liquid propane from torch bottles?

Moderator: Mike Everman

NickC
Antipspambot question: 0

liquid propane from torch bottles?

Post by NickC » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:31 pm

Can you turn one of the blue bernzomatic bottles upside down and get liquid propane from it? Where can I get fittings for these types of bottles? What about adjustable pressure regulators?

Vermin

Post by Vermin » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:14 am

Hello Nick
Yes in the inverted position you will obtain LPG but the pressure will be consistant with the ambiant temprature, you will have to regulate "volume" through a valve and then through an evaporator of some type, usualy using the residule thermals from the combustion process. Hope this helps...maybe some more info on the use would help.
Vern
Vern
A desire to destroy as many man made hydrocarbon compounds as possible in one lifetime.

NickC

Post by NickC » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:48 am

actually pressure can vary significantly regardless of ambient temperature. Check yo gas laws B. I'd also like to be able to keep a consistent pressure, preferably regulated to 60psi since propane will generally stay between 60-90psi. Although I have long since transcended the use of propane for anything more than starting fuel :D , I was actually looking at using propane for a piston engine application and figured people on here would know the answer to my question. I actually have a kind of interesting idea for using nitrous in engines without fuel pumps (generally small engines). Propane, having an octane of around 104-110 would be pretty detonation resistant in a piston engine and wouldn't require a fuel pump to be injected. It'd basically be a nitrous wet shot system using propane instead of gasoline.

heada

Post by heada » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:04 am

Nitrous is a wonderful oxidizer but be careful of flashback (can happen, has happened in rocketry) as well as decomposition (decomposes at 450°F into (2) N2 + O2) If nitrous starts to decompose on you, you will have "a very bad day"™

-Aaron­

Vermin

Post by Vermin » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:04 pm

Hi Nick
I thought you were talking about liquid here
pressure can vary significantly regardless of ambient temperature. Check yo gas laws B
Good luck with the nO system.
Vern
Vern
A desire to destroy as many man made hydrocarbon compounds as possible in one lifetime.