Mike's Build Log

Moderator: Mike Everman

Vermin
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Vermin » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:59 am

Nice Nice Nice...love the squeek....Mike will (did) this unit run in a linier configuration using the dimensions in the first spec post?

From what I understand linier and radius tpe units have different geometry specs.

I would like to build a linier one with a little twist. Great work thanks for the inspiration.
V
Vern
A desire to destroy as many man made hydrocarbon compounds as possible in one lifetime.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:13 pm

By linear you mean without the U-bend? Yeah, it'd be the same. and yes, I believe placement of the U needs considering, but only when it is under the radius that would promote separation.

I'll post this motor as a rear facing intake soon.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Vermin

Post by Vermin » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:34 pm

Thanks will give it a try soonest.
V
Vern
A desire to destroy as many man made hydrocarbon compounds as possible in one lifetime.

Mike Everman

Pockey Chineezy style

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:27 pm

Ok, so here is the rear facing intake for this motor, which should be acoustically equivalent, plus or minus a furlong per fortnight.
Not shown are 1.25d flares at both intake and exhaust, see pic at beginning of thread.

Vern,
If you're going at this motor, could you consider the rear facing intake version if that fits into your plans? I want to focus on the scale up right now, but really want to prove out the folding logic of it too. do you have the 1" od x .035 wall tube?

I'm going to add the rear facing and plug the front intake, then of course try pulling the plug when it's running! This is in fact a tricky way to get two intakes at equivalent acoustic stations. More on that later!
Attachments
pockey lockey 2 with and without fold, basic motor dims.jpg
(39.08 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
pockey lockey 2 with and without fold, alternate intake dims.jpg
(45.71 KiB) Downloaded 203 times

Mark

Pockey Chineezy style

Post by Mark » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:47 pm

I like that idea of twin intakes! One of those high bypass engine approaches, or at least a hint of it in that direction. This would be great for forward speed if it works out or perfected. Looks like fun.
Presentation is Everything

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:11 pm

yeah, I want to do some ram air in the front one, but it may need to be shorter and smaller diameter then. We'll see. I may put a butterfly valve on that intake so I can bring it into play slowly.
James just did a thermojet that wouldn't start on it's four intakes, until one was plugged, then the plug could be removed.

Fun stuff!

multispool

Post by multispool » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:54 pm

Hi Mike,
I hope you don't mind, I did a quick render of the two shapes. I have to say, Linear's hold a fascination with me. They just look so right...

Wouldn't even like to think of attempting to model the flows in that twin inlet one though!
Attachments
linear_1.jpg
linear_1.jpg (12.09 KiB) Viewed 12889 times
linear_2.jpg
linear_2.jpg (14.23 KiB) Viewed 12889 times
linear_3.jpg
linear_3.jpg (13.91 KiB) Viewed 12889 times

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:02 am

Hey, cool. Nice work. I've got it all in SWorks, but haven't slowed down enough to make pretty pics. That looks good.
I just wanted to get the rear facing intake detailed in case Vern was going to haul off and make something before I get to it!

I'm still flabbergasted about the 3.3 lb. I've got to run it again, maybe tonight to verify a third time that it's what I'm really getting. At that level, it's usable for what I want to do without going to the expansive tail.

Vermin

Dam

Post by Vermin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:15 am

Well thanks Mike for my first linear (spelling corrected) intake unit that has run.......and I do have some plans ....."squeeky slim unit" so far ...I have contemplated the rear facing intakes and the angles are steep but...they can be fabricated......it should be a cracker...although it has some simalarities to the linear FWE (in current form) its frequency is higher and starting is better...(with my experiance). PL is a preliminary drawing and subject to change...(the extraction section is, and was just a draft and may not be nessisary a 2 deg 1/2 angle may surfice..and just conceptual...the drawing has both intake configurations attached....(either should work) . Mike I constructed the intake smaller on my unit to increase the velocity / mixing........comments...SVP
V
Attachments
Squeeky1.4.MPG
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 525 times
PL.pdf
(52.82 KiB) Downloaded 675 times
Squeeky1.4.MPG
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 482 times
Squeeky Rear.MPG
(866.77 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
Vern

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:13 am

do the 1" intake. you'll dig it.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:16 am

I'd expect you are getting about a pound with that skinny intake, so my comment would be: why go for a notion of high velocity/mixing? didn't you want a 3 lb squeeler? ;-)

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:54 am

Attachments
muz.JPG
muz.JPG (39.41 KiB) Viewed 12834 times
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

Vermin

Post by Vermin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:29 am

Yup that is next, I will pu some more 1" emt today and possibly have a chance on Sunday eve to modify.
V
Vern

Vermin

Post by Vermin » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:15 am

Hey folks No luck so far with the 1" intduction....must be me ...still working on it......and James nice dog is it yours....the tattoo is ugly though....LOL
V

ps twins are looming
V
Vern

Irvine.J

Post by Irvine.J » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:41 am

No unfortunately its not my dog, its some hard core attack knaw your face off type apparently, can't remember where its from, but apparently there was a law passed saying these dogs in police use need to be muzzled cause they bite people...well... duh! ROFL I wouldn't run if the cop had one... theres a difference to being caught alive, and being caught alive after a dog has had its way with you.

I guess the tatoo takes the focus of its big ass shiney teeth.
Still I love muz. His purpose is to keep me quiet and maintain the status quo, otherwise he'll just eat all the status and leave nothing but the quo...LOL.

As for your intake, hate to say it but must be, Mike has done alot of work on that engine, I think out of respect of his pocky-locky you should not change the name of it cause you change the intake. Anyway, that intake is expertly tuned to give that engine max power, play with your fuel line a bit, watch Mikes video. Mike would have to be the last person I would question on engine design. Perhaps post a photo of your build and use paint to simply draw some lines where your fuel injector n stuff are going, I'm sure mike will comment on that.
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]