Need Help With First Jet Engine

Moderator: Mike Everman

sinbad

Need Help With First Jet Engine

Post by sinbad » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:52 pm

First off, I have no experience with jets of any kind, valved or valveless. I'm a sophomore in high school and stumbled across an article on a valveless and thought it would be fun to build one. Right now I'm hoping to build one under the pretense of doing something with it in a science fair, so my parents will let me buy propane. So, while having it work and be testable (thrust wise, comparing the effects of augmenters) would be ideal, it is by no means mandatory.

But anyway, I was wondering what exact tools and materials I need to build a valveless pulse jet engine, assuming at this point it will be focused wave. My school should have any tools needed to build it, but I want to maintain some level of dignity and for a few minutes appear I know what I'm talking about. Sadly, I don't have a whole lot of experience with sheet metal, either. Any other tips or suggestions anyone has are appreciated too. Thanks.

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Need Help With First Jet Engine

Post by metiz » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:00 am

sheet metal
hammer
saw
file
drill
vise
welder

those are pretty much all the basic tools you need to make a simple engine

in the valveless forum, click on "essential reading" for loads of info
Quantify the world.

sinbad

Post by sinbad » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:55 am

Thanks. Any suggestions as to what to use for a welder?

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by metiz » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:55 pm

MIG welders work wel and are easy to use. You could also use TIG welders if you know how to use them and if you have the money. Actualy, they're probably better for thin sheet metal. ARC welders are not realy suited for sheet steel that thin but you could try if you can lend one somewhere or something
Quantify the world.

sinbad

Post by sinbad » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:06 pm

Ok, I'll probably go for a MIG welder then.

zueg
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by zueg » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:05 am

check out past posts for a straight pipe PJ. Have successfully built and ran one myself.
All you need is a pipe wrench and a few other odds and ends.
ZUEG K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid

Graham C. Williams

Post by Graham C. Williams » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:46 pm

sinbad wrote: I want to maintain some level of dignity and for a few minutes appear I know what I'm talking about.
Hi.
Ha, Forget the Dignity. The mechanical simplicity of these motors hides a horrible complexity. They all have a habit of doing the unexpected when you don't want them to. We all have stories but your doing the right thing by starting with one of the FWE motors. Just build it as well as you can and stick to the dimensions given. Check for holes and leaks. Give as much care to the fuel delivery system as you do to the pipe design and all should be well.

Enjoy.
Graham.
Dark days nurture new
light. Productions begin.
Now open your eyes.

Jutte

Post by Jutte » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:08 am

Hi Sinbad,
Hey your high school metal shop should have all the necessary tools to get the job done.
If they haven't got a MIG welder - a short trip to a car exhaust repairer will set you right.
As for the dignity bit...hahahahaha!!!