PyroJoes Recipe for Beginners

Moderator: Mike Everman

InventorZeke
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: PyroJoes Recipe for Beginners

Post by InventorZeke » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:56 am

I'm from the US; Boston, Massachusetts whereabouts to be specific.

I can't help but notice you're from the parts where one of my favorite, and arguably some of the best cars of all time are made :D

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:06 pm

Well, If its a Porsche, than you know where I live lol.
BMW is down south from me.

Hey, a question from me, Do you know the volume of a cone, with 45mmTop X 87mmBottom X 57mm long 1.5mm thickness?

Thanks
Frank

InventorZeke

Post by InventorZeke » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:37 am

Yes your location shows up as Stuttgart :wink:

I cannot help you there my friend; I still do not remember the formula for cone volume alone; let alone a cone with a sliced top.

tufty
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by tufty » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:18 pm

metiz

Post by metiz » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:22 pm

RC man: V = π × h × (R²+r²+R×r) ⁄ 3
http://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/volu ... cated-cone
Quantify the world.

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:04 pm

That cone section appears to have about 235,433 cubic mm. For a 2"dia. intake I included a drawing for the internal dimensions. Caliber appears to be 2.27". My apologies I didn't check in sooner. Good to see you fellas working it out.
Attachments
2intake.jpg

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:39 pm

WOW, Pirojoes back in here,
Man, do we need help, lol

I built a lockwood to your specs in the first post. (kind of)
Ex. pipe 38.7mm dia.ID. 770mm long.
Messed up the CC measurements a bit, instead of 77.5mm id., I made it 73mm.
Length is 148mm long, but needed 154mm. (I will lengthen it 30mm to get the volume back up)
Intake dia is 33mm id. 100mm long, but I put 20mm into the CC to try to stop the blowback out of the intake.
And, last but not least, It will rumble, without air, add air, and it starts to growl.

Am I that far off with the CC, or is the protrusion in the CC from the intake tube causing the main probs. ?
I used a 2mm jet open, crimped off, 6mm jet open, smashed to a flat, and the Rosscojector from brass tubing.
All work, but some work better. All with air, and no air. It grumbles with all of them. With air, the 2mm oval tube worked the best, it sounded like it was running.
I have 6mm tubing all the way to the injectors, everything is open, with no regulator on the bottle, NEW Bottle.

I attached a pic of the motor for you to see.

Thanks for any help man,

Frank
Attachments
IMG_1351.JPG

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:35 am

I think that internal ball shaped cone may be giving some problems. Any idea how long it was? A well shaped cone can make a significant difference.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5901

I see good results with the 20 degree cones. :wink:

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:44 am

Thanks Joe,
Ill make a cone asap, I just want to get a PJ running on its own, than dive into a more complicated fwe Im workin on.

Again
Thanks

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Hey PiroJoe,

I added the 20 deg. cone on the CC, (no change to the length, just cut off the flat plate and added the cone.)
Stuffed the exh. pipe in the cone, welded everything all up, mounted it up, Tested injectors, and depth of the injectors.

Turned on the gas, added a puff of air, and had 120db of SOUND!!!
I think its running, but I dont know how loud it should be anyway. But I think 120db is running. (I have DB meter, and it went from 85 to 120 after the puff of air)
LOUD, noooo way, I raced TF Harleys, and ran them in my garage also, measured 185db (bleeding ears time there) but those days are gone for me now.
PJ Motors are sound Machines, TF Harleys have a different sound, Blap, Blap, Blap. at 30hz 180db is not as bad as 200hz at 140db in my eyes (or ears).
I listened to a Jap Bike at 11000rpms, Beeeeeeeeeeeee. That hurt my ears, but was only 95db, I think the tone of the sound makes a big difference.

But, you have helped me, and many others here, to get our PJs running, Therefore, I am inducting you to the PJ Hall of Fame.

Many, Many Thanks to You, PiroJoe

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Hear ya go PyroJoe,
I made a short vid of my Lockwood running.
Comments are welcome, good or bad, (and dont comment on my facial hair, lol)

Thanks for the help

http://youtu.be/YEU9_sZdybE

metiz

Post by metiz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:26 pm

Nice job on getting it running! now put some more fuel in it because it's only barely idling. If you thought this was loud, just wait...
Quantify the world.

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:51 pm

metiz wrote:Nice job on getting it running! now put some more fuel in it because it's only barely idling. If you thought this was loud, just wait...
Well, using the rosscojector seems to limit the gas a bit, if I open the gas valve anymore, it just stops running, no flameout. Like in the vid. Kind just blows the flame off the tip of the injector, and off it is.
Maybe I have to wait till the CC is warm enough, I dont know, but if ya say it needs more fuel, than Ill put my 2mm injector in it, and give it a try again.
With the rosscojector, I had it in the intake at the end of the radius of the velocity stack. (Flared intake) Open the valve more, and it just stops running.
I will try deeper in the intake with the 2mm injector, and see what it does, or maybe light it up at the exhaust pipe, but the intake starting seems to work better.

Thanks Man

metiz

Post by metiz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:58 pm

Try putting the Rosscojector much deeper. If that doesn't work, try a straight tube and if that fails as well, go for a GRIMjector, those things are awesome. Also: you're not using a restrictor on your gasbottle right?
Quantify the world.

RC Man

Post by RC Man » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:58 am

No regulator on the bottle, I will try the injectors and give them a good testing, as I can slide my injectors in the bracket straight into the CC.
Maybe Im just trying to hard, it cant be so complicated, or my motor needs to be red hot before it will catch, dont wanna run my neighbor out of the house.
I have to wait till she takes off to work, or to a friends house.
Thanks man again.
TESTING Time again.