New I.A.E: the Talon Dreadnought

Moderator: Mike Everman

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by metiz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:04 am

come to think of it, the first run was probably a bit better since the leak was not as big then. great timing to forget to press record :S
Quantify the world.

metiz

Dreadnought V1.02, video, implosion

Post by metiz » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Here's a new dreadnough video. There have been some changes since last time. After some inspection on the reflector on the t100, I found a tear. this was not a weld that had buckled but just a tear in normal steel, caused by massive pressure waves bouncing against it back into the cc. After some discussion with James, we decided to replace the not very well tuned divergant/ reflector aray with a straight pipe and test it again with the prommise of a massive thrust increase. This meant I had to get some new steel. unfortunately, I could only find .7 mm. "Should be fine" I ponderd and started construction. The first test was a failure. the lack of pressure waves comming back into the cc meant I had much more trouble starting it. For the second attempt, James adviced to put a wet rag on a stick into one of the intakes to provide the extra pressure needed for starting. This worked fine as the video shows. One small thing though. I REALY should not have used .7 mm:P The entire rectifier buckled, warped and ripped under the pressure! but before it did so, it put out massive amounts of power, much more then it did before so the change ws a succes!. just need to remember to use 1mm stainless next time :wink:

Vid and pictures below. Pictures unfortunately do not show the full massacre. Youtube to follow.
Attachments
Film_0001.wmv
(998.8 KiB) Downloaded 1413 times
3.JPG
2.JPG
1.JPG
Quantify the world.

Irvine.J
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: New I.A.E: the Talon Dreadnought

Post by Irvine.J » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:47 am

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:54 pm

I"m surprised no one else has commented on this yet, cmon guys this is a great film!
Give him some damn kudos!!! Its not every day we see someone crush an engine!!!

Metiz, I have no doubt you increased the power of that sucker a massive deal getting rid of the section as we tuned it so badly, and, I now thing your tailpipe diameter could be even bigger :D Just seemed to get a little too hot a little too fast for my liking!

POWER ON! Get that T4 ramjet conversion going and the Promethius engine going too!!! Woot!
I watch this video like 3 times a day still, love it!
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:10 pm

It is a cool vid! Never seen a engine fail before. And it did sound like it had quite a bit more balls! :twisted:
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

GRIM

Post by GRIM » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:50 pm

Irvine.J wrote:I"m surprised no one else has commented on this yet, cmon guys this is a great film!
Give him some damn kudos!!! Its not every day we see someone crush an engine!!!

Fair comment James, It is a great film,
It takes a lot of effort to haul all that stuff out into the wilderness so as to even run the engine, not to mention the not insignificant cost of gas etc, and the minor detail of building a monster like that ,
Well done Metiz , thanks for sharing and keep em coming.

metiz

Post by metiz » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:02 pm

Thanks guys! The steel used was actually .5 mm. ironic isn't it? been looking for steel that thin for ages and now I use it one the dreadnought, who rips it to shreds as a thank you!
Quantify the world.

Jutte

Post by Jutte » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:25 pm

Actually I thought it was quite cool.
Also good value for showing what happenend next.
First time I have seen a pulse jet tear itself a new one...LOL!!!
At least out in the open you can't toast your garage work bench!!!
Keep it up metiz.
Also few questions ...
Have you noticed any difference in how the fuel mixes in a really big CC ?
How long before the Propane freezes up?
Apart from the truly outrageous noise - have you noticed any really big increase in vibration?
Thanks Metiz - I have been thinking about my next really truely foolish Pulse Jet project !...LOL!

metiz

Post by metiz » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:11 am

Have you noticed any difference in how the fuel mixes in a really big CC ?
How long before the Propane freezes up?
Apart from the truly outrageous noise - have you noticed any really big increase in vibration?
Thanks Metiz - I have been thinking about my next really truely foolish Pulse Jet project !...LOL!
1 yeah, it's shit :) this probably has something to do with my fuel line positions also but the thermojet is inherently unefficient and it is no different in this engine - watch the red flame exiting the tailpipe

2 no propane freez-ups as of yet. won't see it happen anytime soon either

3 vibrations are abit bit worse then before, but not by a whole lot. It's the sheer power increase that realy stands out :D

4 Don't keep us waiting to long! rofl
Quantify the world.

Chadly33

Post by Chadly33 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:03 am

I do love a big engine! :twisted: These big engines really dont like thin steel, as you have found out!lol I have already had to reweld the intake and exhaust at the CC twice on mine and it is 1.2mm! Great work anyway and hope you sort it out soon, it does sound like it can roar a lot more than that yet! You have to attatch it to something that moves! :twisted:
Bribie Islands resident mad scientist!http://www.geocities.com/ozpulse@y7mail ... 5835711956

metiz

Post by metiz » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:59 am

Quantify the world.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:46 am

Well, I'll tell you what: I am duly impressed!

But yes, 0.5 mm material in the middle of an engine this size would be pretty much doomed to fail.

Note that no less than Dr Robert Goddard experienced several spectacular failures while flight testing rocket engines in New Mexico (mid-1930s), with engine materials far heavier -- and he was a full professor as well as an engineer. The engines were professionally welded sheet nickel. So, you're in good company.

Great work! Man, THAT is an engine -- it'll be fabulous when all the kinks are worked out.

L Cottrill

kevin lee

Post by kevin lee » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:53 am

Very sorry that I dug this up from 08 but I think its fantastically amazing :o

Perfect tone for me, i aim to build a beast like this by this time next year!

Is there plans available for it?

In pm you said that I should use hors recipe too build my own large pj design, Iam also very intrigued by joes krakor so maybe ill build a huge pj in that style eventually