link for Bruce Simpson's automotive coil driver that Keith Mcconnell was taking about.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5872