Interested ?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Ghrey
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Interested ?

Post by Ghrey » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:39 am

Hey Cheat...

See my Thread The Maw you may find some .... ...... Hmmm .... . . well something?!?!?

It started as an off shoot of a toroidal CC design that was supposed to self ram a different way than you propose, weight and thermal issues have all but scuttled that effort.

Oh ok here is a link... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4917
In the process of moving, from the glorified phone booth we had to the house we have.

No real time to work on jets, more space, no time.

Life still complicated.

thecheat
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by thecheat » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:45 pm

oh... :oops: I knew somehow that I wasn't the first to come up with it. if you could draw it out (I don't care if you use a napkin, then take a picture and upload) a bit larger, say, a "scale" model (that would fit on a piece of paper ;) ) I'd love to see it... No offense, but I really didn't understand what you were getting at in your maw thread.

The reason I keep thinking my method would work, is because it wouldn't be much heavier then a standard lockwood. Yeah the CC would be a pain to build, but everything else not by much. Thermal shouldn't be a problem, because since there's the venturi it's pulling cool air to keep everything from running amok. I could try turning it into a ramjet, but it would have the same thermal issues.

I'll probably start building mine after I find some good lockwood plans (that fit the 1.5L requirement, and if anyone has some ideas of where to find them, that would be great!) and some mild steel sheet. I could use that SS I have, but I'd prefer to save that... (not to mention it's a pain in the butt to bend)
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!

Ghrey

Post by Ghrey » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:23 am

The gist of the maw is that the entire engine is designed like your CC. The inside wall has all of the contour ( and intake pipes x 6 FWE style ) wile the outside is a basic tube, except for a slight taper at the tail. The body of the engine acts as it's own augmenter.

No offense taken, the posted drawings suck. I am slowly reworking the Originals and will post when I have finished. It is a slow go. Currently it is looking like the CC alone for the prototype will be 2.4L
in volume. I doubt that this is even original on my part, but I do not have any references for previous work.
In the process of moving, from the glorified phone booth we had to the house we have.

Life still complicated.

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:37 pm

ah, ok, that makes a bit more sense now. :) I'm still wondering where I'm going to get some sheet metal to try mine, we'll have to see if either one works better! :D

Vermin

Post by Vermin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:24 pm

Another thought.....smaller but with same intake concept, straight in and straight out (4 intakes may be an option there is room), and only 818cc in current form.

So I was curious when is the end date (if there is one) for this?
V
Attachments
Challenger.pdf
(59.16 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
Vern
A desire to destroy as many man made hydrocarbon compounds as possible in one lifetime.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:27 pm

Let's make it the end of the year(?)
All entries should include what's on the entry table, like weather at time of test (temp, barometric pressure, elevation), max thrust, min thrust while still pulsating, volume of motor, etc.
Then I'll compile it all.
Time is creeping up on me. I do not have M.'s final geometry, and I will be scaling back how complicated my entry will be. I may just submit my Pocket Jet 2 (.5L) and 3 (.6L), and not make one that is 1.5L. Business is too brisk to have much fun right now, but I will compile all entries that get done before Jan 1.
Happy pulsejetting, guys, this is all good stuff!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Ghrey

Post by Ghrey » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:06 am

I may not make the end of the year with anything that makes noise. I have made several parts, but I have so little time...

I can only hope that this becomes an annual event.

Best to all.

Life still complicated.

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:58 pm

I can't seem to stop thinking up new ideas... my latest (if the theory works) may not even be considered a pulse jet... I'm designing one that doesn't use the vacuum cycle to re-ignite the fuel mixture... :D

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:52 am

What is the defination of, CC volume 250mls? Does 250 include the cone or is it strictly the length of the CC tip to tip? As you probably all know the cone can be part of the CC. What will keep one person from making a very long tapers cone to enlarge the total CC for their design if the cone is not specified as part of the CC or a specific length or volume. And what about the end of the CC will it be flat or dome shape. A dome will add more volume to the CC.

It seem to me a more logical contest would limit the cross sectional area or diameter of the exhaust pipe and have no other rules. Lets suppose the exhaust pipe is limited to 2" diameter and specify it must me made from standard exhaust pipe available at any muffler shop. This will allow the builder the freedom to use any design he likes, any CC he likes, any cone volume or shape he likes, any fuel he likes, any exhaust tube length he likes, any air intake he likes, in an attempt to get the most power he possibly can out of the exhaust tube. This makes the contest more of a challange and it requires every builder to use their brain and do some research before they build.

First of all I would read about mass flow of fuels and pick a fuel or fuel mixture with the maximum mass flow as possible. Then I would try to burn as much fuel and air as possible in the engine. Take it from there.

If your really wanting to see which builder can produce the most thust from their design don't put too many limitations on this your not allowing people the freedom to use their brain and be creative.

It might be a good idea just for safety to have 1 more rule and require everyone to use the same fuel.