Calculating top speed on ice...

Moderator: Mike Everman

Johansson
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Calculating top speed on ice...

Post by Johansson » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 pm

The front engine mount is finished, I carried the kick outside to get a decent background on the pics.
T2 bygge 24.JPG
T2 bygge 25.JPG
T2 bygge 26.JPG
T2 bygge 27.JPG

PyroJoe
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by PyroJoe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:25 pm

Looking good! Two frost bitten thumbs up. :wink:

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:10 pm

No frost bite, it is only -20°C outside now. Last week I read -36°C outside my work car and that was a bit chilly... :?

I´ve bought a coil of 3/8" copper tube so tomorrow I will try to make a fixture for my lathe to wind the preheat coil on.

Barry

Post by Barry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:14 am

Really nice work man.And be carefull with that sledge.
LOUD PIPES - SAVE LIVES

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:37 pm

The word "careful" is somewhat misplaced with a glowing hot jet engine between your legs, don´t you think? :mrgreen:

Anyway, I have started making the vapour coil today. With at least 6 straight hours at my disposal tomorrow I should be able to finish it, make the connections to it and some other stuff as well. I aim for a start attempt on sunday morning so I have to get busy in order to have the kick ready by then.
T2 bygge 30.JPG
T2 bygge 32.JPG
T2 bygge 34.JPG

GRIM

Post by GRIM » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:04 am

Looking VERY GOOD Anders, as you know i done mine a little differently with the tails coming out radially , and it was a BEAR to get in there,
Best of luck with your test session , have fun but be safe , and VIDEO EVERYTHING lol

Barry

Post by Barry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:12 pm

Héy Johanson,will the red copper not melt in the combustion chamber?? 2 questions more:

How you will steer that sledge & how you will stop that monster.
What fuel you gonna use??

Next holliday I come to you for fishing & speeddriving on ICE!!!! :twisted:

Yes,I will break my record,but that is not possible in Belgium or Holland:

LOUD PIPES - SAVE LIVES

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi Barry!

Hopefully not, the coil lenght should be just long enough for the diesel fuel to completely turn to vapour. If it is too long it will melt so I will see how it works.

Steering is done by hand, when the handlebar is turned the steel runners bend and point the nose in a new direction. Braking will be done with the heels, so I guess that I have to fit some studs to the soles for extra grip... :mrgreen:

You are most welcome, we´ll make you a guest-member of Ödesböle Outlaws if you want to race next year.
T2 bygge 37.JPG
T2 bygge 38.JPG

Barry

Post by Barry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Really beautifull what you are building there.Very interesting that you run on diesel.It is very interesting me,can you work that out into a "howto" if it works??
isn't it not bet better that you wrap the copper tube onto the outside of the pJ??What nozzle you are using and what pump??I know , I ask a lot of questions,but I love those things so much........
LOUD PIPES - SAVE LIVES

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks!

Actually I am not sure what fuel I will run her on, diesel would be the safest fuel but I will also try gasoline and E85 just to find out which one is the best.

The coil will absorb much more heat if it is inside the combustor, I tried wrapping it on the outside earlier but with limited success. I have a 1mm restrictor soldered into the entry of the coil and a Walbro fuel pump, if 1mm is too restrictive I can easily open it up to 1.5 with a drill.

For the initial testing I will use a simple hole in the end of the injector, haven´t decided the size of the hole yet though.

Keep asking, I am glad if I can be of any help! :D

I finished the injectors this evening and fitted the engine to the frame, all fuel lines and cables are hooked up so tomorrow I can start doing some preheat tests outside my workshop. For any real tests I will have to take the kick far away to avoid upsetting the neighbours. :roll:
T2 bygge 41.JPG
T2 bygge 42.JPG
T2 bygge 43.JPG
T2 bygge 44.JPG
T2 bygge 45.JPG

Barry

Post by Barry » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:06 am

You work so fast.Never need sleep?? :mrgreen:

The splitter you are using , that's is what I'am looking for,mayby it's better for my M40.I think there is one intake gets always too much gas & that might be the problem to start him with both intakes open.

And maybe I missed something,but on the pic above(head) , I see the red copper tube - spark plug - en what is that on the right side that you weld on??
LOUD PIPES - SAVE LIVES

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:53 am

Like a friend says, you can sleep when you are dead. :mrgreen:

The thing beside the spark plug and the copper tube is a propane preheater, I will use it to heat the vapour coil before starting. That way I won´t have to start the engine on propane which is great since the propane tank pressure in winter temps is too low for the engine to start. It also has a blocking valve for the air ports so the heater can still be attached to the engine while it is running.
Brännare färdig 1.JPG
http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... nished.flv

Barry

Post by Barry » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:16 am

SHIT.....I have a lot to learn.So you can start with diesel after that small flame heated up the coil.

RESPECT for your work.I hope he-or she will running soon.Ow yeah , How do you regulate that pump speed??Or is that just the restrictor that you use?

And I know the Swedish people do a lot with engines & motors.I love to see dragstar races on TV.Lot of Swedish there & they beat the Americans. :twisted:

Now I'am working the injectors like GRIM told me.First for trying on the 25 pounder Chinese from Eric Beck's plans.Now making in a 8mm brass tube.
LOUD PIPES - SAVE LIVES

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:50 pm

For fuel regulation I use the throttle valve that I made for my jetbike, it works fine with a linear throttle range after some tuning.
Gasreglage 1.JPG
Gasreglage 12.JPG
Throttle cutthrough.JPG
I hope that I can start it directly on diesel when the coil is hot, I tried heating it today and after 15-20 seconds it was hot enough to vapourise gasoline. Tomorrow we will take it to our test location and give it a go, keep your fingers crossed!

I also finished the injectors today along with some other things to get it ready for the test.
T2 bygge 48.JPG
T2 bygge 51.JPG
You can see on this pic that it has been seeing some heat, the inside of the combustor is covered in soot from overfuelling the coil during the preheating test.
T2 bygge 49.JPG

hinote

Post by hinote » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:08 pm

Johansson wrote:Thanks!

Actually I am not sure what fuel I will run her on, diesel would be the safest fuel but I will also try gasoline and E85 just to find out which one is the best.
It's worth noting here that both the German Argus pulsejet used on the V1 flying bomb and the SNECMA efforts in valveless engines, used gasoline as their fuel of choice. I suspect there's a reason for this, involving either/both the vaporization issue, and flame speed considerations.

I believe alcohol may be unsuitable for your project because of its low flame speed (equivalent to higher octane numbers).

Good luck on your project!

Bill