The QD-88 lives!!

Moderator: Mike Everman

hinote
Antipspambot question: 0

The QD-88 lives!!

Post by hinote » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:15 am

Hello to my fellow forum members:

Today, I was able to accompllish the first runs of the QD-88 derivative--the HO (high-output) version of the QD pulsejet project that is software designed (by "M.") and built by me.

The previous version (as you may recall) was measured at almost EXACTLY its predicted thrust, and was subsequently turned into metallic taffy after an extended hot run, followed by a hot shutdown. A real PJ disaster, IMHO.

After cutting the poor beast apart and saving the useable pieces, the engine was reassembled with the necessary new components as well as the HO tailpipe mod.

The newly-predicted rating is 40 lbf nominal and 45 lbf max (BTW on the SAME fuel consumption as before).

Today, I went to my test site (in the middle of a local airport) and made the first runs with the current version (on the newly-modified thrust-measuring stand). Here's my latest report on the results:

There's GOOD news, and BAD news:

The BAD news is, I can't think of anything bad to report!

The GOOD news is, as follows:

1. The engine started (on its own), with nothing more than supplied fuel and spark --no supplemental air required. Bruce Simpson has also described this phenomenom, and I think it's a combination of the dynamics of a larger engine combined with some luck, and a propane feed that induces supporting air for the start.

2. The engine is throttleable over a HUGE range--easily in excess of a 10:1 turndown ratio. I'll let M. describe why this is so,--if he wants to.

3. The projected increase in thrust appears to be WAY too conservative, based on initial thrust measurements. I exceeded the nominal thrust ratings, with only a partial throttle setting. The thrust stand is still not satisfactory--the tension spring only works across a limited range of values. I'm probably going to "bite the bullet", and install a strain gauge to measure the thrust digitally, with stated/guaranteed repeatability. Plus, I can record the numbers to a datalogger for further evaluation. Luckily, my brother is in aerospace and is using just this kind of equipment in his current work.

I would again like to take this opportunity to thank M. for including me in his efforts to create advances in the PJ art/technology.

Stay tuned for more reports. My next effort is to create some TSFC numbers--in spite of the hinderance of using (difficult to measure) gaseous propane.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts, Inc.

P.S.: M. doesn't (yet) know anything about this test, or this posting to the forum; it will be interesting to see what his reply will be.
Last edited by hinote on Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

larry cottrill

CONGRATULATIONS!

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:53 am

Bill -

My heartiest congratulations to you and M.!

That sounds like a wonderful achievement -- I especially like the news about throttleability, which has always seems to be a substantial practical problem in pulsejet design.

Yes, it will be fun to see how M. responds when he awakens to the news ...

All the best,
L Cottrill

hinote

Re: CONGRATULATIONS!

Post by hinote » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:07 am

Larry Cottrill wrote:-- I especially like the news about throttleability, which has always seems to be a substantial practical problem in pulsejet design.
I'm going to stretch my welcome with M. and tell everybody:

--it's a fuel-delivery issue. 'Nuf said!

I find it hard to believe that one person can have so much savvy about such an obscure technology as pulsejets, but I can assure you-all, M. really knows his stuff, PJ-wise.

Bill H.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:27 am

Congrats, Bill! I love posts like this. How cool! You guys are complete studs.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

milisavljevic
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by milisavljevic » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:41 pm

DELETED.
Last edited by milisavljevic on Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.

milisavljevic

Post by milisavljevic » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:42 pm

DELETED.
Last edited by milisavljevic on Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

resosys

Post by resosys » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:06 pm

Impressive work!

Congratulations gentlemen.

Chris

k.maynard

Post by k.maynard » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:46 pm

I'm so jealous

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:48 pm

Being jealous is not the way, just enjoy the progress hehe!

k.maynard

Post by k.maynard » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:29 am

yes.. you are right. i do enjoy the progress.

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:48 am

There's plenty of pain and suffering to go around and plenty of things to try.
Mark

milisavljevic

Post by milisavljevic » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:03 am

DELETED.
Last edited by milisavljevic on Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Graham C. Williams

SFC

Post by Graham C. Williams » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:28 pm

milisavljevic wrote:The magnitude for an absolute maximum is 2.5, and an absolute minimum is 2.1.
Well done.

Graham.

mk

Post by mk » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:59 pm

Congratulations again to you, Bill and Milsavljevic!!
REALLY impressive work!
Hearing (or rather reading) such "good news" in pj developement just makes these "fire pipes" more and more interesting...
mk

hinote

Post by hinote » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:17 pm

mk wrote:Congratulations again to you, Bill and Milsavljevic!!
REALLY impressive work!
Hearing (or rather reading) such "good news" in pj developement just makes these "fire pipes" more and more interesting...
The QD series is a single-inlet design, and owes its heritage to the SNECMA Ecrevisse.

My experience with the 4-tube Kentfield, although positive, would lead me to recommend a single-inlet design if possible--to avoid the complications of construction and fuel feed.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts