Antipspambot question: 125

Re: big lockwood style plans see if you think it will work

Post by ganuganu » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:22 am

how much thrust does it actually produce sir,looks very aggressive.. :D :D

keith mcconnell

Post by keith mcconnell » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:24 pm

I haven't tested thrust yet. Maybe next week. I still have to work out all the bugs in the fuel system first. But judging by how fast the test stand came back toward me when turned on the gasoline I think it's going to make good thrust! 8)

Keith

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:29 pm

keith mcconnell wrote:I haven't tested thrust yet. Maybe next week. I still have to work out all the bugs in the fuel system first. But judging by how fast the test stand came back toward me when turned on the gasoline I think it's going to make good thrust! 8)

Keith
really that video was a great one when the stand moved so fast..i think it would give a thrust of 80 to 90lbs..

keith mcconnell

Post by keith mcconnell » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:24 am

Tested the gasoline system today with the same results. I think I'm going to weld up the holes in the fuel nozzle and drill smaller ones and fewer of them. My thinking is if I can run the fuel at higher pressure and keep it in the nozzle longer it will vaporize better. If that does not work I'm thinking of coiling the tubing around the combustion chamber to preheat it. Anyone have any thoughts on if this will work or a better way to do.it.

Thanks again,

Keith

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Do you want the injected gasoline to be a vapor when injected, or do you want to inject liquid droplettes that vaporizes as it mixes with the intake air?

keith mcconnell

Post by keith mcconnell » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:34 pm

PyroJoe wrote:Do you want the injected gasoline to be a vapor when injected, or do you want to inject liquid droplettes that vaporizes as it mixes with the intake air?
I was going for injected liquid droplettes that would vaporizes but I would do what ever works. I took out the fuel nozzle yesterday and it has 16 holes that are .052" and I think that is just too much. I was going to try about 4 holes .02". I was thinking that it would allow it build up a higher pressure that would produce a finer spray of fuel. Then coiling the fuel line around the combustion chamber would preheat the fuel so it would vaporizes better.

Thanks for the help,

Keith

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:31 pm

For the injecting fuel as liquid:
The 4 holes at .02" sounds like a good plan, is it easy to add more holes if you need them? Is your pump capable of over 20 psi?

My opinion it would be better to control the temperature of the tank, as the engine will have varied heat as it continues to run.

Keep in mind cold intake air will try to prevent the droplets from turning to vapor, so the fuel needs to be warm enough to carry over to vapor.

The white cloud from the intake probably represents a droplet cloud, on ignition the cloud burns very slowly, compared to what a well mixed vapor volume would burn.

I have observed some gasoline vapor volumes (invisible devils) burn very fast in the open. Even more so when confined.

For injecting as a vapor:
I know of engines this works well on, but they have intake and exhaust diameters that are close in cross sectional area.

They basically work by wrapping the fuel line several times around the exhaust then feeding into a Collins Collar.

Someone may correct me but from what I have seen the collar needs to have a low volume, as to be almost anti-Helmholtz. Thin volume with considerable boundry layer to avoid resonance of the collar.
GRIM also posted in the past a thermo jet style with diesel if my memory serves correct.

Here is a gasoline one by GRIM:
Attachments
draftolene.MP4
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 444 times
Last edited by PyroJoe on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:37 pm

picture:
Attachments
gasoline.JPG

metiz

Post by metiz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:57 pm

I am working on a dual intake M40 modified for this fueling system right now. A single intake M25 didn't work, probably due to poor construction of the plenum.

For your big lockwood I suggest you just use a vapourising coil and the injectors you are proposing. That will alsmost certainly work, opposed to this still very experimental method.
Quantify the world.

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:36 pm

i just saw this type of preheat coil placed in lockwood hiller type,but i forgot to save the video link :( ..i think this helps you out sir..
Attachments
pre.jpg

keith mcconnell

Post by keith mcconnell » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks for the info. I've got a vapor coil on now. It 1/2" tubing coiled around the combustion chamber. Still no luck on getting to run on gasoline. I'm trying different nozzle configurations. I rigged up a cable and pulley to a scale today to try to measure thrust but I was only able to pull about 20 or 30 lbs of thrust. I tried inverting to propane tank. That's when I got the best thrust. With it inverted I was only able to open up the valve on the propane tank a little less than half way before the engine would flame out. I guess I'll just keep trying different thing until it works.

Keith

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:56 pm

after inverting the propane tank whats the thrust you got sir..

keith mcconnell

Post by keith mcconnell » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:01 pm

ganuganu wrote:after inverting the propane tank whats the thrust you got sir..
that's when I got the 20 to 30# of thrust. Maybe my nozzle are in the wrong place or my intake is too small I don't know.

Keith

ganuganu

Post by ganuganu » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:27 pm

did you find a way for your problem sir..or still making some research..

keith mcconnell

Post by keith mcconnell » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:49 pm

Not yet. I've been busy with work. Hoping maybe next week I can work on it some. I was kind of hoping to that some one here would have some idea of what might be wrong. I'll post more video when I start testing again.

Keith