Thermonese Thrust Test Troubles

Moderator: Mike Everman

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Thermonese Thrust Test Troubles

Post by metiz » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:43 pm

Some time ago I made the 5 pound thermonese. It performed great, above expectations so I decided to make a couple of upscale engines on paper to about 50 pound. I recently made the engine designed for 20 pounds. James ran it through NUDiS for me and it stated it expected up to 27 pounds of thrust. Awesome right?

So yesterday when I decided to thrust test it, I was fully expecting a reading at 22+ pounds. It was TEN So I have only one question: why

The plans for this engine are posted below and so are some photographs of the engine itself. There's also a video of the thrust test. The intakes had a weird heat pattern - I do not know if it has any correlation with the performance but I made some pics of them anyway

This is a video of the first test. near the end you can see me putting my hand behind the exhaust and pulling it away quite fast because it was burning my hand, even a very low throttle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTlXjtif ... annel_page

The injectors were 5mm external D, 3mm internal, Rossco's and positioned 30% in the intakes. The injectors were kind of malformed but that didn't stop the engine from running great in my first test so I didn't alter anything. see plans for more on that

I used vapour to get the engine up to about 80% and the remaining 20% I did with liquid.

In the video, the coughing you hear and see are my injectors not liking the liquid/ not liking vapour+liquid at the same time.

Ambient temperature was about 15 degrees

I can not see any obvious design flaws other then a couple of things I could tweak the engine with.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to why this engine performed like I was feeding it fairies instead of high energy fuel and what I can do about it?
Attachments
100_0776.jpg
100_0778.jpg
intakes2.JPG
notice the heat pattern
intakes1.JPG
notice the heat pattern
thermonese test 2.wmv
(1.86 MiB) Downloaded 1000 times
tn20.GIF
(7.06 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Quantify the world.

milisavljevic

Re: Thermonese Thrust Test Troubles

Post by milisavljevic » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:57 pm

metiz wrote:So I have only one question: why?
I'm on it! :twisted:

I previously validated your 5-lber, so this one should pose no problem for my model.
I will post again once the model converges. And then we shall see what can be seen.

Cheers,
M.
no safe haven for merchant scum

for ye merchants who do the prop'r t'ing only if
ye be haul'd-up on charges b'fore ye ship-mates
an' threat'nd wit' forfeiture of all ye precious loot
hear this - so-called stand-up guys YE BE NOT

avast!
Cap'n M.

milisavljevic

Post by milisavljevic » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:42 pm

milisavljevic wrote:I will post again once the model converges.
Well, turns out there was no need to converge a model. Static thrust was available early on
and so I decided to "pull the plug" on this exercise until more information is made available.

If I consider the stated dimensions only, then sea level static thrust at 15 C is 14.8-15.3 lbs.
Let's call these "ideal world" results at net 15 lbs. Nothing more is possible with this design.

Not ever. Well, not ever, unless Fedde immerses it in his hypothetical 4 bar testing cell. :wink:

On the other hand, no build is perfect; there are always dimensional variances. You need to
carefully audit the "as-built" dimensions, especially the inlet and tailpipe internal diameters.

If you look closely at the second photo you supplied, you will notice that one of your intakes
is pinched just after the inlet flare. If this is not an optical effect and both intakes have an
inlet constriction of the magnitude seen here, the predicted thrust falls to about 11-12 lbs.

Limitations or problems in fuel delivery could easily take 11-12 lbs down to the observed 10
pounds, so I would ask you to carefully measure the internal diameters of your twin intakes.

If you intakes are not pinched, and the other dimensions are to spec., then you will need to
look closely at improving your fuel delivery system. I am happy to check the "as-built" dims.

Just post them here. :)

Good luck,
M.

avast!
Cap'n M.

ace_fedde
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by ace_fedde » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:06 pm

M.,
milisavljevic wrote:Not ever. Well, not ever, unless Fedde immerses it in his hypothetical 4 bar testing cell. :wink:
Not 4 bar, 4 atm=3 bar (in fact 3080mbar), at least in technical terms: Zero bar (overpressure) is still 1 atm. Oh dear, how people can make life difficult…
But entirely not important, the idea stays the same.

milisavljevic wrote: I previously validated your 5-lber, so this one should pose no problem for my model.
So you have the .qsav for the 5lb thermonese? :D
Could you, would you, please, maybe, perhaps, mozda,… see what happens at 4 atm (or 3 bar)? :?
Or could you pass on the .qsav to Metiz?

Thanks!!

Fedde
Your scepticism is fuel for my brain.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:07 pm

Looks short for its size, and way small for 20+ lbs.

Needing liquid for 10lbs thrust is also not a good sign.

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

metiz

Post by metiz » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:13 pm

Well, crap. 15 pounds max is, well, sh*t. Thanks for running it through its paces, M.

Yeah the intakes are not perfect. I found a dent or 2 here and there, probably because the engine bumped into the workbench or something.

With fuel delivery and (minor) construction faults I do see this engine not pull its weight. BUT I have a trick up my sleave! The tailcone has an angle (on paper) of 4.15 degrees and I think it could be bigger, maybe closer to 4.8 or even the full 5. With those mods, I'd say the tailpipe should be cut shorter by about 30% to. back to the drawing board!
Quantify the world.

metiz

Post by metiz » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:18 pm

Eric wrote:Looks short for its size, and way small for 20+ lbs.
I don't nececarily agree. this engine is an upscale of my 5 pounder and that one performed above expectations

Eric wrote: Needing liquid for 10lbs thrust is also not a good sign.
I agree. that said, I have a 15 pound chinese here, one of yours, that needs quite a bit more liquid to even get up to 15 and that's a chinese and not a fuel hungry thermo
Quantify the world.

milisavljevic

Post by milisavljevic » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:28 pm

ace_fedde wrote: Not 4 bar, 4 atm=3 bar (in fact 3080mbar).
Sorry. It is 4 bar, total pressure, as I used the word "immerse". Please insert coin and try again. :wink:
ace_fedde wrote: So you have the .qsav for the 5lb thermonese?
Sorry. I do not use NUDiS. I have never used NUDiS. I will never use NUDiS. No .qsav is available.

And yes, if I had the .qsav file for this pulsejet design, then I would gladly share it with you both. :D

Cheers,
M.

avast!
Cap'n M.

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:41 pm

M.,
milisavljevic wrote: Sorry. It is 4 bar, total pressure, as I used the word "immerse". Please insert coin and try again. :wink:
O.k. you win :(
milisavljevic wrote: Sorry. I do not use NUDiS. I have never used NUDiS. I will never use NUDiS. No .qsav is available.
Makes me wonder. Uflow it is? Or is there more in this wonderous world?

Fedde
Your scepticism is fuel for my brain.

metiz

Post by metiz » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:43 pm

alrightly couple of quick mods. Ramped the tailcone angle right up to 5 degrees and lenghtend the tailpipe to 270. Other dimensions remain unchanged.
Attachments
mods.JPG
mods.JPG (10.46 KiB) Viewed 9968 times
Quantify the world.

milisavljevic

Post by milisavljevic » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:45 pm

Hello Metiz,
metiz wrote:Thanks for running it through its paces, M.
No problem. I was happy to do it. The 5-lber was a real treat to model. It "punches above its weight". :D
metiz wrote:Yeah the intakes are not perfect.
Keep in mind that 100% of the oxygen for combustion comes through the intakes. "Handle with care". :wink:
metiz wrote:Back to the drawing board!
Good luck with that! Oh! You have already changed your design (new post). Will check after sleeping.

Cheers,
M.

avast!
Cap'n M.

milisavljevic

Post by milisavljevic » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Hello Fedde,
ace_fedde wrote:Makes me wonder. Uflow it is? Or is there more in this wonderous world?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
-- Hamlet Act 1, Scene 5

UFlow it is certainly not. Not with green eggs and ham, not in the rain, nor in an Air France plane. :(

Cheers,
M.

avast!
Cap'n M.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:44 pm

What kind of injector were you using? I've gotten over 17 lbs out of the '12' lb chinese with vapor only and it wasnt particularly warm out and wasnt able to flame out. With a proper injector the flame out the intake of the chinese should just be a tight skinny flame at max throttle, if its a big fat flame the injector needs to be placed deeper or changed to a different type.

If the engine is too short, or not fat enough, the combustion wont have enough resistance to expansion to do any meaningful work.

Bigger intakes are not always better. If you want big intakes its better to go with a single intake, there are less losses as far as breathing in and out, if breathing in and out is what you want to do. With the typical chinese or bent engine, you want it to breath in and out of the intake.

Multiple intakes are generally for controlling flow in and out of the intakes. Small intakes, with propane as fuel, act as a one way valve compared to more even in and out flow bias of a chinese.

When done properly, the intakes expel so little exhaust that they may as well be a valve. The combustion products want to go out of the tail, which is where you can efficiently generate thrust. When scaled up real large, the thermo's need more than 2 intakes to maintain this effect.

You're small one probably worked better because the intakes were smaller relative to the fuel jet, giving less back flow. But there is no reason the little one lengthened a bit, with a fatter tail, and smaller intakes with larger flares, should put out any less than 8 lbs. I wouldnt consider 5.2 lbs thrust a big increase for a chinese type tail, when a straight tail thermo of the same size can put out 4.5.

Short fat engines maybe able to produce a lot of thrust, but often at significantly higher fuel consumption costs. A longer engine will be better able to harness the expansion to produce thrust efficiently.
Attachments
advthermo1.jpg
Adv thermo circa 2007

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:02 pm

Metiz It seems I infact ran nudis on your 45/50 lb picture. My bad.
I also told you that with nudis when you turn two intakes into 1 your error margin grows widely. Theres nothing wrong with nudis, its a useful tool when you know how to read it.
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:11 pm

Extrapolating from your dimensioned drawing, the engine is approximately the size of my 10lb thermo.

Once you get injectors set up properly to inject enough fuel I would expect it to put out about 11.5-12.5 lbs thrust with the expanded tail, which would correlate to the increase in thrust from your smaller version compared to a straight tail thermo. Could be more or less depending on your exact dimensions.