New I.A.E: the Talon Dreadnought

Moderator: Mike Everman

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by metiz » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:06 am

Thanks guys :)

I laid the engine on the ground and hammered some triangle post holders behind it and 2 more on either side of the tail. Man it realy pushed. Actually burned a fuel line (sorry James, lol) but it was not at the place my fuel lines joined together, I had shielded those with some aluminium foil. I somehow failed to notice that a rubber fuel line was laying in fron of one of the intakes. Had I run the engine for 5 seconds longer, it would have burned through giving a huge fireball since it was the liquid line. Whoopsie.
Quantify the world.

metiz

dreadnought video

Post by metiz » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:52 pm

I tested the Dreadnought again and this time I recorded it. The engine is not optimal by far, the intakes need to be a bit bigger becuase of the massive 2 foot flames from them, the injectors need to be smaller becuase I could not get the engine to flame out even with 2 tanks on full tap. The tail also needs to be added for some aditional stability and power gain.

the engine DID eventually flame-out but not exactly as you'd expect. The front dome and a piece of the rectifier ripped open at the seem, ending the run and giving massive flames. going to need to fix that :P

from approx 2:10, the vid keeps hanging at 1 frame becuase of a capturing glitch. just skip that. Speaking of wich, can anyone recomend a good video editing tool (read: free) that can cut, split, resize etc? instead of junk freeware who have a 1 sec limit, watermark the size of a plate, limited functionality to the point where the software is completly useless etc. or as I like to call it: Junkware.

vid:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dtoe0aohmxw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GMCt98olEPU
Quantify the world.

GRIM
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by GRIM » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:40 pm

Hey Metiz

Great stuff, I bet that was scary , thanks for sharing
The you tube vid plays much better than the other one

I see your still doing sparklers , pm me if you need help with a spark deal,

Here is a link to a Free video editing software

http://www.debugmode.com/wax/

This is what i am currently using , i cant say i like it that much , but its free , no watermarks and no expiry date so I guess you cant complain

If anyone else has a better free software please post

Peace

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:05 am

I just use Windows Movie Maker. It imports any format but the cell phone ones, and you can specify the output file size to <2mb even on 40mb avi's, and that way you can save entire starting attempts with reasonable clarity.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

metiz

Post by metiz » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:24 am

Mike Everman wrote:I just use Windows Movie Maker. It imports any format but the cell phone ones, and you can specify the output file size to <2mb even on 40mb avi's, and that way you can save entire starting attempts with reasonable clarity.
so you're right :)
Attachments
Film.wmv
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 2329 times
Quantify the world.

Jim Berquist

Dread not!

Post by Jim Berquist » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:04 am

What a hoot! I thought you was going to start a rang fire. Man that's a hungry beast! Yep, Feed the beast! Time to think about Gasoline or diesel. To large to play with propane. Heat it with propane and the transfer to Diesel.

:twisted: 8)
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:21 am

Neeto!

Boy that's some long intakes.
And it doesn't take long to fail those big flat drum heads at the seam! Dish it just the slightest bit to help with that.

metiz

hmmm upgrades...

Post by metiz » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:23 pm

Hokay I repared the dreadnought and redid some parts. the intakes are now a bit shorter and a lot fatter. the tailpipe has been fitted on and the front dome has been reinforced enough to hold the weight of a small car.

strapped one injector on there and tried to get it to hum on gas. It worked but it took A LOT more air to get 'er going. Did manage to get it to "accidentally" lock in for a sec and my ears are still bleeding :)

hopefully I'll be able to test it this weekend.
Attachments
PHTO0062.JPG
(82.94 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
PHTO0063.JPG
PHTO0063.JPG (90.56 KiB) Viewed 10671 times
PHTO0066.JPG
PHTO0066.JPG (89.45 KiB) Viewed 10669 times
Quantify the world.

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:09 pm

Massive!

I've got my ears crossed for you!
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:13 pm

Get the petrol blower from your neighbour too, might make things a tad easier ;) and you may need be willing to take a saw to try different injectors.

This time, try as you did to get it running on 1 injector, and have the liquid lines as a separate entity all together (You dont want to have to fill the second line with liquid gas as well as your 10mm lines. Just take your vice along to hold the "Starting injector" and mount the other one as before.
Goodluck,
and cover your ears, and wear lead underpants.

metiz

Post by metiz » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:14 am

LOL

I was actually thinking, since the fuel lines don't fill up right away, I just start on "liquid" (flipped tank) and when it's running, flip the 2nd tank to fill the lines, swith it off again and throttle the lot on tank nr 1.

......may need to write that down before I move out:P
Quantify the world.

Jutte

Post by Jutte » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:09 am

Now THAT is BIG!!!

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:12 am

Ooka! Ooka! you pound chest!!

metiz

dreadnought test facing other way, earth rotation decreased

Post by metiz » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:56 am

well I tested the dreadnought again. this time with bigger intakes, added tailpipe and with my new crosjectors©. Injectors are 100% in the intakes and it took very little effort to get it going.I got it to much higher throttle this time around and the engine realy jumped. anyway, here's a vid.

Also I'd like to take this oppurtunity to thank the man who made this all possible - James! where are you man, stand up! *speach! speach!* "James James he's our man if he can't do it I sure can WHOEHOE!!! JAÁÁÁMES!"

:D

*edit* youtubed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAPnOzhc4js
Attachments
dreadnought a2.wmv
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 2094 times
Last edited by metiz on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quantify the world.

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:52 pm

Dear God what have I done... I think it broke his brain....

Good stuff man, very loud, seemed quite stable. I still *think* i can hear those lines spurting a bit, but you must have been bone dry in that tank to get only 20 to 30 seconds out of it. I'd love to see it on a filled up brand new tank! I'm sure that would make things a whole lot wilder. Since you know you can start it on liquid, why not have the second tank upside down ready to go, just in case n all ;) I still think using 3 x 10mm lines your getting a big pressure drop and would actually see a huge improvement by going to 3/16 or 1/4 inch lines to keep up your critical pressure.

I love it, its "Bad ass", and sure does shake the earth. Lets see if we can't flame it out at some stupidly high throttle eh!