Multiple inlets

Moderator: Mike Everman

GRIM
Antipspambot question: 0

Multiple inlets

Post by GRIM » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:36 pm

Inlets 7 X 10 mm id

It is curious to see the combustión through so many holes , ha,

Will post more photos with it running , time!!, where does all the time go these days ¿??
Attachments
IMG_0771.jpg

Mike Everman

Re: Multiple inlets

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:48 pm

Bwaha ha ha
That's cool. Most I've done is four. Running vid would be great.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Ghrey
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Ghrey » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:51 am

Yes that is a must see.

Was tuning an issue?

Cheers!
In the process of moving, from the glorified phone booth we had to the house we have.

No real time to work on jets, more space, no time.

Life still complicated.

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:47 am

Gatling would be proud :D haha
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

Graham C. Williams

Post by Graham C. Williams » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:11 am

Good Morning.
'Kentfield' et al, did some work and made some comments concerning multiple intakes. Later 'Bill' duplicated this work, I think his results are on the forum somewhere?

Graham.
Dark days nurture new
light. Productions begin.
Now open your eyes.

GRIM

Post by GRIM » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:58 am

Thanks to all for the replies , will check out ¨Bill¨ and Kentfield, Heres a picture and two (shakey) vids ,

There is a reason for the two vids, would someone be so kind as to confirm frequency for me, according to my program the frequency is higher in the second vid, (the injector was a little deeper ),

I think the inlets should be longer , only one way to find out I guess,

I will post a pdf of the dims if anyone is interested

All fun
Attachments
6 SHOOTER 2.wmv
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 846 times
6 SHOOTER 1.wmv
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 851 times
MVI_0783 002_0001.jpg
MVI_0783 002_0001.jpg (31.68 KiB) Viewed 10243 times

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:14 pm

Absolutely great stuff! What is your fuel pipe like? I mean, does it just empty downstream in the center pipe, or does it "project" fuel outward inside the chamber, to cover the outer intakes?

Really nice one, man!

L Cottrill

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:34 pm

Hi Grim

What a superb little engine, well done

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

GRIM

Post by GRIM » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:31 pm

Hey thanks guys , heres the pdf ,

The injector is one of my 3 point deals with 3 #16 hypodermic needles silver soldered into the end then bent around at near to 90degrees so they ¨spray¨ out over the outer inlets , it is not nearly as nice as the drawing shows , ha, will try to get a pic,

Also quite surprising that it survives there in the cc , but I have done similar things before , as long as there is a good gas flow I believe it provides sufficient cooling to avoid melt down,

I am quite pleased with this one , just feel it would work better with longer inlets , will give it a try , might even make a stainless one just for the hell of it ,
Attachments
6 shooter pdf.pdf
(12.23 KiB) Downloaded 319 times

hinote

Post by hinote » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:44 pm

SRL did this hovercraft project some years ago ('02 I think) and powered it with multi-inlet PJ's.

Here's a photo of that project.
Attachments
hovercraft_small.jpg
Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

hinote

Post by hinote » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:21 pm

There's a lot of material on this site about the Kentfield and similar efforts, using a 4-tube inlet array. Use the search engine to find related material!

I believe that 4 intakes may be optimum; my theory is that the wetted area of increasing tube arrays dilutes any advantage they would otherwise have.

The Kentfield is a proven design, but not perfect. My experience with it as a first effort in valveless PJ's shows that it's easy to start and run. The tail meg is quite long and eliminates the possibility of inserting the desirable ubend to point both ends in the right direction. Fueling with propane is a no-brainer, with the use of a centrally located injector squirting radially into the intake flow.

M has supplied dimensions for an improved version, with greater power and better TSFC. I believe he also offered to provide specs for a unit with ubend capability.

As a teaser I'm attaching Larry C.'s excellent posterized images of my Kentfield project running on liquid fuel and equipped with recuperators. Old news, BTW
Attachments
hinote_kentfield_poster_sample2.jpg
Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

GRIM

Post by GRIM » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:47 pm

Thanks bill , thats some great feedback , i am just having some fun with this little engine , but it is good to have some information to base a possible next step upon,

the hovercraft is cool , it is clear that there are exhaust augmentors , are they tiny inlet augmentors in the photo?
if so i wonder how efficient they are ,

thanks
again

joe

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:21 pm

I think those are non augmenting u-bent recouperators, though even at the same diameter as the intake, it can give a bit of augmentation, as a cold air plug is in there alternately. Oh, I see now that there is also augmentors beyond that.
I love that video of your motor!
Is there a throttle setting that gets you a blue burn? It's getting pretty involved down the tail. I like it. You going to get a thrust off of it?
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

GRIM

Post by GRIM » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:17 pm

Hi Mike
No currently very little throttle range, no nice blue flames , except at start ,and I agree things are getting a little warm down the tail ,

looking at the ratios, seems to me that the inlets are too short and the tail is too long , amazing it runs at all really,

I intend to try some mods , then see if i cant get a thrust reading, will keep all informed of progress,

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:57 pm

Hey there,

That's an awesome engine, one question I do have is about the barrels themselves, as they protrude out the front? do they come flush with where their all joined too or they do they protrude inwards as well?

See I was thinking if they came flush, they would allow more blow-through? but maybe if they were set-back into the inner chamber they might stop some of the burnt force from exiting where the intake is coming in.
That's an awesome engine man, would love to hear about the overall what got you thinking along these lines, simply awesome :)

*Does anyone know if an explosion acts the same way a flame does and that it would be hollow?

I have seen a resonant jet patent which kinda did the same with the pipes as inlets, I'll see if I can dig it out for you :)

All the best,
Charlie