New PJ Designs and Feedback

Moderator: Mike Everman

Rossco
Antipspambot question: 0

New PJ Designs and Feedback

Post by Rossco » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:05 pm

You all seem to be playing with the same old designs?
I want to see all the new designs that are still crazy experiments going on in the gararge!

C'mon, Ill show you mine if you show me yours!

What is the general consences of this idea? How willing is everyone to share their new ideas?

Ross.

For example, has anyone got any good ideas for torque output?

I do, and its supercharged too. Came to me as i was mowing the lawn. You can probably guess most of the rest!!!! And no it doesnt cook the stuff.
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

Mike Everman

Re: New PJ Designs and Feedback

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:40 pm

Ross, howdy.
A few months back we had some good discussion re: torque in http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/viewto ... 32&start=0

For different and whacky designs, please check some of the threads I started from October forward, particularly JAVFE, "Worlds simplest valveless?" and Kazoo threads. One I started re: laminar flow bends prompted Chris Brick (resosys) to build a triangular locky, which was an interesting thread.

Of course, the ones dear to me are the ones I began, but there's actually been a lot of new designs in the last few months in threads started by Bruno, Ville (Vhautaka), MK, Larry and Tufty. Makes me want to go read them all again.

For me, check out the 75mm Locky Kazoo thread. Yeah, it's pretty much the same old geometry, but a simple build-up method that has changeable geometry while running, and is improving weekly, moving toward being it's own animal...

I guess "welcome back" is in order, though I wasn't around when you were last. ;-P

ps: sorry about the predominantly "me me me" nature of threads I quote, they're fresh in my mind, and brought a lot of heated debate!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

jmhdx

Not a Lockwood.

Post by jmhdx » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:59 pm

A pleasure to make your aquantance Rossco. I am also unimpessed with the imagination displayed since I've been reading this page. I know why. The best ideas are sacred to those who have dreamt them. If we could learn to respect each others rights to credit and copyright we still have rights to income earned to worry about. Profit and progress are horses pulling in different directoins.
If you can view this image, this is my most developed new design.

Sharing too much.
Mike Sargent.
Attachments
TGA.TIF.tif
(61.29 KiB) Downloaded 1123 times

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:50 pm

Thanx for that Mike, i couldnt see a thing, or download it?
Ill have to look into viewing TIF files.

Righto, that has got the ball rolling hopefully.
Ill get on to getting one of my engines up here......after work.
Really cuts into your spare time that does!!!!!

Ive got a double combustion chamber one that i really need some insparation on. Ive lost interest for some reason on it, but when i started it was revolutionary in my mind!
Its built, just needs to be tuned. resonates in one CC at the mom. regardless of the other. Its not supposed to resonate, sortof. explain it later.

My computer also got wrecked and then fully re formatted and i lost everything, renderings and all! So i may be a bit slow on getting it all done.

PS iv had a thought on this new design thread thing too.
Ive suddenly thought that we should start it up as a main catigory and keep each thread dedicated to each single engine, and its progress.

gotta go to work, uroo

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:09 pm

Hey, Ross
I'm a big proponent of putting it out there and damn the torpedos. The usual complaint is the old "so and so just lurks on the forum to get ideas to make money on" etc., but my feeling is you are protected in the states at least by public disclosure of your idea; that is, you have one year to file a patent after disclosure if it turns out you want to. After that, your idea is public domain. Disclosure immediately nullifys your rights out of the country, though. It's sticky for some that want to make a living off of this stuff.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Not a Lockwood.

Post by Viv » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:01 am

jmhdx wrote:A pleasure to make your aquantance Rossco. I am also unimpessed with the imagination displayed since I've been reading this page. I know why. The best ideas are sacred to those who have dreamt them. If we could learn to respect each others rights to credit and copyright we still have rights to income earned to worry about. Profit and progress are horses pulling in different directoins.
If you can view this image, this is my most developed new design.

Sharing too much.
Mike Sargent.
Ho! not only the sacred to the ones that have dreamt them, you have to watch out for the magicians aprrentice too as i found out:-)

They are twice as bad as they think they know it all not realising they know only what he told them!

Viv;-)
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:13 am

Im aware of the "prowlers" but surely its worth it just to have the combined knowledge of all that is here. I may not get anywhere with my engines, i may, but even then would i market them and get them out there? I would prefer to build one that works than work on one forever that might work. If i work with others on them then i may get there.
I need some interest with this.
How many of you are truly making a living out of this? Directly from pulse jets? Then why does noone know about them? (a very small amount of people do) Because there hasnt been anything that has come out for a long time that the world has had to sit up and listen to.
Theres got to be enough knowledge and ideas here to put something together that could really make it.
How about it. we all going to play like adults?
Think of the advances that came about making the V1. We now have a world wide cumulation of knowledge, and even more important experience, instantly accesable. We have to be able to make even bigger steps.
Ill stop preaching now. But i do think that we should be able to openly discus ideas without fear of losing or missing out on something.
Ill start, i want feed back, and i want suggestions if not other designs for discusion.

Rossco

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:21 pm

Rossco wrote:Im aware of the "prowlers" but surely its worth it just to have the combined knowledge of all that is here. I may not get anywhere with my engines, i may, but even then would i market them and get them out there? I would prefer to build one that works than work on one forever that might work. If i work with others on them then i may get there.
I need some interest with this.
How many of you are truly making a living out of this? Directly from pulse jets? Then why does noone know about them? (a very small amount of people do) Because there hasnt been anything that has come out for a long time that the world has had to sit up and listen to.
Theres got to be enough knowledge and ideas here to put something together that could really make it.
How about it. we all going to play like adults?
Think of the advances that came about making the V1. We now have a world wide cumulation of knowledge, and even more important experience, instantly accesable. We have to be able to make even bigger steps.
Ill stop preaching now. But i do think that we should be able to openly discus ideas without fear of losing or missing out on something.
Ill start, i want feed back, and i want suggestions if not other designs for discusion.

Rossco
Rossco -

In general, I agree. The exception I make is my Cyclodyne(TM) design, which I honestly thought once might put food on my table by revolutionizing EVERYTHING. NASA didn't think so ...
http://bz9.com/rejection

But, I used to publish all my junk on the old forum, and welcomed all comments, criticism and improvements. That's a great way to learn -- my stuff always looks wonderful to me, until the feedback starts rolling in and I'm brought back down to earth. Here's one I proposed away back in October of 2002:

L Cottrill
Attachments
Laserdyne_2.jpg
(295.93 KiB) Downloaded 1080 times

jmhdx

Superb!

Post by jmhdx » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:26 pm

Larry, that is superb, I've been thinking of a gas spring, your design is the only one I've seen. Does it need to be that shape?! It must have required some "against the rule" thinking.
The acceleration of passing air.
Thats the principle, love it.
Your BWE would also produce a torroid, these I believe will yeild good resonace and kadency, not that I know any of either.
A good post.
Mike Sargent.

larry cottrill

Re: Superb!

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:34 pm

jmhdx wrote:Larry, that is superb, I've been thinking of a gas spring, your design is the only one I've seen. Does it need to be that shape?! It must have required some "against the rule" thinking.
The acceleration of passing air.
Thats the principle, love it.
Your BWE would also produce a torroid, these I believe will yeild good resonace and kadency, not that I know any of either.
A good post.
Mike Sargent.
Mike -

Thanks. If I remember right, Graham kind of liked that one. I was kind on a Wave Engine roll at the time. Here's something simpler - this would be built with a constant width of bent sheet metal between two flat sides. I think this would be a good design for my proposed 'Greasodyne' - the world's loudest burger grill:

L Cottrill
Attachments
Double barrel.jpg
(125.53 KiB) Downloaded 991 times

jmhdx

Post by jmhdx » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:03 pm

How fast is the wave?
Not wanting to change thread.
In solid it is near light speed isn't it?

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:41 pm

jmhdx wrote:How fast is the wave?
Not wanting to change thread.
In solid it is near light speed isn't it?
Mike, if I knew that, I could tell you whether it might possibly run! ;-)

What you'd realize, if you could study the old forums, is that with me design is a matter of principles [and never mind my limited understanding of them!] -- the maths have to be worked out by others. I draw this stuff so that it looks good to me; that's all I expect from it.

The relative proportions within my designs were often criticized, and sometimes hotly debated. Of course, some of that depends on the scale you assume -- I don't normally put a scale on anything I draw, they're more on the order of 'patent drawings'. I usually imagine them really small [since that's the world I'm most naturally interested in], but this one was imagined by me to be about a metre in outside diameter.

The name Laserdyne(TM) was derived from the back-and-forth wave reflections between the two chambers, like the mirrors of a laser [I have a checkered history of working with optics, though mostly for astronomy rather than Physics Lab use].

L Cottrill

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:05 pm

This is one that i have lost interest/inspiration with.

-Only one side has an ignition spark.
-fuel is delivered to both CC's after the neck of the intake at 90 to the intake flow.
-The fuel lines come from a T piece that has a common fuel feed.
(they may need check valves, but my theory with propane is that the pressure of the hot side dumps gas fast into the new air rushing into the charging side stiring things up?)

Do i need to explain my theoretical operation?

Ive built one, but its just its too close to resonance. mostly the tail is too long i think. One pipe will run, with air, and the other one stays cold. Separate fuel is fed to each CC. When one is running in this close to resonant thing, nothing changes by fueling the other or not. Not even more flame up the tail pipe even tho air is beeing sucked into the intake with the fuel?

The most exiting thing that ive done with it is fill both CC's with gas, switch on the ignition and give the ignition side a blast of air.
It gives a double boom that makes things fall over in the house.
Ive done this a couple of times in a row and both chambers heat up. So its firing through the pipe at the front into the second chamber and must be compressing the second charge because its bigger than any other combustion that isnt contained that ive played with.

I plan to change the length of the pipe at the front trying to get the timing right, shorten the tail pipe, lengthen the intakes... dont know.
The problem is that i can't run the thing here (in the city), i have to go out of town.
Finding a place with power and an area to work on them and then running the things without anyone complaining is a hard task.
Give us a yell if you dont get it by the way.
My rendered 3D's were better but i lost it all, so the quick paint scetch will have to do for now.

I like that engine Larry. My head gets a bit twisted on some reflection and reignition issues, but i like it. thanx
And discussing an engine design is by no means getting of the thread Mark, thats what i wanted to get started.

Rossco
Attachments
Twin.jpg
Not to scale
Or proportion for that matter!
Twin.jpg (7.92 KiB) Viewed 19187 times

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:27 pm

Larry,

I honestly only just saw and downloaded your other engine! after i made the last post. now that engine i like even better. BUT amazingly similar to mine!!!!!! (or vice versa as the case may be)

How for have you got with that engine? Have you had it running?

I wish i'd got my post in there before yours!

Rossco

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:44 pm

Rossco wrote:Larry,

I honestly only just saw and downloaded your other engine! after i made the last post. now that engine i like even better. BUT amazingly similar to mine!!!!!! (or vice versa as the case may be)

How for have you got with that engine? Have you had it running?

I wish i'd got my post in there before yours!

Rossco
Rossco -

Well, I don't know about you, but I can think a whole lot faster than I can draw, and I can draw a whole lot faster than I can build! So, if I built everything I ever drew up and posted on the old forums, I'd have given up my day job long before now to get it all done.

No, this one has never been built, so naturally, I have a wonderfully ignorant opinion on how to make yours better ;-) You could try this as a 'temporary fix' to see if it would help: Extend the sheet steel web that separates the two 'tailpipes' right out to the end of the pipe, or a little beyond, then try again to fire it. That way, you're not trying to get 'synchronization' at BOTH the front and rear of the engine at the same time [which would require EXACT tuning of lengths and volumes to achieve!]. I'll bet you that one change would let it work [of course, I've only had a quick look at your design, but you're right, it's the same basic principle as mine].

In my opinion, it is futile to try to make an engine with out-of-phase synchronization AT BOTH ENDS, because the running temperature varies so much during a run that you can never get any one length that will always be right. [This happens not from the expansion and contraction of the steel, but rather from the rapidly increasing exhaust stream temperature, which increases significantly as the steel gets hotter.]

Note in my design that I intentionally keep the two exhaust streams fully isolated, right out to the end. That is supposed to put the front end of the engine firmly in control of the phase relationship as the gas condition changes over time. The length of the nose channel would ideally be set up to properly 'phase' the two sides at the highest expected running temperature, and hopefully be 'just good enough' at startup time, when the gas is thicker and slower. Even this channel length will require a good deal of experimentation to really get it right, and probably will not be as short and compact as we might like, since the gas velocity in the channel will be on the same order as the velocity down the tailpipe.

L Cottrill