Irvine.J
Antipspambot question: 0

HPX Goes MASSIVE

Post by Irvine.J » Wed May 30, 2007 7:14 am

30Lbs
1 Meter Long
All at the tip of your finger!

Now where did I put that go-cart...

It weighs about 1 to 1.5 kg but i can't find my scales to be sure. Made in 0.5mm stainless, can't wait to fire her up, man, what a monster.

This thing could power everything from a UAV through to a crazy mans bicycle. Though its a theoretical 30lb, I'm not sure till i can test it fully, though it will be damn close.

I have to think of where I can test this because I can't bolt it to anything in my garage without the risk of the house falling down.

I didn't bother getting out of my work clothes to take that photo :D

This will be added to my website (below) shortly and is available for purchase for anyone crazy enough to put it on something like a go-kart, bike, boat, ultralight, whatever.
Attachments
2.JPG
2.JPG (48.96 KiB) Viewed 17271 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (64.14 KiB) Viewed 17274 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (59.99 KiB) Viewed 17273 times
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Wed May 30, 2007 9:42 am

NICE WORK!!!!
That was quick, i thought you were only thinking of building the big sucker! All done before i knew it.

Ill be in touch, we'll organise somewhere to go test er out, cant wait!

Rossco
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

tufty

Post by tufty » Wed May 30, 2007 9:46 am

Oooooh. Pretty. Very nice work.

Simon

larry cottrill

Nice Big One

Post by larry cottrill » Wed May 30, 2007 4:25 pm

Yes, James, that's another nice one.

Get us a movie ...

L Cottrill

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed May 30, 2007 5:32 pm

WOW! ENVEY! SHINNY! I like!

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by metiz » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:52 am

man that's the best looking jet I've ever seen! great work
Quantify the world.

Irvine.J

HPX Goes MASSIVE - Video

Post by Irvine.J » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:14 am

HPX-II D-30 WRITE UP - Video at bottom
Gentlemen, Rosco and I went out to the mud flats Nudgee Beach today Totting the 30lb HPX. Mounted on a 4x4 Steel drive up bracket thing, We pushed it into the mud in a place we didn't expect too many people to visit.

The shores were quiet, the water gently sloshing on the sand, dolphins swimming in the background (For Real!)

We mounted up our gas lines, and a makeshift spark box that was far from ideal, it came time to see if this beast was ever going to run...if my calculations were correct and if Rosco's steady hand and his famous rosscojector would prevail.

We first tried with the makeshift sparkbox...

The following is an account told from the HPX-II D-30's Perspective...

"BLurp...sput....blurp put put brbrbrb.....blurp..... BRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

It fired to life, echoing for MILES! It was the single damn loudest thing I ever heard! Full on at the gas tap and just below was the minimum to get it sustained at this point, we were so excited!

The first attempt at starting, drained the battery for our spark, so Rossco
pulls out his Rossco jector and gets cracking. After a short play, again, It fired up simply on his injector, amazing stuff. We do have problems with the transition but on our first day we found that the transition was easier when the blower was supplying some air. That didn't stop Rossco though,
after a short tweak on his Rosco jector, a short sharp whip of his genius little injector got the thing roaring to life. We just got to get that transition
down pat.

At this point a few locals came down and started asking questions.
I would like to say "Thank you to the merry folk of Nudgee Beach,
It was great to see your interest in our project, we enjoyed answering
your questions and look forward to seeing you all again in the near future,
thank you for your patience, we enjoyed your company a great deal. Next time make sure your bring some ear-muffs! hahah" (Though they may not look forward to our visit too soon Hahaha.) Thanks for your patience :D

Anyway, no word on thrust yet, it basically goes a touch higher then idle on a full gas tap. We will switch to liquid now, though on a video posted shortly we will show the force in the tailpipe with 2 injectors on vapor running...it was just beginning to start REALLY running, the tailpipe was expanding and contracting like crazy, it will need re-enforcing.

We also met a nice young man we hope have inspired to get into pulse jets while he is still at school. Thanks for the help "Tommo" i think your name was who nicely carried our engine back to the car, get in touch for some future runs!

Well I certainly enjoyed this write up, The locals were great, Rossco was amazing on his injector, my engine roared to life, and we saw some dolphins in the river right next to us, MAN WHAT A DAY!

What are you doing tomorrow rosco?!! LOL
FOR THE FIRST RUN I AM VERY VERY HAPPY!
We both thought for its size at the time it was running at a stupidly high frequency but haven't checked yet.
Video link below. This is barely over Idle at full gas tap. (vapour) When at full power, when the camera looks down the tailpipe, that will be nothing but INCANDESCENT BLUE, so even though its ABSOLUTELY DEAFENING, its got a LONG LONG way to go :D Enjoy.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/p42labs/Runfulltap.mp4
Chalk one up for Irvine Aeropulse and yet another for the Long Ranger and his RosscoJector!

Mark

HPX Goes MASSIVE - Video

Post by Mark » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:27 pm

Not bad. It certainly looks nice there on the beach all yellow/orange and hot.
Mark
Last edited by Mark on Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Presentation is Everything

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:50 pm

James, great work!!!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

larry cottrill

Nice New One

Post by larry cottrill » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:52 pm

Nice work, James! Unfortunately, I won't get to see it till I get back to work on Monday, where I have a high-speed line for streaming.

L Cottrill

Irvine.J

HPX Goes massive... IM BACK!!!! +Video

Post by Irvine.J » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:47 am

Ok, so it turns out my first taste with adventure landed me in 4.5meter swells in 40 knot winds in the middle of the ocean... I got so seasick that I went past worrying if I was going to die, to worrying I wasn't going to die.
Typical freaking global warming to send a 50 year storm my way when i'm supposed to be sailing through paradise...anyway...

I got home, very dissapointed, and the only thing that could cheer me up was running a big PJ. Now, the HPX-C-30 was running very poorly, due to 2 factors, one being the improperly proportioned reflector, and the second being the intake not scaled how I normally would. With a rosco jector we couldn't make the transition, and the engine basically sucked...
So, with angle grinder in hand I cut back the intake to the newly theorised induction length, and I decided to give it a go in my garage...
I must say the difference was instantly noticeable, I could start the engine and transition very easy, it flames out before reaching full gas tap, and throttles really well with quite a bit of power indeed. Nudis tells me a re-designed reflector will improve thrust up to the 30lb mark, so i'd suggest at this stage we are looking at a poorly tuned 20/25lbs. Still... she's loud, heres the video. Remarkable difference in performance simply with the induction pipe change, the fuel line needs to be much deeper though. Notice the breathing pattern from the intake flame, very interesting stuff. I'd love to run it longer, but the garage get to about 50*c in about 20 seconds.

Video Link
http://members.optusnet.com.au/p42labs/hpx-c-30.mp4

Frequency seems to me about 210/220 depending on where the camera was.

larry cottrill

Re: HPX Goes massive... IM BACK!!!! +Video

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:04 pm

Irvine.J wrote:Ok, so it turns out my first taste with adventure landed me in 4.5meter swells in 40 knot winds in the middle of the ocean... I got so seasick that I went past worrying if I was going to die, to worrying I wasn't going to die.
Sounds like a blast. Wish I could have been there ;-)
So, with angle grinder in hand I cut back the intake to the newly theorised induction length, and I decided to give it a go in my garage...
I must say the difference was instantly noticeable, I could start the engine and transition very easy, it flames out before reaching full gas tap, and throttles really well with quite a bit of power indeed. Nudis tells me a re-designed reflector will improve thrust up to the 30lb mark, so i'd suggest at this stage we are looking at a poorly tuned 20/25lbs. Still... she's loud, heres the video. Remarkable difference in performance simply with the induction pipe change ...
Yes, with pulsejets there's just nothing quite like getting the lengths right.
Very impressive stuff! In the intake flame you can actually see, at times, how the cold air gets drafted in and rearward. Wonderful!
Frequency seems to me about 210/220 depending on where the camera was.
Um ... depending on where the camera was? How can this be?

All in all, nice work, sir! I'm happy you survived your adventure in paradise.

L Cottrill

Irvine.J

HPX Goes Massive

Post by Irvine.J » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:22 pm

Thanks larry :D

In regards to the camera, its only recorded mono on a pretty poor microphone, and as I move around the engine it picks up all kinds of stupid frequencies from the noise bouncing around my garage, from 210/220 to 430, then an occasional 1200 and something. I think its quite close to 210 but that occurs when the camera is really close and less influenced by sound reflecting off the concrete walls. We'll have it outdoors tomorrow to be sure for you.
Best wishes,
James.

Dave_G

HPX

Post by Dave_G » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:53 pm

Nice work!

Do you have any plans to measure the thrust and fuel consumption?

If so, how will you do it?

Jim Berquist

HPX

Post by Jim Berquist » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:15 pm

Welcome Home James:

Cool how it Explodes into running. It don't sound to weak to me!

With swells like that, I would have been talking to Ralf and Earl every minute.

Larry: I'm on a dial up and it just takes a few minutes to download.

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]