Is the Beck technologies 10lb engine usable for RC-flight?

Moderator: Mike Everman

torpis
Antipspambot question: 125

Is the Beck technologies 10lb engine usable for RC-flight?

Post by torpis » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:52 pm

Looking for a sutable pulsejet for my RC-plane I came across the 10lb thrust valveless pulsejet from Beck technologies. Has anyone used one of those for RC-flight?

I'm looking building a delta style airplane with 1:1 thrust/weight ratio.

thanks!

http://beck-technologies.com/hobbyengines.html

Eric
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Is the Beck technologies 10lb engine usable for RC-flight?

Post by Eric » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:41 pm

It is suitable for flying, I guess my email didnt go through.

A lot of people have purchased them to put on their jets, but only one has kept in touch about actually flying with it. Hopefully sometime soon I can persuade him to get someone to come along and video tape the action.

He says he is getting about 12-13 lbs thrust with a gas-methanol mix, using a RC turbine pump.

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

torpis

Post by torpis » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:19 am

Sounds good, please resend you email :)

Would be very nice with a video to see how the speed effects the engine. valved engines seem to "rev higher" when going faster.

which are den dimensions of the engine, size and weight?

as for starting, have you ever tried useing a glowplug rather then a sparkplug? The turbines ignite very useing propane and an ordinary glowplug with the glow coil lifted slightly out of the plug it self.

Eric
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:51 am

Typically that is the Doppler effect that makes it sound like its a much higher frequency when its flying towards you, the in flight frequency is only a small change compared to the static frequency.

Most glowplugs I've seen have these delicate little coils that melt and die in pulsejets, you can start it with a flame at the intake, no spark plug or glow plug needed.

2am here after a very long day, will email you the other details tomorrow.

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

iassad

Post by iassad » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi Eric,

I am really interested in buying your PJ CD and specially the plan for this PJ, I sent you an email but it seems like you was not able to reply. Can you please PM me so I can send you the details.

Thanks a lot.