Mike's Build Log

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Mike's Build Log

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:56 pm

So, this one is 57mm ID, 110 length, with a 9mm hole. Reynst had a movable bottom on his ultimate device, so starting was at a longer/higher volume state, and moved to shorter.

I'm printing one with an 8mm hole to try tonight. Then maybe the midnight design effort will be a water jacket.

I'm really starting to wonder if I can print a mold this way to put some alumina slip in and fire it, or paint one like this with multiple coats of glaze inside and out and fire that. The issue with the slip casting is that the slip shrinks massively when it dries, so the mind reels how to deal with that.

Something interesting is going to pop out of this effort, I can feel it.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:27 pm

I wonder if an internal flow rectifier is more needed in larger designs, where the inflow has a longer distance to travel or how that scales up. I can see how critical the placement of the rectifier could be or how wide or long, little tweaks making a huge difference. My beer keg wouldn't let me put much length at all (6 inch limit) on the snorkel before it wouldn't sustain and so I wondered if an internal flow rectifier would have helped somehow. I would have liked to have had a larger hole to work with for the 11 inch diameter keg. download/file.php?id=14614&mode=view

If you had a kiln, some aluminum build designs could be something to consider.

I find the more experiments you do or can come up with in a day, the greater the rewards and the more fun it becomes. It's like you say, you can sense the possibilities, a kind of indefinite emotion. Just trying simple tests you learn a lot and often things occur to you out of the blue because of this. The mind can't keep every possibility up in the air and by having shapes at hand, the pieces start to have more uses. Maybe a large chalkboard would help. ha
Presentation is Everything

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:47 pm

Not sure I'd call it a rectifier as much as a vortexifier. ha
Also thinking about your SiO2 crucible one, where the hole is just longer than it is in diameter. Now that, and like snorkels in general, are rectifiers. That's the next test, adding a smidge of length there. Maybe get rid of the flare on the inside, and maybe go flat-lid instead of that Reynstie cone.
Just keep hitting "print".

Maybe you shouldn't get a printer. What would Bed Bath and Beyond do without you? ha
Though I could coach you in solid modeling in Onshape.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:57 am

Just ran the rapid proto pot to slagginess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYlEjTYcJ2Y

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:38 pm

That looks like fun. Kind of a lemon sag effect towards the end. I wonder if there's a way to make PLA or something like it burn and then the jet could be partially consumable in the same way a paraffin candle consumes itself? I've some bricks of paraffin used for canning and always thought it would be interesting to run a jam jar on candle wax for something different. Maybe layer the wax along the walls of the jet and then pour in some molten hot wax into the jar and light and get some ablative burning.
Some fun with these Reynst creations is making or thinking about little crafts that are powered by the pulsating combustion like your spinning propellers or levitating ping pong balls, some sort of kinetic art. I've even looked at some miniature train track for example, imagining a toy choo choo train with a twist.

PLA Burning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chGV7ddnAl8

For review
He's putting the test tube in water whereupon the tube cracks and the erupting steam carries the vapor up and since the wax is hot enough, all it needs is air to light.
Autoignition of boiling paraffin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgcBeQTpApc

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:12 pm

I wonder if a little water bath just on the lower half would make it go a long time. I mean, we know it does, but I'm not seeing any material movement up top where you'd think it would melt. Just the super heating at the bottom of the flamy pyramid, where it touches the walls.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:20 am

Yea, a bath wouldn't hurt, or maybe you could print one to accept an aluminum can sleeve or liner too. I once thought about using a balloon surrounded by water for a jam jar. I'm pretty crazy though. I was thinking it would be a good one for the "Will It Jam?" series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeDZQ9-gsjY#t=1m1s

If you open these in a new tab, they come out a normal size. Maybe I forgot to reduce them ...
download/file.php?id=12663&mode=view
download/file.php?id=12661&mode=view
download/file.php?id=12673&mode=view

Happened to see this snorkeler wannabe when fishing up the above photos. I think an elephant using its snorkel to propel something would be neat if I had a art student who was good at metalworking. Have a snorkeler concealed in the body of course. ha
download/file.php?id=12783&mode=view

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:01 pm

Omg, the balloon jacket idea is brilliant, but I don't know how yet. Going to let the hind brain chew on that today. Seems a neat way to get variable volume, if we can stand all that roundness.

I printed another with an 8mm hole (previous 9) and it won't jam. Drilled it out in steps up to .375", still no joy. Hmm. Very energetic shwoop on all tries, though. Actually more of a startling foo-shwippppp. I'll go one bigger before work and print up another of the golden one.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:15 pm

I was thinking about variable volume yesterday too. I was playing with a plastic bellows and methanol and also thought about my metal bellows and the latex idea of a flexible bottom in order to better the breathing of my snorkelers. Maybe some long narrow balloons would be funny to see run jam jar style, it was a poor choice my random round balloon selection. Usually pulsating combustion likes stiff walls so a jelly-walled balloon could prove challenging but maybe a small one or very large balloon would overcome that hurdle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiQRYrC1rWY#t=55s
http://www.ehow.com/how_6003880_blow-up ... loons.html

tufty

Post by tufty » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Oh, lordy. Just popped in to see if the tumbleweeds were still around and - whoah!

There goes my productivity...

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Ha! Hi Simon. just trying to break new ground and got caught up in it!

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:30 am

A look inside the melted PLA Pulser.
Who knows when the Vortexifier inside slagged. It did get progressively more stable until the walls got soft. This great running one has a 9mm hole. The next one I tried started at 8mm, and I then opened it up 1/64" at a time and never got a good run. Hmmm. Either I hit it in one on the first try, or it's an imperceptible change in the weather again.
File Aug 16, 10 07 28 PM small.jpg

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:38 am

Hi Mike,

Just a thought but the fuel you are using is ethanol? - very hydroscopic- Dave, a mate of mine, who is well into his chemistry, can process/refine it to remove almost all the water - I can ask him what it is he does to do this ( I recall he added something to the fuel and it solidifies at the bottom of the flask).
Just wondering what effect this might have on run times/performance.

If you have time when you next get over here we could go up to his Bronze foundry.

Cheers

Nick

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by metiz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:55 am

Nick wrote:Hi Mike,

Just a thought but the fuel you are using is ethanol? - very hydroscopic- Dave, a mate of mine, who is well into his chemistry, can process/refine it to remove almost all the water - I can ask him what it is he does to do this ( I recall he added something to the fuel and it solidifies at the bottom of the flask).
Just wondering what effect this might have on run times/performance.

If you have time when you next get over here we could go up to his Bronze foundry.

Cheers

Nick
I think you can use Molecular sieves for that
Quantify the world.

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi Metiz,

it was a powder(chemical) he added to the ethanol - I'll see if I can find out what it was :)