70lber running on diesel fuel

Moderator: Mike Everman

adam
Antipspambot question: 0
Location: california is home town but currently in new mexico

70lber running on diesel fuel

Post by adam » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:41 pm

here is the tp 180 valveless pulse jet running at maybe75-85% full throttle if that!running on diesel fuel on a calm day with no wind, and it is being sprayed out of a 2 gallon bug sprayer that is pressurised by the pump.
Attachments
jet.wmv
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 5706 times

adam

Post by adam » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:53 pm

another run but actuall i think the jet was running about 70% or less full throttle because i can get this engine shaking and blowing dust down the road like crazy with the propane tank fueling it liquide propane, is it me or is the video i uploaded not makeing sound? and also i cant seem to watch this video in this topic unless i go to file list and then it will let me view this clip? hmmm!
Attachments
jet_0001.wmv
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 5678 times

adam

Post by adam » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:01 pm

here it is starting up with just a naked flame at the intake and blowing the flame into the engine with incoming air , it starts up instantly almost every time, doesnt need any other junk like a ignition coil, wires , and spark plug just propane and fire :twisted: .
Attachments
jet_00042.wmv
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 5680 times

toakreon

Post by toakreon » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:01 pm

I'm hearing the sound loud and clear ... so while there's obviously something odd happening the sound IS there ...

John

adam

Post by adam » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:05 pm

ok thanks i guess its just the computer im on

jmbarrio

Diesel running

Post by jmbarrio » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:11 pm

Hi Adam Congratulations! I have seen your pulse jet running on diesel.I guees you inyected it in the combustion chamber.I am building a thermal fogger machine with the pipewood design from Mike Everman (the one with plumbing parts, not welded), and a I test it inyecting diesel at 35 cm from the tail and it fogs a lot , very withe and dense fog.No I am trying to encrease the power of the engine because some of the diesel inyected it s being thrown out in litlle droplets.I will post soon a short video.keep on experimenting.
On this web site there are thermal fogger videos fogging, check them, and may be you want to try it on your engine.Bye.

http://www.dynafog.com/about/market/

adam

Post by adam » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:57 pm

yea thats what ive been trying to do before i put it on a gokart or something, lately iv been tryin to make fog or smoke by wrapping copper tubing around the combustion chamber and injecting oil with my bug sprayer but is wasnt really succefull and it didnt even really seam to vaporise the liqiude coming out the end of the tube that was in the exhast stream, it was probably the water and oil mixture i had or somethin, i seen on erics video where it was running on diesel and it made a whole lot of smoke so i guess that is the most successful i have done so far, i think i need a better atomiser that what i have, my injector seems to mess up the engine perfomance and and honestly i think after watching this video and lookin at the smoke that is coming out that the engine is probably lower that 70% full power, i need to see if i can build a better fuel atomiser or somethin and see if i could throttle it up all the way and make massive amounts of smoke shooting out the back a thousand mile per hour and being seen 10 miles away

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:37 pm

Very nice job, I agree that its way below 70. It was getting some higher thrust but only for quick little bursts, I would say the average of the videos was below 50% power.

It can be really a little decieving because you can throttle it down so low, great demonstration of the start up too.

Still, awesome demonstration of the exhaust flow speed and how much fog it makes. That was quite a bit of fog, now when you get it really tuned for fog generation, you wont be able to see your truck parked down the road at all :D

I went through my video archive, Im pretty sure that chinese fogger run I showed you was with kerosene, maybe try pure kero, and maybe a diesel / kero mix.

I have a few quick ideas that you could try out, if you have some 1/4" copper tubing or can go to home depot and get a coil.

Ill post some sketches in a few minutes.

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:49 pm

Ok heres a sketch for a simple heat loop, with a venturi style nozzle near the front of the intake, so that most of the fog is blown out, with your little sprayer providing the flow it should work very well. You will need the propane to get most of the thrust but this should make a hell of a lot of fog.
Attachments
foggercoil.GIF
foggercoil.GIF (4.44 KiB) Viewed 14752 times

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

adam

Post by adam » Tue May 01, 2007 1:25 am

hey that looks like a good idea! do you think that will actually heat the copper tube more than wrapping it around the hot sections on the outside of the engine?probably so write! since its like a firery hell inside that thing. well i might try this idea but the bend or venturi part i think i wont need since it is pressurised, the copper tube i have is just a straight tube with wholes in a radial pattern and the end being blocked off like your injecter systems but not 100% radial like your infinijector and also way way more crapyer, my thing sprays like a jet stream in a radial pattern so i rigged a spring over the copper tube and slided it over the hole openings to interfere with the jet stream to make a little atomisation it works a little but do you think this is why i cant throttle it up with out it starting to burp all weird and wanting to flame out. i ussualy run this set up the best when the propane is being injected just a little over running idle, if it is any lower the diesel fuel will cuase it to pop and then flame out, i have tryed to increase the propane and it seems to run better when diesel fuel is introduced, but i think if i give it more propane then the diesel fuel i inject gives it to much fuel and it doesnt work or the engine flames out, i think i just need to atomise the fuel better so i can throttle it up good on diesel from a low setting on propane, what do you think eric?

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue May 01, 2007 2:21 am

The coil on the inside will get pretty damn hot since it will be exposed to the core gas temp, but a coil around the outside would also work.

The coil on the inside would be easy to adjust just by sliding back and forth, to find the best spot for fogging, then it would be easy for you to make something more permanant and non adjustable like a wrapped coil.

If you do things right barely any of the diesel will be used as fuel, and almost all of it converted into fog.

Having the tip of the nozzle bent up so it is away from the wall of the intake will help atomize the fuel even further even though it is under pressure from your tank, the velocity at the center of the intake is higher than at the wall.

If you get the coil hot enough you should be able to spray the heated outside of the intake, where the engine actually wont injest any of the fog, but the adjustable loop will make it easy for you to find the perfect ballance between fog and running on diesel.

Eric

adam

Post by adam » Tue May 01, 2007 4:14 am

hey eric i am definately going to try this but before i do i have a quick question! remember how i told you that i had wrapped coils around the combustion chamber using copper tubing and the end was in the jet stream and the other end connected to my bug sprayer, well i had that 80% water to about 20% 2 cycle oil mix and i was thinking it might make a mix of some fog and smoke from the oil and water but even on full throttle with the engine blazing hot the liquide that was coming out the other end just looked like warm or hot water, not supper heated steam or smoke or anything like that, well i remember you said that water is cools quicker and that might have been coiling the coils too much or something like that? well if i do this method like you are saying and use 100% diesel it should smoke up just from being hot right or does it need to be really really hot or super heated i should say to start smoking, im going to try what you said and make it so the copper tube comes back out the intake about 6 inches or so what do you think? and im going to try and get all the throttle just from the propane and use just the diesel as a smoke ingredient. im hoping it will smoke thow from just being heated and not actually being combusted as a fuel because i can see how that is producing smoke beause it is burning the fuel. hope to see what your opinion is!

jmbarrio

diesel pulse jet

Post by jmbarrio » Tue May 01, 2007 5:37 am

Hi Adam or Eric, could any of you send me the link of Eric`s video running it with diesel, (the one that Adam said it fogs a lot), I couldn't find it on the forum.thanks.

adam

Post by adam » Tue May 01, 2007 6:33 am

hey well the one i saw was in eric file, i guess go to file list and only search for Erics file and i think the title is a zip file or somethin and the title is "liquide fueling"or somethin like that youll find it if you look through the zip file on his files

adam

Post by adam » Tue May 01, 2007 6:35 am

ahww here it is >> its "chinese liquid feuling" in the zim file