liquid fueling without fuel pump?

Moderator: Mike Everman

NickC
Antipspambot question: 0

liquid fueling without fuel pump?

Post by NickC » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:18 pm

Are there any good methods of being able to throttle and liquid fuel a valveless? like a setup that would work on an a plane

heada

throttle

Post by heada » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:12 pm

You can then use a ball-type valve that is connected to a servo. The servo and controller can be obtained from most R/C locations. Something else you would want to add to the fuel line would be a solenoid as a main fuel cut-off because most of the servos have a slow response time when it comes to the amount of effort required to turn a ball valve off. Some solenoids are vulnerable to open/close during high g loads so you'll have to either put it in a position to fail closed or get one that is rated for the kind of g loads you'd see in flight.

-Aaron

Jim Berquist

liquide fuel.

Post by Jim Berquist » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:37 pm

I used a needle valve hand controlled . This sounds like a idea!

". a throttleable fuel needle valve with an extended valve stem for frost and ice protection and a special thread in the valve bonnet, said valve stem permitting maximum power to be obtained with a 90 degree turn of the valve lever, an O-ring located on the said valve stem preventing fuel leakage between said threads of said valve bonnet and said valve stem, "

http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Par ... PN/5189875

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

NickC

Post by NickC » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:56 pm

what would you use for the "carburetion" aspect of the fuel system?

Jim Berquist

liquide fuel.

Post by Jim Berquist » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:22 pm

Injector in to the intake.

Jim.
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Irvine.J

Fueling ...

Post by Irvine.J » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:57 pm

http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4389
A little thing i'm working on and updating over time. A pump solves 101 problems associated with flight carburetion, check it out.
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

larry cottrill

Re: Fueling ...

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:29 pm

Irvine.J wrote:http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4389
A little thing i'm working on and updating over time. A pump solves 101 problems associated with flight carburetion, check it out.
It also weighs something. That's OK on big, fast models where your wing loading and power loading are large anyway. On very small models it can border on the impractical. I grant you that with modern lightweight materials (especially in terms of battery construction), this problem might be far less important than it was even a few years ago.

In designing an aircraft, it is very easy to underestimate the weight and space penalties of 'ancillary equipment', which in this case I'm using loosely to include such things as pumps and batteries. There are some cases where simple carburetion is a nearly ideal solution. As in all such discussions, it depends a lot on understanding exactly what it is you're trying to do with your vehicle. Speed, endurance, aerobatics - each application might best be served by a different approach to fueling, in my opinion.

If you wanted, today you could probably make a model airplane with totally hydraulic-assisted control surfaces. But, why would you?

L Cottrill

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:49 pm

SCH 80 cpvc pipe with a "light" coat of polyuerethane will hold butane under pressure. Butane can be bought almost anywhere as a recharger for lighters, sold in an aerosol canister. Glue in the valve assembly from an old lighter and you are set! The stuff isnt as nice as propane, my only concern is that it wont have enough fuel pressure to light up a PJ of sorts.....

One day I will try to do propane, maybe carbon fiber reinforced sch40 tank will hold.
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:39 am

Larry, the pumps James has, are the size of an AA battery! I just cant see how any carburating setup could be lighter than that.

That being said, we are still trying for some carburation and vaporisation methods as options. (the pumps are rather exy)

Rossco
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]