Posting of attachments

Moderator: Mike Everman

HPSCL
Antipspambot question: 125

Posting of attachments

Post by HPSCL » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Why is it, that a lot of the video file attachments in these forums are in an odd format? For example; - (.avi) (.mov)

metiz

Re: Posting of attachments

Post by metiz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:41 pm

This is an off-topic post.

Forum software only supports those older formats. Either that or it's size related (2mb) And does is realy matter enough to open a topic?
Quantify the world.

HPSCL

Post by HPSCL » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:30 pm

metiz wrote:This is an off-topic post.
I did realize that this should have been posted in either; Frequently Asked Questions, or How to improve this site.
But since I was already in the Valveless Pulsejet forum, which includes a lot of meaningless off-topic entries at any given time, was it REALLY that big of a deal???
metiz wrote: Forum software only supports those older formats. Either that or it's size related (2mb) And does is realy matter enough to open a topic?
Thanks for the answer, even if it's just an educated guess.

It really did matter enough to me, as I have always tried to include simple .jpeg or .gif files, along with videos posted on youtube, which are easily viewable to the majority of people browsing these forums. Having to open/view a file that requires an additional video file player to be downloaded is typically a pain-in-the-combustion chamber.

A lot of people posting here seems to have this overwhelming desire to embed tiny videos/pictures in their posts that... when you really think about it, are a "size-related" waste of space on the viewable page, to begin with.

I had been a member of these forums just long enough to realize that getting any kind of practical information on getting a particular design to actually run, is as difficult as popping a zit in the middle of your shoulder blades. What good is having a "forum" to SHARE ideas, if you have to figure out most things by yourself? And what good is browsing a forum for entertainment, if more than half of the included information is in a context, that can only be viewed if you have every single software and file extension known to man?

So sorry --- For the "off-topic post" and that it was such a "REALLY big deal", for you to reply. I'll crawl back into my hole now. :roll:

... :lol: :wink:

metiz

Post by metiz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:10 am

HPSCL wrote: I had been a member of these forums just long enough to realize that getting any kind of practical information on getting a particular design to actually run, is as difficult as popping a zit in the middle of your shoulder blades.
Pratice makes perfect, Just like engines. Most of the info is here, you just need to look for it. And, as most info is here, people get tired of answering the same questions. It gets easier when you get some practice yourself by using one of the many free plans. Don't just ask quesions straight out but try to work them into a discussion; what are you doing, why do you want to know, maye X can improve Y etc.

Pyrojoe made a very nice "rule of thumb" topic on how to calculate engines sizes. More then enough to get you on the right way to design and build some good engines and get some xp.
Quantify the world.

HPSCL

Post by HPSCL » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:14 am

metiz wrote: Pratice makes perfect, Just like engines. Most of the info is here, you just need to look for it. And, as most info is here, people get tired of answering the same questions. It gets easier when you get some practice yourself by using one of the many free plans. Don't just ask quesions straight out but try to work them into a discussion; what are you doing, why do you want to know, maye X can improve Y etc.
Practice DID make perfect, but only after a kind-hearted member shared with me, some useful chamber-to-tailpipe ratios. Through a lot of experimentation and analyzing what a particular engine was doing, I figured out how to increase or decrease my fuel inlet diameter and shape. This in (in my opinion) the most difficult part of getting any engine to successfully operate.

I realize that you are one of the more experienced forum members and know that you have made many different pulsejets. But please don't assume that I'm still clueless to the subject of designing and building pulse jets. I just happen to choose NOT to carbon-copy most plans posted here.

More importantly though, the "more experienced" members do little to nothing as to sharing their hard-fought-for information on how to troubleshoot as to WHY an engine will not sustain itself. Trial-and-error is the only way to go for a new design and I've seen even the MOST experienced members fumble for weeks on this forum, trying to get a new pulse jet to work correctly. - At the risk of sounding overly-arrogant, it takes me a few hours for most builds.
metiz wrote: Pyrojoe made a very nice "rule of thumb" topic on how to calculate engines sizes. More then enough to get you on the right way to design and build some good engines and get some xp.
Thanks, for the vague "heads-up", but it's not needed in this instance. And with no link provided in your closing statement, how do you expect another "newbie" forum member to read this and find what he/she needs? PyroJoe mentions NOTHING about injector construction, other than a suggestion to look in another topic, which has most of the hyperlinks so outdated, that you continually receive the error message:

Not Found

The requested URL /phpbb2/viewtopic.php was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS) Server at http://www.pulse-jets.com Port 80

This is one of the most difficult forums I've ever navigated and I've spent the last 10 years researching and posting information in many different forums. Finding anything even remotely useful is like walking around the beach with a metal detector or even more so like playing Zelda on your kids old game console.

I don't expect to be spoon-fed. I don't expect someone to answer a question for the 400th time. I do however, expect someone to think of a better way of posting info, that doesn't include outdated hyperlinks, ancient Codec or a stroll through 300 / 14 page-long topics, on a treasure hunt for the Holy Grail of Eternal error codes.

Flame away... I just asked a simple question. My bad for not anticipating an altercation with the a forum Xenophobe

metiz

Post by metiz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:31 am

If you meant me when you said Xenophobe then you have lost yet another potential help on the forum. Also, as for pyrojoe's topic, it's a bloody sticky at the top of the valveless forum. Something any newby would find if he looked for litterally 5 seconds. Good to hear you have some experience in building engines. Care to share, post your plans?

Injector info is abundant throughout the forum, and, now you have experience you should have figured out by now what the right position is for what type of injector in what kind of engine. (Care to share THAT info for other people?) As for the dead links, replace "phpbb2 "for "phpbb3" and you should be golden in 90% of the cases.

That's it for me. This is turning into a flame/troll topic.
Quantify the world.

HPSCL

Post by HPSCL » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:11 pm

Yes,(sadly) I did mean you.
But I've lost no help at all, but rather have lost another member who cannot seem to understand that his suggestion to look in a certain STICKY, only leads to another STICKY, which has multiple outdated links....

Another member who cannot seem to understand that it would take a moderator a very short time to fix broken links (by replacing phpbb2 for phpbb3) instead of having some "newb" have to ask "why" the link is broken in the first place. I asked about that WHEN I was a newb... and the links are STILL wrong. But I guess the point I tried to make about outdated links and the difficulty in navigating was lost, simply because I bruised you ego?

I have shared my plans; Detailed 3D drawings and even youtube videos that included dimensions...But no, I haven't written a book about injector placement / size / shape and troubleshooting - so no Ph.D for me.

Flaming ? Because I referred to you as a Xenophobe? And I'm a troll because I disagreed with you about a few things?
If this were a slightly more productive / active forum, I would be concerned, too.

Please just admit that you really don't care what I think... The only reason you bother to reply, was so that I didn't have the last word and/or somehow made you look like you were wrong.

metiz

Post by metiz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Why the hell do I even reply to this:
HPSCL wrote: Please just admit that you really don't care what I think...
I realy don't care what you think.
HPSCL wrote:The only reason you bother to reply, was so that I didn't have the last word and/or somehow made you look like you were wrong.
I'm not an expert in discussions but does a discussion not mean that you have at least ONE counter argument before you claim last word? Or did you just post your original question hoping that nobody would reply so you'd have last word by default.

Anyway, lets just drop it. You have your original answer, you eventually found help for your engine designs and you apparently posted said plans so that's that. If you feel strongly about having last word, please feel free to post something after this. I won't reply again. (no, realy)
Quantify the world.

HPSCL

Post by HPSCL » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:29 pm

Oh, but you ARE an expert in discussions relating to pulse-jet.com forum navigation, because you've someone managed to complete the first 16 levels of hyperlink navigation and have found the three gold stickies... and Yes, I was hoping no one would reply, as my question was more rhetorical and couldn't really be answered by anyone other than the people who actually post such files... These people being the ones who rarely post, anyway.

Part of the fun of being in a forum, IS the occasional petty argument. Part of the aggravation is being told that you have to search for your answer, instead of someone just telling you outright.

I don't want the last word... I just want you (or SOMEone) to prove me wrong on all points.

55dcyinely

Post by 55dcyinely » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:08 pm

HPSCL wrote:Oh, but you ARE an expert in discussions relating to pulse-jet.com forum navigation, because you've someone managed to complete the first 16 levels of hyperlink navigation and have found the three gold stickies... and Yes, I was hoping no one would reply, as my question was more rhetorical and couldn't really be answered by anyone other than the people who actually post such files... These people being the ones who rarely post, anyway.

Part of the fun of being in a forum, IS the occasional petty argument. Part of the aggravation is being told that you have to search for your answer, instead of someone just telling you outright.

I don't want the last word... I just want you (or SOMEone) to prove me wrong on all points.
Why? is the first question. To spend that much time proving you wrong on all points is just a burden!
To begin with "metiz" simply said this is an off topic! I'm a new bee, and if I take ten minutes to look first! It's usually right there.
I've learned if I don't really have anything to contribute or "work my question into a discussion" it is an empty post. :lol: