Lockwood starting problems

Moderator: Mike Everman

Legolomaniak
Antipspambot question: 125

Lockwood starting problems

Post by Legolomaniak » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:57 am

Hi there,

I have built a pulsejet and now after a few tries of testing it, it does not seem to work too well, or at all for that matter.

Image (click for a bigger picture)

Heres the story:
First, I tried to start it up with a piezoelectric igniter, and that didnt appear to work to well, so i put a spark plug into and went to run it off a chainsaw. the spark wasnt very strong so i ran it off a car (off the ignition coil).
No matter how much gas or air i put in, it never seems to fire up. A few times though, it would make a "whoomp" sound and appear to start up, but it just never got past that.
What it would do though, is it would burn in the combustion chamber and then the flame would move out the intake tube and burn out there for a bit, and then recede back into the combustion chamber, all in about 12 seconds. Whilst this was going on, smoke was just coming out the exhaust tube.
So it would do what a normal pulsejet would do, just a lot slower.

I now believe that since the ignition has been fixed, it could be something to do with the amount of fuel going into the engine. From the videos i have seen (i.e. Beck-Technologies), they seem to just have a tap on their gas bottle, where as I have a regulator, and a gas flow valve (just like on a BBQ). Could this be the problem? not enough gas flow? or not enough gas all together?

Thanks in advance :)

metiz

Re: Lockwood starting problems

Post by metiz » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:42 am

Legolomaniak wrote: where as I have a regulator, and a gas flow valve (just like on a BBQ).
SINNER! :lol:

Yes thats your problem. get a direct feed. if your engine is based on plans it should run fine.
Quantify the world.

Legolomaniak

Re: Lockwood starting problems

Post by Legolomaniak » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:29 am

Thanks metiz!
I will get my hands on a tap and shall fire it up soon! :D