Would this work? Project: BenJet XL 0.1

Moderator: Mike Everman

Johansson
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Would this work? Project: BenJet XL 0.1

Post by Johansson » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:32 pm

Viv wrote:Hi Ben

Ok skipping over the part were a flame holder is not needed then, looking forward to the video ;-)

Viv
:mrgreen:

karel
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by karel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Viv,
2/ liquid propane does not stick to the walls of the cc and burn (what!)
propane beeing pressurized into the CC hits the hot wall inside the CC, part of the propane burns righaway in gas form, and a small part actually burns in the wall, thus keeping a flame. ofcourse I didn't mean "sticks" as in a "sticky molten marshmallow", this phenomena explains why the gluhaffen pressure jet, for instance, has no flame holder, and is also part of the reason why the intake/injection system is across the CC rather than lenghtwise.

Viv

Post by Viv » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:00 am

karel wrote:Viv,
2/ liquid propane does not stick to the walls of the cc and burn (what!)
propane beeing pressurized into the CC hits the hot wall inside the CC, part of the propane burns righaway in gas form, and a small part actually burns in the wall, thus keeping a flame. ofcourse I didn't mean "sticks" as in a "sticky molten marshmallow", this phenomena explains why the gluhaffen pressure jet, for instance, has no flame holder, and is also part of the reason why the intake/injection system is across the CC rather than lenghtwise.
Ok thanks for the correction about pressure jets ;-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

BenJet

Post by BenJet » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:08 am

BTW,

Viv, congrats on your post number 2000.

Cheers
Everman, give us forum avatars!

Viv

Post by Viv » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:21 am

Jutte wrote:Hi Viv,
I have seen that hot wire igniter on that patent before - and it intrigued me - so just
a few questions.
Does that pressure type intake 'stack' need that because of the pressures can
overcome the returning tail pipe hot gases and 'blow' them out?
And - is it really applicable to 'normal' pulse jets or just to the 'pressure jet'
class of pulse jets? ( - what is that wire - stainless steel?)
Thanks - hope the winter is not too savage where you are - we are
having a pretty good summer here - Cheers.
Hi jutte

No it does not need it because of the ejector style intake system but because of its straight through aspect of intake to exhaust for air flow with a forward facing intake, its supposed to work at some air speed in flight but I have always doubted that, it does not act as a flame holder as claimed, it simply does not generate enough turbulence to function in that way, the turbulence is provided by the recirculation zone formed by inserting the intake tube in to the combustion chamber, if you look the wire is placed in that zone and not in the air flow path.

Most pulse jets don't need it or would benefit from it but a rough running or unstable jet that kept stopping would run better with it as was proved in the test I did

No idea if he specified stainless steel but when I did the test for it to confirm the theory I used a slice of the edge of a 321 grade sheet, ultimately it dissolved in the test after 15 minutes, you have to keep in mind its blow torch hot and there is an excess of oxygen available so the metal burns ;-)

Winter this year has been pretty mild I thought, we had a week or two of real cold weather when it dropped to -30 but other than that its been ok, I think our friends to the south have been blessed with more snow than we have had ;-) we have really popular ice village that gets built out on the edge of the lake but this year it actually opened late because the ice was not thick enough, they need 16" but it was end of January until we had enough.
http://www.villagesurglace.com/index.php?lang=EN

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

BenJet

Post by BenJet » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 pm

Everman, give us forum avatars!