Calculating top speed on ice...

Moderator: Mike Everman

Eric
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Calculating top speed on ice...

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Actually, making the cones takes longer with the slip roll if it even works properly, only thing they are good for in my opinion is rolling straight sections, with making cones there is too much adjustment and screwing around to get things to work properly, and then every time you have to tighten it down you need to re-do all the adjustments.

There should be a few things listed in the tools and construction forum that will help you roll stuff, and there are a number of modifications you can make to make very quick accurate cones.

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:36 pm

I returned the slip roll today so I will continue hand rolling cones and spend the cash on stainless sheet and beer instead. :)

I painted the frame this evening by the way.
Spark1.jpg
IMG_1777.JPG
IMG_1773.JPG

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:03 am

I put the frame together yesterday, it looks pretty ok now but things might look a bit different when things start to heat up... :mrgreen:
IMG_1787.JPG

weldion

Post by weldion » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:52 pm

I'm also moving forward with my project.

I have too much work to do and my spare time is mostly spent in the garage, so updating at this forum is not my priority at the moment.

milisavljevic
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by milisavljevic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:35 am

Hejsan Erik!
weldion wrote:I'm also moving forward with my project.
:twisted: Wicked ride, dude !!! :twisted:

It's Monday morning now in Sweden. I've sent Anders an email with some good news:
make sure that he shares it with you. And please, put one beer in the corner for me.

Keep up the good work, mate! :P

Cheers,
M.
no safe haven for merchant scum

for ye merchants who do the prop'r t'ing only if
ye be haul'd-up on charges b'fore ye ship-mates
an' threat'nd wit' forfeiture of all ye precious loot
hear this - so-called stand-up guys YE BE NOT

avast!
Cap'n M.

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:28 pm

mm, is that good news something that starts with TC and ends with II?
Your scepticism is fuel for my brain.

milisavljevic

Post by milisavljevic » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:35 am

Ahoy Fedde!
ace_fedde wrote:Is that good news something that starts with TC and ends with II?
Aaarrrrr! Ye be blowin' up me topsails, matey, what with these infernal guessin' games!

Yet, ye be largely correct, as Thunderchine II be a comin' down the ways ere long now.
Me secret: there also be an even bigg'r 'chine, the Megachine, a comin' down the ways.

You be a good lad an' not be a pesterin' me whilst I have me math works to attend. hic!

Aaarrrrr!

Cap'n M.
no safe haven for merchant scum

for ye merchants who do the prop'r t'ing only if
ye be haul'd-up on charges b'fore ye ship-mates
an' threat'nd wit' forfeiture of all ye precious loot
hear this - so-called stand-up guys YE BE NOT

avast!
Cap'n M.

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:26 pm

Hey Super Hik!

Although pirate talk is substantially influenced by Dutch language, it is Double Dutch to me :lol: :lol:

Still I would like to comment: :D :D can't wait :D :D

Ja sad pečem Cap'nR. u bSFRJ, hic!

Fedde
Your scepticism is fuel for my brain.

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:40 pm

It was quite a while since I updated this thread, you cannot tell that anything has happened to the kick by looking at it but M, GRIM and I have straightened many question marks about the winter running so at the moment I am working on a propane burner to heat the vapour coil with.

I did an attempt a month ago to run the engine on propane but it was impossible to get it to start at 0°C, so GRIM and M has put much effort into solving this problem for me for which I am very thankful. The hunting season has put a stop to any engine tests for me this authumn, but those bastards must have shot all the elks they can eat by now so I will build a new stainless engine soon and continue the tests with liquid fuel.
Attachments
Burner 3.JPG

luc

Post by luc » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:52 pm

Hi Johansson,
Johansson wrote:I did an attempt a month ago to run the engine on propane but it was impossible to get it to start at 0°C,
WHAT ... :? :? :? :?: :?: :?:

This come as a surprise ... What sort of engine OR propane (i.e : 20 years old propane residue ... :lol: ) are you using????

We never had any problems starting our engines even at temperatures as low as -30°C

That's strange :?

Let me know if I can help,

Cya,
Luc
Designer & Inventor

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi Luc,

The main reason was lack of propane flow, the only bottle with propane left was a 5kg bottle so that in combination with low vapour pressure was the main reason why it didn´t want to start.

I will only use propane to get the engine heated up until the vapour coil starts to work, at the race I will run the engine on diesel so the propane won´t be needed to actually run the engine.

Thanks for the offer Luc, but I feel that we are on the right track now and should have the fuel issue solved pretty soon. :)

luc

Post by luc » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi Johansson,

Haaaaaaa ... Okeyyy .... Got the picture now ...

I was just very surprise reading about "An engine that could not start at 0°C ... That's all ...

Cheers and good luck with your baby ...
Luc
Designer & Inventor

Viv

Post by Viv » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi Anders

Would it be possible to use a slightly more green solution for that initial vaporizer heating and use some thing like Joe's wood gasifier? maybe also have it as a brazier to help keep your pit crew warm ;-)

And yes I know another project to do but maybe a bit of fun to add to the event ;-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:28 am

Hi VIv,

Joe has actually tried to preheat the CC with coal, a blower down one intake to provide some air made it work just fine. It should also work with wooden pellets if a more environmentally approach is needed, but the problem with this in my case is that when the engine starts it blows all of the burning coal/wood out of the tailpipe along with a large cloud of dust that will stain the entire starting area on the lake. The other racers won´t be happy either to get their vehicles covered by this.

Besides, the propane consumed by this is nothing compared to the gallon of diesel that gets burned an instant later... :roll:
Viv wrote:Hi Anders

Would it be possible to use a slightly more green solution for that initial vaporizer heating and use some thing like Joe's wood gasifier? maybe also have it as a brazier to help keep your pit crew warm ;-)

And yes I know another project to do but maybe a bit of fun to add to the event ;-)

Viv

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Anders ;-) I was only thinking of using the wood gas instead of Butane but I like your idea more ;-)

But get a start up video!

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire